Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Nalgene Compatible Bottle Cage - recommendation

Ski season is ending here in CO so it is time to pull out the bikes - does anyone know if there is a good bootle cage that is compatible with nalgene type bottles??? Cheers-

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by zgco
    Ski season is ending here in CO so it is time to pull out the bikes - does anyone know if there is a good bootle cage that is compatible with nalgene type bottles??? Cheers-
    Ummm... no. But more to the point, why? I'm assuming you want a cage that will hold their liter bottles?

Even if you could find a cage to hold the liter bottles, it would ONLY hold the liter bottles which aren't very bike-friendly to begin with due to the screw caps.

If it's a brand-loyalty thing, you can buy 625 ml (20oz) nalgene bike bottles that will work with virtually every bottle cage in the free world.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    Right. But even more to the point, bottle cages pretty much suck. I haven't ever found one that holds on to a bottle well through rough trail riding, and haven't found a bottle that's anywhere near as convenient as a camelback or platypus.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdukeferdinand
    Right. But even more to the point, bottle cages pretty much suck. I haven't ever found one that holds on to a bottle well through rough trail riding, and haven't found a bottle that's anywhere near as convenient as a camelback or platypus.

I agree that camelbaks are the way to go, even though I never had much trouble with losing bottles on the trail. I just like the 100 oz (or more) capacity, and the ability to carry lots of tools, tubes, etc.

The exception comes when riding my road bike. I prefer bottles on the road for a few reasons. 1) I don't tend to drink quite as much and there're more places to fill up if necessary. 2) I stay cooler without the camelbak, and 3) I'd much rather let the bike carry the weight of the liquid on a long road ride than have that weight on my back the whole time.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Moderator Moderator

Great Idea.

I guess I am the only one left that thinks hydration packs suck. I think a Nalgene - type of water bottle cage would be a great idea. I've got a bunch of those 64 - ounce widemouth bottles I use for camping that would be awesome for holding a lot of water and get that weight off your back at the same time.

How do you guys like the sweaty back effect? I think it sucks and never could get use to it....

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    I get sweaty body effect, so the back doesn't really bother me. As for hydration packs, you can just get a bladder by itself. I use a 100oz bladder in my expedition size pack when backpacking (though I take a nalgene with me for tea and another one as a pee bottle if I'm high-alttitude winter camping). You can't roll up 3 empty nalgene bottles into something smaller than your fist. Getting a platy or camelback doesn't mean saying goodbye to the nalgenes so many of us love, but having both I think that bladders are far more convenient for long backpacking or biking trips for a number of reasons.

I think I paid $15 for my biggest bladder and it easily transfers from pack to pack. When biking I have a little daypack that has a pocket that holds my platypus perfectly, and plenty of compressions straps so I can make sure nothing moves around when I go off a jump. Also has room for a shell, extra layer, etc... All things you really should have with you if going on a long biking trip in the mountains. Some scissors and seam grip made the hose routing as convenient as on any commercially avialable hydration pack. Also, 64 or 100 oz of water attached to the frame of your bike would slosh all over the place, I have enough problem staying on my bike without it being pushed around by something like that. Finally, never having to stop to drink might be the biggest benefit. I can chug water while in midair, or when the bike's on top of me because I've done something stupid.

workin' it Administrator
    This is a really old thread but has there been a breakthrough on this front in the last 7 years? It would be nice to bring a nalgene on my down tube bottom carrier of the jones without a) losing it and b) breaking the frame.

To answer the question I am bike packing in the desert this weekend with a forecasted high of 91°F and a lot of elevation to gain with almost no relative humidity.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    is this what your looking for?

Salsa Cycles | Components
    so my afro now sticks out of my helmet.

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    I have the Anything Cage on my bike packing rig and the 32oz Nalgene fits, but there's till a lot of room left and a bit over kill. It works, but not ideal to me. To give you and idea, a Jetboil Sumo Companion Cup - 1.8 Liter fits in it perfectly.

since 4/10/2009
    I would rather carry Nalgene cantenes and toss 'em in a bag.

the Cantene I have is the only Nalgene that sees outdoor use. my regular Nalgenes get used for day-to-day water toting duties because they're rather heavy compared to soft-sided containers.

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    Frame Bag.
    Done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I throw a Nalgene bottle or two into my rack bag (trunk) to refill the smaller bottle in cages:

The nice thing is the bag is insulated and if I fill the bottle(s) with ice, they will stay cold for at least 5 hours. Nice to top off that last bottle with ice for the ride back home.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Minoura Japan ? AB-1600

Is the closest thing I can think of. I was gonna use one to get the water weight on m BP rig closer to the COG but I think I'm actually gonna use a bladder in a frame bag.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Minoura Japan ? AB-1600

Is the closest thing I can think of. I was gonna use one to get the water weight on m BP rig closer to the COG but I think I'm actually gonna use a bladder in a frame bag.

That looks like it would work well. Just use a mini bungee around the bottle to make it more secure.

aka RossC
    This might work: Topeak® Cycling Accessories

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean breathes salty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeShopMonkey View Post

Looks like the Anything Cage is probably as close as I will get. The issue is bike packing, at least for me, here in the AZ desert requires water. A lot of it. I was to do a trip this weekend but unfortunately contracted a stomach flu instead. The guys that did it said they used upwards of 240oz to get there. Then they refilled and returned. 10-12 hr ride each way. No where but a few watering holes to refill with a filter between the car and the campsite which has a water source that is potable.

The other issue is that the ride is typical AZ terrain, rocks, drops and ledges. Lots of things that can cause a bottle to UFO right out on a descent. So a 32oz bottle of water wouldn't take a ton to eject. I am avoiding a frame bag because I have 3 bottle mounts already and with a frame bag it would probably be full of water anyhow. Plus they are more expensive than the anything cage.

I check out the topeak cage at REI and it would not hold something the size of a nalgene.

Ultimately for us here the best solution seems to be 2 bladders in our packs, as many water bottles as we can bolt on and visits to water to refill where ever we can find them.

I will get at least one of the anything cages and report back as to how they handle technical riding with a nalgene. As soon as I stop having to run to the bathroom.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    i just got two of these 4.0's and made a thin nylon shell to protect the bladder from sharp objects. they have a zip lock opening between the handles and i have connected the drinking hose accessory to them.

they work in a camelback configuration or stuffed in your frame bag. two of these full of water weigh almost as much as my bike. but it will get you thru most long dessert rides.
    so my afro now sticks out of my helmet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a Topeak module xl cage, fits a 1.5 liter bottle, off the shelf size water bottle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Kleen Kanteen makes cages for their stainless bottles - only 27oz but stainless > plastic any day.

Klean Kanteen Accessories: Bike Cages for Water Bottles

I have one, but it's on my road bike so can't comment on how secure the bottle is on trails yet.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeShopMonkey View Post

thats kinda what I was looking for.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    don't know if its really what your looking for but bontrager makes a cage that will hold camelback thermos bottles, they are fatter than regular bottles but the cage is open in front and stretches Bontrager RL Cage - Water Bottles & Cages - Accessories -Trek Store

check post 56 Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!
    Last edited by t0pcat; 11-06-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: spelling
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Verified that the Topeak Modula XL fits a Nalgene 1L very well. Here's a pic of one mounted 'neath the downtube, on my Trucker. I brought it along for Steripen use; otherwise I'd have simply used a 1.5L bottle down there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I work in .001 tolerances
    Not a cage per se, but here's a RukSak with 32oz Nalgene compatibility. 3/16" insulated foam liner and drawstring closure.
    Pretty stable for a 32oz container of water!

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I had a guy come in the other day with a Nalgene crammed into a Zefal Pulse cage. He said he has been using it like that for a couple years now (on a road bike). Shoulda snapped a picture. Seemed like it was holding pretty good too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN View Post
    Not a cage per se, but here's a RukSak with 32oz Nalgene compatibility. 3/16" insulated foam liner and drawstring closure.
    Pretty stable for a 32oz container of water!

this is the direction i am going in using his ruksak. already tested on my relative design feedbag. works with a 48oz. nalgene bottle on the roughest of MTB trails when you tighten the top string thingy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast