• 12-29-2012
    james-o
    Great read, I've bookmarked it. Thanks for sharing!
  • 12-29-2012
    Shmoo
    That was awesome, congrats on finishing.
  • 12-29-2012
    Pete Otis Towns
    This is awesome, I'm hooked. Thanks for sharing!
  • 12-29-2012
    FNFAL
    Thanks everyone. I had a good time going over my journal I kept with me during the trip.

One day I'm going to see about getting my trip data put together. I have every day saved, from average speeds, distance traveled, elevation gained, start times, finish times, finish places, etc.
  • 12-29-2012
    pannkake
    Great read, thanks for posting it. It's good fodder for us dreamers that will do the race some day...
  • 12-29-2012
    yz129
    wow,great write up about your awesome adventure.
    i have thought that sometime in my life i would like to ride the TD.
    i have met kurt refsnider and we spoke about his & carolines 2012 tandem ride and he said it was the most gruling ride he has done. he was the record holder 2011.
    once again congrats on the adventue
  • 12-30-2012
    Junktech
    What a great read! congrats on finishing
  • 12-31-2012
    Boyonadyke
    I'd be more inclined to spend 3 or 4 years doing it, one month each summer at a time, and pick up where I left off last year. 18 hours a day in the saddle is not my idea of a good time.
  • 01-01-2013
    FNFAL
    Thanks, guys
    I think the next time I hit the Divide, I may be with my girlfriend. She wants to ride from Eureka to Banff, which is a beautiful section.
  • 01-06-2013
    veloborealis
    Nice job, good read!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    Howdy guys,

I managed to start a Wordpress for my tour divide writing. I'll be uploading all the chapters by the end of this weekend. Right now, I'm up to chapter 4. I believe I've caught all the spelling, grammar, and things that don't make sense. Hopefully.

If you are thinking about this race, give it a read.

I'm a total cycling noob, as far as TD is concerned. This is an account written by a total noob.

Nick's Misadventure Page

hooked after the first few chapters. what a great misadventure. not a bad race for a "noob", either.
  • 01-11-2013
    Unchewable
    awesome read brother
  • 01-11-2013
    random walk
    I read the whole thing earlier this week. Very inspiring.

This ride's been on my "want-to-do list" for a while, but it just shot up to the bucket list.
  • 01-11-2013
    thumbprinter
    great read, thank you so much for posting!
    i would love to do this ride someday (not as a race though). congrats on making it through!!
  • 01-12-2013
    mickeykreg
    Congrats man! Your a good writer...I love all the detail.
  • 01-13-2013
    rallyrcr
    I'm up to chapter 5! Great adventure and writing.
  • 01-22-2013
    aerotugpilot
    Great write up. Thanks for sharing.
  • 01-22-2013
    FNFAL
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I had a good time writing the piece. It brought back many memories.
  • 01-30-2013
    J2the4son
    Great read! Was up late into the night until my iPad died and was almost late for work this morning trying to finish! I am curious what the over all cost of the ride was including registration, meals, lodging, bike repairs and other misc. items. I would love to do this someday and would like to start sooner rather than later getting the funds in place.
  • 02-03-2013
    random walk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J2the4son View Post
    Great read! Was up late into the night until my iPad died and was almost late for work this morning trying to finish! I am curious what the over all cost of the ride was including registration, meals, lodging, bike repairs and other misc. items. I would love to do this someday and would like to start sooner rather than later getting the funds in place.

I would also like to see the OP's costs for this. I'm also in the very early planning stages (it will be years away), so that will be a valuable data point.

But in the meantime, there are a few sources out there that provide costs. Here's one that was from the early 2000's, with the ride being executed over 82 days, including 18 "zero" days. So if you adjust for inflation, it should give you an idea of the cost (food & lodging) for a leisurely-paced trip.
  • 02-05-2013
    andrwplsn
    Holy crap dude! i just read the entire thing! you are a champion!
  • 02-05-2013
    balexander87
    Thanks to you, my productivity went to zero over the past 24 hrs as every free moment (and a few not free moments :-/) was spent pouring over your write-up! Excellent job, on both the Tour and the blog! You do a great job of communicating what it felt like to be out there, especially the parts that don't exactly meet the average persons expectations.
  • 02-05-2013
    vikb
    I haven't finished, but it's been a good read. I'm never going to race the TD so it's great to get an inside perspective of what it's like....:thumbsup:
  • 02-05-2013
    TitanofChaos
    amazing, I read the whole thing in one sitting

Congratulations on the journey
  • 02-05-2013
    fdatx2
    Thanks for sharing this, it was fun to read.
  • 02-10-2013
    boredatwork
    Congrats on finishing and thanks for the great read. More specifically, thank you for not spending the first nine chapters whining about how much you miss your ex. ;-)