Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear

Just finished my first frame pack and it is harder than it looks and I learned a lot, made a few mistakes but hey thats part of learning.
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com

mtbr member

First Bag

Hey there BikePackingDude,
    Yea it can get a little tricky in some areas. Cool thing about sewing is that you can undo most of what went wrong and try again without to much damage to the material. Yea, keep it up, the more you put these things together the better you become at it and the easier it gets. Time for you to make a Handlebar pack and then a Seat Pack. Put up some pics if you can.
    T-manTorin
    North Idaho

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by bikepackingdude View Post
    Just finished my first frame pack and it is harder than it looks and I learned a lot, made a few mistakes but hey thats part of learning.
    While tough, it gives you a great feeling of accomplishment when you're done and use your bag, doesn't it? It definitely gives you a better feel for what bag makers go through with every bag. Doing exactly the same thing is how I got started making bags for other people and now it's what I do almost every day.

Like T-Man... I'd like to see a photo or two.

mtbr member
    Yeah it was a fun project and I am going to make a handlebar bag and a seat bag this winter. I am trying to post a photo but it wont upload, I am a dork with no computer skills at all lol. I will post it on my blog
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    here it is finally!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-img_1785.jpg  

ilovebikes.blogspot.com

... and if we just ...

Dude.... it looks good. What material did you use? In the photo, it looks like a softshell material of some sort. Let us know how it works out for you.

mtbr member
    Thank you 1 Speed. I did use some soft shell material for the flat parts that hit the frame and on the bottom of the hook and loop (velcro) and the main body of the pack I used 1000d Cordura.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dscf0008.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dscf0011.jpg  

ilovebikes.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Thank you 1 Speed. I did use some soft shell material for the flat parts that hit the frame and on the bottom of the hook and loop (velcro) and the main body of the pack I used 1000d Cordura.
    Nice clean looking bag !
    And your dog looks like it's begging to go outside...

Love the helper too. My helper is a cat... she loves to lay on the fabric the second it hits a flat surface. Looks like it fits well. I'm curious about how the softshell material holds up, especially where it rubs bottle mounts and cable stops. There's way more vibration in a frame bag than you'd expect.

mtbr member
    No he was tired and wanting to in the house we did a ride in the morning. I am curious about the soft shell material myself I will let you know how it holds up
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com

ITL
    mtbr member
    Great thread with good discussion.

mtbr member

Anybody ever make a sleeping bag?
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com

A guy on a bike Moderator

Make your own bikepacking gear? Bike bags? Tarps?

Share them here!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not directly bikepacking related, but. . .

Here is a hack that I did with a CO2 pump so that you can store the cartridge inside the body

Here is my attempt at some "power grip" style pedalsThis honestly didn't work all that great but ehh it might inspire someone. . .

I would love to make a frame bag and rack as well. hopefully sooner rather than later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    OT, but do you have any pics of your diy bags dream4est? Especially interested in your seat bag.

mtbr member
    I made this seat bag as a dry bag "holster" Per Jerry W's plans at:

Full DIY Bikepacking Kit

As far as I know, it is the first bag made to work with a dropper post and get full drop without any tire rub on a full suspension frame. As pictured it clears at full compression fully dropped 5" (KS i950r).

The differences from Jerrys drawings/pics are:

Cut the side panels smaller to keep holster closer to saddle.
    Spilt velcro at front and placed high around seat post clamp are to avoid limiting full travel of post.
    The extra nylon strap of top cam buckle was left long, wrapped around saddle rails and back onto itself with velcro attachment.
    Extra strap/cam buckle not attached to holster that pulls dry bag to saddle. It is the grey strap in pic.

The extra strap and extra length top cam buckle strap are needed to hold the bag in place as you cant use a post wrap front velcro attachment (like the single wrap on the Pika or the double wrap on the Viscacha) or the post will only drop an inch or two and the bag will be too low in design so it would rub the tire at full compression even if you could get the post to drop all the way "through" the velcro.

Like JerryW I am using multiple sizes of dry bags to fit the intented application. Pictured is the medium bag rolled up with a smallish load.

Total weight with dry bag and extra strap is 7.5 oz. Cost me about $8 to make if that. Volume fully loaded is about Pika level.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-bike-bag-1-004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Here is the rest.

Frame bag is bolted to water bottle mounts and has a shock cord top tube mount. Super wide 3.5" flange, foam frame and mini cordura side rub panels. 4.5 oz
    Gas Tank is your basic gas tank. 1.8oz
    Faux harness is a stem bag in the shape of a beret that mounts to stem and has a nylon strap for front lower dry bag. Bag and dry bag weigh 4oz
    Upper front dry bag is kind of like a stuffable reverse harness. Twin nylon cam buckle straps mount it to lower dry bag and bars sandwiching cables in between. 3.5oz

Material is black polyester, grey and orange silicone coated ripstop, blue cheap waterproof coated nylon and a little cordura in rub spots. Super light bags but hey I made them for AZT and CTR and I saved 1.25 lbs over the usual suspects gear.

The point here is that while the guys who make the expensive stuff are worth every penny (the time involved is significant, a point that cannot be overlooked here), the bags cannot be dialed in to your bike with alterations and IMO dont feel perfect. Good but not an extension of my bike. IMO most of us should just bust out a cheap sewing machine (borrow your aunt's) and go to town. You will remember 8th grade all over again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-bike-bag2-002.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-bike-bag2-003.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-bike-bag2-006.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hmmm, my saddle bag is based on the same design, but it likes to wobble all over when I have just my clothes in it (not more than 4 pounds, and deff smaller than the pica). Did you use any plastic stiffeners like Jerry? I did, and am wondering if that was a mistake. Thanks for the pics!

mtbr member
    Fotooutdoors I would add the extra straps like I did. Mine went all over the place too, until I wrapped the top buckle strap around the seat rails and velcroed back onto itself at its base on the lower flap ( and then added the extra strap to tuck the bag hard into the rails). You might get by with just the second strap but I was getting side to side play until I did the first mod correctly-if you look I pull the strap around the front right seat rail, over to the left and around that, and then back to itself and velcro. The bag juts out to the right side (viewing from rear of bike), you then pull it back left to secure velcro. Real tight if you do it right and snug it at each step of the process.

With a little practice I can get the top buckle strap off the seat rail, unbuckle the cam and be in the dry bag fast with the dry bag still snug to the seat rails with the second strap. Total access to the back half of the dry bag.

edit- I did use plastic stiffeners. I just dont think Jerrys original strap design is enough to hold the bag tight. Once a little play develops the sway is pronounced.

I work in .001 tolerances
    Lookin' good buddy!
    They'll only get better from here on out :thumbup:

mtbr member
    Hey fotooutdoors here is another view of the bag with a bigger load. I used a black strap instead of the grey in previous pix to be the floating strap that tucks the bag into the rails. You can see my extra length of top cam buckle strap better as well. With the bigger load I just wrap it around the back seat rails simple style and back onto itself. The setup is bomber!! I can even go bigger than this with no movement at all.

Good luck with your bag. I am sure you will tighten it up. My way is probably just an example.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-bikebag3-001.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-bikebag3-002.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-bikebag3-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    I like the seat bag that is going to be my next project
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    I like the seat bag that is going to be my next project
    Same, that and a handlebar mount for a dry bag of similar design. The handlebar mount might come first simply because it's easier to do though :P

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Some cool diy stuff in here...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Took a shot at making some credit card touring bags for the road rig. Kind of a pain, but kind of fun too. Now onto the MTB frame bag, gas tank, and seatbag.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast