Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    Stand up straight and turn your torso and around your lower body and see how many degrees of shoulder turn you can make. For me being a low handicap golfer, I can easily turn a full 90* and then some. now stand up straight and hinge at your hips until your torso has come down about 45* then try to see how many degrees of shoulder turn you can make. IT will be drastically reduced. On a road bike, you have very little visibility around and behind you because as your spine angle tilts, the ability to rotate around your torso decreases. IT's not big deal on a racing/road bike, you are focused on what is in front of you and going fast. Hybrids are designed to give you the upright positioning that will let you see around if your commuting and not force you to have strong abs to maintain the hunched over aerodynamic position. There are so many types of hybrids these days but many of them are WAY faster than a MTB and Way more versatile than a race bike. Put 32mm CX tires on a flatbar hybrid and you can take it down a bumpy country dirt road and easily rip away at 20mph. that wont be too fun on a road bike with 23's on it.
    Well if you can name me a hybrid that I would gladly sell my present bike for then you win!! You can change position on just about any bike to get the fit you want. For example long low stem with flat bars vs. short high stem with riser bars. Tour divide riders add aero bars for long stretches of road. That is about as much of a dirt road long ride as you will find anywhere and folks aren't using hybrids for that.

mtbr member
    Please suggest hardtail for touring-20121201-img_1450_zpsdc5e364e.jpg

how bout something like this? This is my fargo which i got a deal on in i think july its a 2012 i put the fork and flat bar on which cost almost as much as the bike!
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Please suggest hardtail for touring

Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    Well if you can name me a hybrid that I would gladly sell my present bike for then you win!! You can change position on just about any bike to get the fit you want. For example long low stem with flat bars vs. short high stem with riser bars. Tour divide riders add aero bars for long stretches of road. That is about as much of a dirt road long ride as you will find anywhere and folks aren't using hybrids for that.
    The giant rapid is a flat bar road bike with geometry similar to their defy road bike but not exactly the same. Its one of the few hybrids on the market that uses caliper brakes instead of cantis or vbrake. Throw some cx tires o. It and hoj would be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Our definitions of touring are probably quite different. Id love to see someone ride my trails with panniers. Frame bags sure.
    I guess they are.

I have ridden single track with my trailer and a friend with his panniers ... the Munda Biddi is a mix of track forms including single track, pea gravel descents/ascents and fire roads for example. Sorry but I don't have photos of the single track; I guess I was more focused on riding on those sections but others may have.

The Waterous Trail is an off-shoot of the Munda Biddi ... sorry but not many photos of the single track ... this one gives a hint of the overgrowth at least

Also check out the riding of the likes of the Bicycle Nomads through South America ...

Andrew

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Please suggest hardtail for touring

Fair enough but if you could pull a trailer on singletrack you obviously didnt NEED a suspension fork, you chose to have one

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Fair enough but if you could pull a trailer on singletrack you obviously didnt NEED a suspension fork, you chose to have one
    Clearly your experience with panniers and trailers and riding pretty rough stuff is different to mine. I ride the same trails without the trailer as I would with it; more so now that I am pulling an Extrawheel Voyager and as far as I am concerned I much prefer the suspension fork. Could I ride it without? Of course I could and I have done single track on a Surly Long Haul Trucker. Is this my preferred ride choice for such tracks? No.

So personally I will stick to use my bike with a suspension fork when it suits me.

Cheers
    Andrew

mtbr member
    For $100 more, you could have this...Sette Razzo 29er X7 20in Bike - DEMO at Price Point

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    After doing a bit of research, I decided to go with a Giant Revel 1. Its fairly "inexpensive", $530 or so for the bike, and it seems like it'll do the job. I'll post a more thorough review with it once I get it equipped. The one issue I'm having now is getting a frame bag. It will need to be custom made.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuyOnABike View Post
    I'll post a more thorough review with it once I get it equipped. The one issue I'm having now is getting a frame bag. It will need to be custom made.
    Does it have rack eyelets? I know a lot of the Specialized bikes do. I would thing that a rack and panniers would be a lot less expensive than a custom frame bag.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yep, it does. That was one of the things we looked at when I went to "eye" the bike at my LBS.

my planned bag layout may be a bit excessive for short term trips, but if I can make it out for month long+ trips, i'll need the space. Going to check around at my local seamstress shops to see what they'll charge to make the bag if possible.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Our definitions of touring are probably quite different. Id love to see someone ride my trails with panniers. Frame bags sure.
    Sounds like you ride harder trails, but I've completed the Colorado Trail Race with panniers and an old 1994 Cannondale hardtail. Worked pretty damn well. While I now prefer my full-suspension bike with a seat bag & frame bag, there's no reason why someone can't have a great bikepacking experience with panniers.
    Last edited by TobyGadd; 03-08-2013 at 07:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i AM GETTING READY TO BUY A Surly Ogre for touring and then use it for a commutter to work. you can put Fenders and racks on it at the same time . it is a 29er

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2