mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Newb's first overnight.

Been wanting to get into this for a while but haven't been able to take the time off work. Bought some bags from Jpaks and have been depressed just using them on my road commuter. Finally said "screw it" I'm just gonna ride this weekend. So I did. I can't wait to do this again. Ill have more time when the weather cools down since work slows drastically. Rode from home to a nearby national forest and spent the night. Planned to explore a lot more but unfortunately we had a pretty strong storm Saturday evening that kept us confined to my tarp. Good thing we had a flask of whiskey and gin rummy. Used my soma juice. Ended up slapping some gears on it with barcon shifters mounted on pauls thumbies set to friction mode for a 2x9. Unfortunately 3 miles after leaving home I somehow (no clue) tore my sidewall on my rear tire. Turned around and changed it out for a brand new knobby tire i had that I didn't want to succumb to road riding oh well, it got me there and I couldn't have been happier. I brought my pipe tobacco, whiskey, and plenty of coffee. I was set. In my hammock by 9 pm. Up by 7. Best night of sleep I've had in a while...

Gear I brought was overkill but I wanted tiger a feel for when I attempt multiple nights. Definitely had to stop a few times to re-secure my front bags from sagging Into my front wheel. Finally found the proper way to do it.

Let me know if y'all have any questions about gear/setup and whatnot. If you're new like me and are thinking about doing this, stop thinking and just do it. It's amazing. No other words to explain it.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kikoraa; 09-23-2013 at 05:27 AM.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Looks like a great weekend. Well done on just doing it

Andrew

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    That smile in the last photo says it all.

(side note: Do you like the Juice? It made the shortlist of bikes when I was looking at another bike, but I couldn't find one locally to look at it)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Newb's first overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    That smile in the last photo says it all.

(side note: Do you like the Juice? It made the shortlist of bikes when I was looking at another bike, but I couldn't find one locally to look at it)
    Haha, big ole goofy smile. Caught me at an awkward moment.

The juice is great. I mainly run it as an ss but I made it a 2x9 for this trip. Super fast Flicky bike. Ridden a lot of 29ers but this one seems the most agile. Ill take my Fs 26" trance x for any all day single track rides.

The soma is still an excellent bike and hauled my gear without much flex. Even dissipated vibrations nicely on miles an miles of gravel roads.

I'm 5'9 with a longer inseam and shorter arms.

70mm stem with 730mm bars. I love a wide grip. Especially when it's SS. My trance is 70x720mm and my fixed gear roadie has wide cyclocross bars.

The soma has been one of the best fitting 29ers for ME. Medium frame.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and ill try my best to answer.

There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    That looks awesome. I'd love to do something like that. Now I just have to look up all the things I'm not familiar with like: Flickie, Paul's Thumbies, friction mode, flex, etc... Haha.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Newb's first overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by roknfnrol View Post
    That looks awesome. I'd love to do something like that. Now I just have to look up all the things I'm not familiar with like: Flickie, Paul's Thumbies, friction mode, flex, etc... Haha.
    Flicky - how agile the bike feels.

Pauls thumbies- adapters to use bar end shifters as trigger shifters for flat bars

Friction mode - typically you can switch the rear bar end shifter from index shifting to friction mode. Good for touring bikes in case of cable/derailleur malfunctions. I set mine to friction because its made for 8 speed but use it with a 9 speed cassette so index mode didn't have enough clicks.

Flex- frames can flex, so can forks, cranks, bottom brackets ect....

mtbr member
    Thanks!