mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Moved: Help me pick a new Surly

My road bike was recently stolen and I'm sick of my FS 26", so I wanted to buy/build a new bike for bikepacking/touring and ride to the trails mountainbiking. I live in Florida so the conditions are rough, rooty, and sandy in the summer with no real descents. I prefer a more aggressive riding style, I air every little bump and log, and do small drops.

The bikes I am looking at are

The Pugsley, comfy tires, cool, go anywhere, some people say they aren't that bad on the road. The necro has those awesome bag mounts on the fork. Capable of running 29er wheels with the new Knard. I don't normally buy parts for my bikes after they are built though.

The Karate Monkey, awesome 29er, with room for a relatively large tire, new fork is supposed to be lighter and more supple, clean looks ( no canti bosses). capable of running the new Knard in the front.

The Ogre, same as above sacrificing looks for cool mounts, but the fork is super stiff? I don't know if the Knard will clear the canti bosses, l will never use them either.

The Krampus, not available yet, but seems like a good mix of the KM and Pugs, with more aggressive geometry.

I don't know much about bikepacking, but it is something I want to start doing soon. Should I focus on the bikes with dedicated mounts? Or would Freeload racks suit me? I don't own any gear yet, so this doesn't factor into my decision.
    Last edited by c0rpse; 11-25-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Moved to surly forum

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think you said a key word: Sandy. Get the Pug or Moonlander.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    The Pug isn't that bad on the street, it's odd how different it doesn't feel from a regular 26, but it ain't no road bike. It's also decent on the trails but I felt like the tires bounce off everything, although I didn't spend enough time on it to get the PSIs dialed in. Fun bike though.

KM is pretty nice but the geo makes it a bit less "fun". More so with the Ogre. And the Ogre is noticeably more stiff and "dead" then the KM. They'd both be good for BP duty though. And you could always to a fat front if you though it was needed.

mtbr member
    I am kind of in the same position as you and i would say the Krampus looks to be the most fun. Obviously the pugs are gonna be the best sand beasts. This guys knows his bike packing and is switching to the krampus also has a ogre while out riding

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    A bikepacking buddy has an Ogre but swapped out a suspension fork and is pleased. In fact, he also had his ride stolen and is now reconstructing it (it was also an ogre) He wasn't using the fork mounts on the rigid and doesn't miss them. He's got some burly fat 2.4's on there, though I don't recall what kind. Clearance is tight but manageable. He also has an internal 14 speed hub and a front dynamo. Its a pretty bada$$ setup and he is thoroughly happy.

FWIW.

mtbr member
    It sounds like you want versatility. I've seen karate monkeys with drop bars and skinny tires commuting and I've seen them in slayer mode with sus fork, riser bars and fat tires.

One of the fat bikes would be substantially less fun touring or commuting I would imagine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    One of the fat bikes would be substantially less fun touring or commuting I would imagine.
    You can always build up another wheelset for skinny tires. That'll give you the touring ability of a KM and for sandy expeditions, put the fatties on.

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    You can always build up another wheelset for skinny tires. That'll give you the touring ability of a KM and for sandy expeditions, put the fatties on.
    It's possible to do that with the Pug and it works really well. However the moonlander with a 28mm offset causes more problems. I won't go so far as to say 'it can't be done', but it is a technical challenge currently in search of a solution.

To the OP, the wheel swapping setup on a Pug sounds like the best compromise for what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    And the Ogre is noticeably more stiff and "dead" then the KM.
    Why would that be?

Far as I know, the Troll/Ogre are just the 1x1/KM with different dropouts, right? What else would be the difference? (Troll owner, but that's the only one of those 4 that I've ridden)

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by wahday View Post
    He also has an internal 14 speed hub and a front dynamo. Its a pretty bada$$ setup and he is thoroughly happy.

FWIW.
    That sounds like a sweet setup. Did the ogre that got stolen have a Rohloff?
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv