mtbr member
    Feb 2014

New question here. Options for carrying a platypus bottle without a frame pack?

I'm doing the San Juan huts Durango to Moab ride in about a month - super stoked. I'm planning on riding my existing bike, a Giant Trance 29er. Since this is a hut trip and requires relatively minimal gear, I'm planning on taking just a seat pack (revelate pika) and maybe a small top tube one for stuff I want to access while riding.

The big issue I haven't solved yet is carrying water. I'll need to go out with 5+ liters each day, especially the last few days in the desert. I'll be using a 3L camelbak pack, but need to carry the other 2+L hopefully not on the seat pack to retain better weight distribution. Ideally I'd like to carry it on the frame. Frame pack doesn't sound like that good of an option because I'd have to get an expensive custom one to fit around kinked top tube and the shock.

Is there a bottle cage out there that fits a full platypus 2L bottle, or any home-brew mods to make one? I was thinking maybe it would be possible to modify a standard aluminum cage. I only need to be able to hold a full bottle securely since I plan on dumping the whole thing into the pack when I need to.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    1.5 liters on each side of my forks there.
    Amazon.com : Topeak Modula Cage XL Waterbottle Cage : Bike Water Bottle Cages : Sports & Outdoors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Options for carrying a platypus bottle without a frame pack?-el-mariachi-bikepacking.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tagshell View Post
    The big issue I haven't solved yet is carrying water. I'll need to go out with 5+ liters each day, especially the last few days in the desert. I'll be using a 3L camelbak pack
    That sounds like a ton of water. I did it with 3L camelbak and a water bottle with drink mix in it. You'll be fine if your frame can fit a 26oz bottle in there.

mtbr member
    Another option and one I consider better than the Topeak Modula XL bidon cage is the BBB Fuel Tank XL.

Andrew

JGL
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery View Post
    That sounds like a ton of water. I did it with 3L camelbak and a water bottle with drink mix in it. You'll be fine if your frame can fit a 26oz bottle in there.
    Did you do it in July?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JGL View Post
    Did you do it in July?
    I believe late June.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Wanted to update this since I finished the trip. All went pretty well, water definitely wasn't an issue. I was glad that I had more than 3L on days 4 and 5 in the desert though.

Ended up getting a java cage to hold the 2L platypus bottle on my trance frame. The middle part of the cage squeezed the bottle but the strap held it in nicely and securely. Looked a little funny but it worked.

Unfortunately, the flexible bottle just could not stand up to the rigors of this trip. It started leaking on day 4 and was pretty much useless by day 6. Would not recommend strapping a platypus onto the frame unless you have a way to keep the shape constant and the bottle protected as you ride.