mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Overnighter - North Queensland

Hey,

Here is some pics and description of last weekend!

Overnighter - North Queensland-img_1821.jpg
    Packing the bike and extra wheel

Overnighter - North Queensland-img_1824.jpg
    Overnighter - North Queensland-img_1823.jpg
    Leaving Bluewater, where i left my car (big thanks to the Tassie couple who said they would keep in eye on it for me!!)

Overnighter - North Queensland-img_1833.jpg
    Overnighter - North Queensland-img_1826.jpg
    Overnighter - North Queensland-img_1829.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1830.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1831.jpg
    Climb as far as i can before dark! Here is my campsite!

Overnighter - North Queensland-img_1832.jpg
    Night before

Overnighter - North Queensland-img_1834.jpg
    Waking up to the clouds on the hill!! Rained a little during the night, but still 24 degrees (tough in the tropics)

Overnighter - North Queensland-img_1854.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1835.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1840.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1841.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1844.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1845.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1846.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1847.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1848.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1850.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1851.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1852.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1853.jpg
    Pics of the trail, i had to cut the trip short. Broke a pedal and a suspension bolt!! I was planning a 2 nighter, but decided that I didn't want to be 50km from civilization and break anything else!!

Overnighter - North Queensland-img_1843.jpgOvernighter - North Queensland-img_1842.jpg
    This is called "Wait a while" the thorns run down the zine and hang over the trail. Once it grabs on your clothing or skin it can drag you of the bike. Had some close calls.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Looks like a great trip Tibbsy. I'd love to get up north and ride some day.
    How does the trailer feel to tow?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The Extra Wheel trailer is great, tracks really well even on roughy ground.

Some great riding around Townsville (really active MTB club) and great trails!

I'm a Victoria living up here, so the heat and humidity is a challenge...

weirdo
    Looks nice! I`ve never been anywhere in Oz, but it looks a lot greener in that area than most of the pics people post. Or maybe because of a seasonal thing? How did you get around the broken pedal and suspension bolt?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Bravo! Way to rock it solo.

Looks like some sticky mud...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    rodar y rodar - Yer OZ varies a lot in the terrain, climate and trails. I'm in Townsville at the moment, which is in Far North Queensland (which is Wet Topical). But Townsville tends to miss the rain and stays verys dry. The hills i was riding in catches the rain the Townsville misses so is always damp (hence wet tropical) as well as humid and hot!!

Suspension bolt i managed to get the broken end out and i manages to get a couple of threads to hold. Then cable ties and a Sh#t load of tape to hold it all together (just in case). Pedal - the pedal frame kept inwinding from the shaft. I pulled it apart and the best i could re-assembled, but i think there were some missing parts so i could stop it in winding. So would have to stop ever kilometer or so and tighten.

She&I - really sticky!! But hot and sweaty too!!

mtbr member
    May 2010

Overnighter - North Queensland

I've not been to Townsville since, well 1988'or so. I need to make a trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Was that up around Paluma? I grew up in Townsville and know that area from camping as a kid. It can be hella wet there. winter is glorious though. enjoy it mate!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wingy - Yep it the track between Bluewater and Paluma, great country out there!! Getting hot, wet and sticky now.... but the winter was great, top riding weather.

mtbr member
    Cool pics, thanks for the post. That "wait around" looks like rough stuff!
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey Tibbsy. Any chance of a message with the plot? I might be up there later in the year and that would make a top diversion from family stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hi Tibbsy
    is there many folks getting out bikepacking in NQ Tvl etc? there is a small group based in Mky proposing a cpl bikepacking rides ( routes not determined at this time ) during the year. if you operate on FB you could send you a link?
    cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey there Boreit,
    Not sure how many others are up in Townsville bikepacking. I know that I've chatted over facebook (though a group page "Bikepaking North Queensland") with a few poeple when I did a ride along the Dalbeg Track earlier this year. But I don't really know of many others. How about in Mackay, is there good spots for bikepacking?