mtbr member
    May 2013

multi-day trip training plan help

I need some help finding or putting together a training program.

In late September, Iíll be going on a 4 day mountain bike trip around Mt. Hood in Oregon. I've recently gotten back into mountain biking so I have much to practice before then. The part I really need some help with is training to get me ready physically while practicing the riding piece. I haven't been able to find much through Google Ė mostly long endurance races or multi-stage races. This is not a race, but I donít want to suffer too much to finish. Can anyone help?

The trip will be around 140 miles over 4 days with total climbing over 17,000 ft.

Thanks!!
    Renť

Ahhh the pain....
    very simply, you need to start riding...a lot. 140 over 4 days isn't a blistering pace (last weekend, several of us did 17k of climbing over 150 miles in 2 days....it was hard). The biggest thing I've found is as you increase your ride distance in a single day, start stringing together back to back days. Lot's of people out there can do a one-day big ride but can't get back on the bike for a few days. You have train yourself to do back to back days. In addition to riding long, low intensity stuff, mix in some intervals to develop strength. The other thing I do on BP rides is drink a recovery drink at the end of each day and wear recovery socks....seems to help.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think Raybum hit it; interval training will be your best shot. The thing I would recommend though is to give yourself recovery times. I usually do a couple of short runs through the week, 10 - 15 miles up going nice and even pace, and then the 10-15 miles at a "race" pace. I'll usually then do a hard / long distance weekend bikecamping trip.

You should be able to get back into the groove of things within a couple of months.