A God Without A Name

Ogden UT to Arcata CA, 900 Miles. help?

Moving there anyways. why not make it an adventure? I started with Google maps, but the path it gave me was hundreds of miles of wilderness. How does one Map out a route that will include rest stops for food and restocking?

I really want to do this! Where do I start?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Here is the "walking" path that google maps provided. Looks like it is pretty much all backroads. Using google maps on a mobile device allows you to route "off the highway". Of course, you could always bike along side the highway (but not on it). Just watch for stray cars / semi's

Ogden, UT to Arcata, CA - Google Maps

Edit: Looked more closely at the map in CA, it does look like it's in 2 state forests, although, there looks to be several "towns" / areas along the roads / state route highways. I'm at work atm, so can't check exactly. Check out google earth if you haven't already. There should be markers that you can set for different options (towns, etc..)

A God Without A Name
    Like I said, I already went over Google maps route. But I will try google earth!

mtbr member
    you proposing a mtb ride... roadbike ride... a hike?
    I've been from Humboldt to Idaho and Utah before... but in my truck.
    Can you let on more about your idea here?
    For now I'm guessing you want to mtb/bikepack all the way mostly, if not totally, off the paved roads?

A God Without A Name
    I actually have my commuter. a rigid MTB that I'd like to take on as many URBAN roads as possible. I understand highways may be suicide. and trails are really not an ideal option. I do want a relatively direct route. and I aim to camp it/ hostel it as much as I can. minimum use of motels, but the most urban ride I can get. I guess.

still planning. still open to ideas.

mtbr member
    Get the Benchmark Atlases for the states you'll be travelling through. I don't know about Utah, Nev, and CA, but the Montana and Idaho ones have great dirt road info. Then in your head, draw a 150mile wide corridor you want to travel through. Then locate all services in that area. Then, connect the services with your start point and end point based on the milage/elevation/time you want to travel (and other cool spot you want to stop at), and you have your route.
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Search through Crazy Guy on bike website. Here's an article about a guy who did it: Seems like you'll want a little more road but he did a lots back roads too.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/29er

mtbr member
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

mtbr member
    Honestly, without support driving ahead of you, I don't think the route through northern Utah and Nevada is at all possible. And it'd still be extreme with help.

There is absolutely nothing but desert east of the great salt lake until almost the Cali border. You'd have the wayward gas station once in a great while if you stuck close to pavement. But you'd have to prepare for potentially hundreds of miles with no water sources or shade in hot (or freezing) and extreme conditions. Just google Burning Man weather to get an idea of what it's like out there. The dust storms alone would be soul shattering. The plus would be you could totally ride to Burning Man which would be totally awesome.

But I think to be doable, you should swoop far south through Vegas or go north through Idaho and Oregon

Levi Early
    if you want some good offroad stuff and can stop by Fort Bragg, CA (which is about 2 hours 30 minutes South or Arcata on the coast) I would be more than happy to take you out on some trails. Just send me a pm

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I really want to do this! Where do I start?!
    As long as you have time and are not planning to haul your entire household behind you on a giant BAW trailer, it sounds like a great trip!
    +1 to posting it on Crazyguy. I`d ask on the forums there for routing tips, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I actually have my commuter. a rigid MTB that I'd like to take on as many URBAN roads as possible. I understand highways may be suicide. and trails are really not an ideal option. I do want a relatively direct route. and I aim to camp it/ hostel it as much as I can. minimum use of motels, but the most urban ride I can get. I guess.
    Rigid mtb would be my choice (very much opinion dependent), tires depending on whether you keep it paved or go rough. Trailer with a big honking water jug if you choose the later.

Urban = paved, low trafic, a town every time you`re ready for a break? Not going to happen, but...
    highways are NOT suicide. I know people who`ve ridden SLC to Reno on I-80 and their experience was consistant with what I`ve found on a few short trips on the same section. It`s sucky because of the incessant traffic and all the debris on the shoulder, but legal and actually fairly safe. Still, you can do better than "safe but sucky". Going down to Provo and across 6/50 would be a big improvement, though I bet you can find even better than that by heading north first- I`m not familiar enough to suggest any specifics, though.

I`ve ridden long stretches of high desert dirt (Winnemucca to Reno, McDermitt to Reno) and don`t think I`d want to keep it up for a trip as long as you`re looking at, but it would be possible. By sticking to the pavement, you`ll roll through the miles a lot faster, and can get away with a few water bladders in panniers rather than that a tanker full of water. By staying mostly paved, you shouldn`t ever have to carry more than 24 hrs worth, usually less. Food is light and not terribly bulky- not so much a problem.

I seriously doubt you`ll find any hostels on that route. Camping in rural UT, NV, ID, OR is easy. No matter how you route, you`ll be riding primarilly in BLM land, which is all open for camping. National Forrests vary by jusrisdiction, but I have no qualms about camping (no fires) on NFS land even where it`s legally prohibitted. Warmshowers might find you a few stops here and there, too.
    Recalculating....

weirdo
    Here are 120 trip reports from people who`ve ridden the ACA Western Express route from SLC to CA (paved high desert), mostly on US 50:
    crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: Journals by Category: Routes / North America / United States / Adventure Cycling Association routes / Western Express

My Winnemucca-Gerlach-Reno trip (unpaved high desert) from a few years ago:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/gerlachride

Mc Dermitt to Gerlach, unpvaed:
    Denio Junction To Gerlach Photos by brianylupita | Photobucket
    McDermitt To Denio Photos by brianylupita | Photobucket

And I`m not a maniac like Collin G or some of the REAL crazy dudes who post up here. So, crossing the desert is doable, even for a regular Joe. Still, I betcha the scenery is a lot nicer and the services closer together if you go through southern ID and OR.
    Recalculating....

A God Without A Name
    My Destination may have just made a HUGE change from Arcata to Beaumont (Palm Springs area) its 200 miles shorter and dare I say. it looks a bit more fun than crossing the Nevada expanse! much more life on that road. and it looks like I'd be able to visit St George AND Vegas!

weirdo
    Hmmm... SLC to Palm Springs sounds a lot more desolate and fewer options than SLC to Arcata, in my mind. Mojave and southern NV are a lot drier and hotter than the high desert. N-S will mean hardly any climbing compared to E-W, though. Maybe do a lot of the riding at night? That`s kind of fun in its own right. What time of year are you looking at?
    Last edited by rodar y rodar; 03-11-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    Recalculating....

A God Without A Name
    early may.

mtbr member

Ogden UT to Arcata CA, 900 Miles. help?

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Here are 120 trip reports from people who`ve ridden the ACA Western Express route from SLC to CA (paved high desert), mostly on US 50:
    crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: Journals by Category: Routes / North America / United States / Adventure Cycling Association routes / Western Express
    Just to be clear, our Western Express route does not go through SLC. Although getting to it from there would be fairly easy. Here's a map showing all of our routes. Nothing direct, but you may be able to hop on and off them. And, the one's you'd be using are all paved surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    And I`m not a maniac like Collin G or some of the REAL crazy dudes who post up here. So, crossing the desert is doable, even for a regular Joe. Still, I betcha the scenery is a lot nicer and the services closer together if you go through southern ID and OR.
    Agreed, it's totally doable and would be nice(r) through Idaho and Oregon. And, if you do take that route, make sure to hit up some desert hot springs along the way
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by flumphboy View Post
    Just to be clear, our Western Express route does not go through SLC.
    Whoops! Thanks for the clarification

I was hoping somebody more familiar with your options would pop up and offer some suggestion, but it looks like no takers. Do check into your route through the SW carefully, because it apparently gets pretty tough down that way. Looks like either interstate or serious outback with very little in between, and muich sparser services and natural water sources than your original Eureka plan. That great big hole in the ground that runs dang near from Vegas to Page doesn`t help matters much either. I don`t know what roads you`re looking into, but here`s one more CGOAB article that might help somehow:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/4968
    Besides the article itself, if you click on "Guestbook" (in bold blue print, near the top of the page), you can read the author`s responses to questions other people have asked. Much of those are very OT, but some probably useful for your planning.
    Recalculating....

A God Without A Name
    As much as I hate to admit it, I've considered doing this part bus, part bike.

Most Delicious
    For the Northern California part, you should consider the books by Chuck 'Bodfish' Elliot.