Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

My new Trucker Deluxe single speed travel bike

Posted this over at bikeforums.net, but here's it it for the mtbr folks.

Here's my new Surly Trucker Deluxe. I've built mine as a single speed, gravel/road/dirt/wherever travel bike. I travel all over for work, so this build will let me explore some new places on my bike. Singapore, western Africa, Brazil, Europe, etc. are all places I travel to with some regularity. Because of this, I've built this bike for maximum simplicity, durability, and reliability. 26" mtb wheels, rugged single speed drive train (steal Surly chainring and White Industries freewheel), platform pedals, regular old v-brakes. Right now it's geared at 64" with a 17t freewheel, but I can go down to 16 or up to 18 or 19 depending on where I'm going. The packing and touring strategy is ultralight bikepacking style, with Revelate Designs packs and minimal amounts of gear. That way, not only is it easier to pack up and drag through the airport, but also easier to push the single gear up and over hills.

The frame is new, but most of the parts are used/NIB stuff I've had lying around.

Here's some specs and pics:

Frameset: 2012 Surly Trucker Deluxe, 56cm, color Dave's Frozen Tears
    Front Wheel: Mavic XC717 rim laced to Surly Ultra New hub, 32h, DT Swiss butted spokes, brass nipples
    Rear Wheel: Mavic XC717 rim laces to White Industries Eno Eccentric hub, 32h, DT Swiss butted spokes, brass nipples
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Stem/Bars/Grips/Levers: Ritchey Pro stem, Surly Open Bar, 40mm rise, ODI grips, Avid Speed Dial SL levers
    Brakes: Avid Single Digit 7
    Saddle/Seatpost: Brooks B17 Standard, Truvativ XR Double Clamp post, Salsa seat clamp
    Drivetrain: Shimano Ultegra 6503 cranks / bb, Surly 42t chainring, White Industries freewheel, Sram PC-850 chain
    Pedals: Shimano DX platforms
    Tires: WTB Nano 26x2.1" or Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.0

Bags are either Carradice Zipped Roll and Camper Longflap w/ Bagman QR or a full set of Revelate Designs bikepacking bags, depending on location and duration of trip.

Makes me wanna go 'splorin!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Looks like fun

Cumbria, England.
    Nice, clean looking bike. Were you not tempted to put disc brakes on though?

Edit: Sorry, I should have noticed that there were no disc tabs.
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    There are no disc mounts on this frame. Also, v-brakes take up less space when the bike is packed up and the availability of v-brake parts in less bikey parts of the world is an advantage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Love the v brakes! I run a shorty ultimate canti on the rear end of my troll, just for that reason. Has more space, and discs are bling and not always needed.

The bike build you came up with rocks! Looks like a fun ride. How small can that bike get collapsed? Just curious.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice build on a handsome frame! You sure do have a lot of room behind that seat tube - impressive you can fit the pump back there. I have those WTBs, too, but I will say I switched out the rear tire with something that has a little more dig. I felt this was a better tire up front only.

Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nice, looks like a perfect all-round explorer. Simple too. Love the colour.

Singapore, western Africa, Brazil, Europe, etc. are all places I travel to with some regularity.
    Not envious here at all .. !

What weight would you carry on it as a SS? I took my SS out 'packing recently, just a local overnight with less than 10lbs and no major hills, worked well. SS and bikepacking are a nice combo, if you can balance it all out. Dunno how much more would be ok on biger hills tho.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    really nice bike! do you have any photos of it all packed up and what type of case will you put it in?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I like these though it seems a shame Surly did not make them with a horizontal dropout. One of these would be ideal with my Rohloff.

Great set up on yours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Very NIce

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    best build I've seen in a while.
    report back with 10,000 international miles and your top 15 pictures.

mtbr member
    nice bike
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Super clean build, nice. How do you tension the chain? I have run magic gear before with great results.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylemurboy View Post
    Super clean build, nice. How do you tension the chain? I have run magic gear before with great results.
    He runs an eccentric (sp?) rear hub (WI ENO).

meh... whatever
    nice, clean, simple build -- well done.
    "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slims View Post
    He runs an eccentric (sp?) rear hub (WI ENO).
    Somehow I read that but it didn't stick... DOH. Thanks!

meh... whatever
    what will you be packing it in? an s&s case? regular large suit case? other travel case?

i have a traveler's check that i need to get a case for.
    "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

mtbr member

Yeah Dude, Rock on!!!!!!!!!!

Now thats a bike. Have been considering a very similar build myself. Simplicity, Durability, Beauty, Portability, Style, Class, Is Gangster as hell. Can you bolt a fixed cog to the other side of that hub?

mtbr member
    Man, I love that bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Beautiful! The LHT / LHTDeluxe are kind of an acquired taste - the smaller wheels, long headtube, really long chainstays give it an old MTB look that I just love, but haven't always loved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    Now thats a bike. Have been considering a very similar build myself. Simplicity, Durability, Beauty, Portability, Style, Class, Is Gangster as hell. Can you bolt a fixed cog to the other side of that hub?
    The other side appears to be for a 6 bold disc rotor... and yes, you can fix it thanks to Tomi

TomiCOGs

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Really nice build. I'd like to try a set of those handle bars some day.

Rim brakes are nice on this type of build as I hear disc rotors can get bent while traveling at times.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWickerJim View Post
    I hear disc rotors can get bent while traveling at times.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    A set of pliers will also work quite well as a last resort. But if you're really worried, you can always unbolt the disks from the wheel and transport them separately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast