mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Which Osprey would you recommend for a trip like the San Juan Huts?

Right now I've got an Osprey Raptor 14 I use for the trails and around town and I love it. But I'm doing the Durango to Moad San Juan Hut ride in July and I'm going to need something that will hold more.

My buddy picked up a Manta 30, which has some pretty nice features and plenty of space it seems. I was looking at the Manta 36 or the Escapist 30, both in the S/M size.

The Manta has a 400ci advantage over the Escapist and has an actual load rating. Other than that and the different suspension systems, they look like they have very similar features.

Anyone have any direct comparisons and could give me some insight?

mtbr member
    I bought the Manta and it is a great pack. Very comfortable on and off the bike. I went bigger myself since you can cinch the side compression straps down if you do not need or want the space. The larger volume allows you to carry bulkier items. Arguably some people will say that if you buy the bigger pack you'll pack it full and overload yourself. It takes some self discipline.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I ended up getting a Talon 33 tried on a Manta 30 while shopping liked the Talon better it's a little less "feature-y" and hence a bit lighter than the two you mentioned which I like.that said Osprey doesn't make any junk as far as I can tell.you should be happy with any of them. as to overloading the pack I've ended up cinching it down quite a bit both times I actually got to use it for it's intended purpose.
    I turn wrenches at a not for profit bike shop in Denver called The Bike Depot

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the input. I'm going to see if anyone has both models I'm looking at, in stock, and try them out.

mtbr member
    +1 for the Manta 36

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I couldn't find anyone who carried the Escapist of any size in stock, so I'll probably be going with the Manta 36.

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I went with the manta myself. Its just a little heavier than the Talon but includes the 3L bladder. By the time you add the bladder to the Talon (if you do) it will be heavier than the Manta. The Manta also has the "air back" and this is a nice feature that helps keep your back cooler.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods

Which Osprey would you recommend for a trip like the San Juan Huts?

Depends on how much you want to carry. I used the Raptor 10 on the TDR last year and it was quite stuffed at times but if I'd gotten a larger one I would have overpacked.

um... yeah
    Oct 2006
    I have an Escapist 30 and like it a lot. It's too big for daily trips but I've used it bikepacking. I have a Raptor for regular mountain biking. You'll probably be fine either way. Osprey makes good stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by acefaser View Post
    I went with the manta myself. Its just a little heavier than the Talon but includes the 3L bladder. By the time you add the bladder to the Talon (if you do) it will be heavier than the Manta. The Manta also has the "air back" and this is a nice feature that helps keep your back cooler.
    The "air back" was a big selling point for me. Half of the guys going on this trip have the Manta now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    Depends on how much you want to carry. I used the Raptor 10 on the TDR last year and it was quite stuffed at times but if I'd gotten a larger one I would have overpacked.
    I actually have a Raptor 14 that I use for running around the trails normally.

Two Headed Boy
    I really like Deuter packs, the back system beats any other I've tried, really, really comfy! I have a 65 liter pack for backpacking, and a just picked up a Deuter Futura on clearance at a local shop that is reducing inventory for a move. Anyhow its a really nice design and honestly like it better than Ospreys....
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    I have the Escapist 30 and I love it. But the Manta is just as good if not a little better. If i recall it's a little more rigid and structured vs the Escapist. Can't loose with your choices though.