DFL>DNF>DNS

Planning / Scouting is half the fun (Ride report)

I've come up with a preliminary route for a 210 mile bikepacking loop right from my front door. Sweet, huh? I've been on a good portion of the route, but there are a few sections that I'm not sure how ridable / passable the loop will be. A scouting trip was in order, so I asked my wife to drop me off at one end & I'd ride home on my drawn in route thanks to Topofusion & Google Earth. In the end the day was a success, even with a few detours. Full recap can be found here: Route Scouting

Here are a few pics from the day:
    Things started out well:
    From Florence to Home Scouting

Biplanes over the desert

'C' is for Coolidge

Another detour

Little bit of HAB

Kitty litter HAB

Hang Loose Brah
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Full recap can be found here: Route Scouting
    Yikes, that`s a lot of gates and fences! You have a lot more patience than I do- congrats on picking your way through it!
    Recalculating....

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Way too many fences for my liking. Reminds me a little of some of the forestry land around here; the local logging company realized they could start charging for licenses and started putting up fences everywhere to stop bike campers. 2 years ago everything was free; now you have to fight hundreds of people to get one of only a few licenses that are exceedingly expensive, and there's gates everywhere.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    To be fair the first 3-4 fences/gates I came across just prevented me from getting back to my planned route. I want to say I only had to go through 2 or 3 over the entire 45 miles, but other rides in the area can be littered with ranch gates. It's all part of the experience, kind of like downed trees up north.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post

Hang Loose Brah

I lived in AZ for 5 years and never saw a cactus on any hiking trip that looked like that last pic! Impressed!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizco76 View Post
    I lived in AZ for 5 years and never saw a cactus on any hiking trip that looked like that last pic! Impressed!
    It's a crested Saguaro, they're kinda rare. This one is particularly cool because of the symmetry, hence the 'Shaka' cactus moniker. It's in the San Tan Mtn regional park off the south end of the San Tan Trail just west of the large HAB wash crossing.

There's another impressive one at the Dixie Mine trailhead in Fountain Hills.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth