Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    I am running the same shoes as Vik posted, the Freerider Elements. I use a Louis Garneau shoe cover, the same as I use for Hi-Impacts and trail runners. With the shoe covers I can get my Hi-Impacts to stay dry for hours riding or shoveling snow (I do have the Impacts sprayed with waterproofer as well- helps tons).

So far, no real world data. I was hoping the Freerider Elements could work better in long-term hike-a-bike conditions, like AZT750 or CTR. Hi-Impacts suck at that- they only work well for short term day hiking IMO.

Pedals are Black Ops Nylo-Pro. I was using trail runners but on my third big ride last year I developed knee pain. I think I wear out the trail runners and they flex too much- or something. I wasnt getting proper grip and drive like with Hi-Impacts so I am back to 5.10. I hope this works I dont want to ride clipless anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've also settled on the Freeriders (though not the Elements). I've put some pretty good mileage on them and a few extended rides 5+ hours and they were super comfy. I think they hike a bike just fine too.

Vik, let us know how the Elements hold up. I'm interested in a pair for the Colorado Trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    Vik, let us know how the Elements hold up. I'm interested in a pair for the Colorado Trail.
    Will do. I had a pair of Freeriders start to fall apart on me after 5 rides last summer:

vikapproved | Five Ten Freerider VXi Review

But I have had amazing service from my 5.10 Impact Low shoes so I'm going to chalk that up to a mistake during fabrication.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Well my Freerider Elements worked well in the azt750 but they failed in the Grand Canyon after about 6 miles. By fail I mean they went soft and all ground punishment was transferred to the feet.

For the first 650 miles they were awesome. Great pedaling efficiency and comfy hikeabike even on nasty stuff like Oracle Ridge and Highline Trail.
    I would use them again in CTR or AZT750 but I wouldnt try a canyon hike in them again.
    They seem to have about a 500-600 mile life for hard bikepacking use IMO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3