Explore More

Maroon Bells Loop - xpost from bikepacking.net

code: mtbr2011
    the route is slightly flawed as you go up snowmass creek road. you have selected a private road up towards wildcat reservoir. you won't be able to gain access...instead, continue straight past the deaf camp and continue a few more miles to the end. there, you'll come to a T. Right dead ends at the hiking trailhead to snowmass creek, LEFT takes you up divide road and into snowmass village.
    from there, you can take the sleigh ride trail (traverse) from the top of the divide towards the cross mountain trail (which you have highlighted) and onto the government trail, which will take you all the way to maroon creek road...a little in-town navigation will get you to castle creek road.
    keep in mind, the express creek road (10 miles up castle creek) and the ensuing taylor and star passes are all well above treeline and you should be ready for any kind of weather including the possibility of snow. that will be a monster day getting to crested butte.
    if you get shut out on the weather, there is plenty of good riding around aspen still.
    let me know if you need more riding beta around the aspen area.

Explore More
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    the route is slightly flawed as you go up snowmass creek road. you have selected a private road up towards wildcat reservoir. you won't be able to gain access...instead, continue straight past the deaf camp and continue a few more miles to the end. there, you'll come to a T. Right dead ends at the hiking trailhead to snowmass creek, LEFT takes you up divide road and into snowmass village.
    from there, you can take the sleigh ride trail (traverse) from the top of the divide towards the cross mountain trail (which you have highlighted) and onto the government trail, which will take you all the way to maroon creek road...a little in-town navigation will get you to castle creek road.
    keep in mind, the express creek road (10 miles up castle creek) and the ensuing taylor and star passes are all well above treeline and you should be ready for any kind of weather including the possibility of snow. that will be a monster day getting to crested butte.
    if you get shut out on the weather, there is plenty of good riding around aspen still.
    let me know if you need more riding beta around the aspen area.

Thanks for the info! Made the correction to the route. Just going to end up losing the ridge ride above the village. Other than that, just have to hope that the weather holds out to be able to make it up the passes. Depending on the weather, my plans could change dramatically for both this and my time afterwards around Durango-Silverton-Telluride. Just have to hope for the best.

Here's the updated route map. I've got the GPX updated too.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...284e177af4fd6a

code: mtbr2011
    when you come over divide road, you're above the start of the snowmass rim trail. the problem with the rim trail is that it takes you further down into snowmass village. you could, if you wanted to ride back up, but i think your route is better the way you have it.
    you could actually come over the divide, turn onto the ditch trail, go up the connector trail to the cross mountain trail to government. no loss of vertical...

regardless, this is a monster loop. good luck.

Explore More
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    when you come over divide road, you're above the start of the snowmass rim trail. the problem with the rim trail is that it takes you further down into snowmass village. you could, if you wanted to ride back up, but i think your route is better the way you have it.
    you could actually come over the divide, turn onto the ditch trail, go up the connector trail to the cross mountain trail to government. no loss of vertical...

regardless, this is a monster loop. good luck.
    No, not worth the extra miles and no big deal if the rim trail gets cut out. Should still be a nice view from where I come up to the ridge. I'll just head on down the trail and spend some time exploring around in Aspen.

Yes, it's a big ride, with big, long climbs and serious elevation! But, I've handled those issues before and this is being done as a bikepacking trip over 4, if not 5 days. Most critical thing is going to be the weather.

D1 - Marble to Snowmass
    D2 - to somewhere up towards Taylor Lake
    D3 - to Crested Butte or beyond
    D4 - back to Marble
    D5? - Could add a day staying around Aspen or Crested Butte?

Hey, if the weather forecast turns ugly, I can always go from Salt Lake to Bend, OR instead of CO. No problem at all killing a couple weeks there either!

Leaving tomorrow to finish work on these courses. After my Colorado stint, I'll be heading home for a couple days, then back to AZ to do the event.

Explore and Enjoy!