Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Explore More

For bikepacking...and might just replace the Camelbak too!

Did up a few new bags over the last couple weeks. Went up to UT for a few days, and even though I passed on doing a BP trek, I tested out the new bags through a couple trail riding days. Yeah, the bags will work well in a bikepacking setup, but, after finishing the testing, I think I'm changing my setup even for extended trail rides. Riding like this, the back felt wonderful after 4 hours of slickrock and rocky trail riding.

All three packs (gas tank, jerry bag and frame bag) are just made of simple packcloth, sport zippers and 1.25" overlapped and outside stitched velcro.

Not worried about the fact that they are not waterproof: They can essentially be made so at any time and no problem to seal things in ziplocs. A brief, passing shower is one thing, but for a multitude of reasons, I'll just pass on doing a trek if there is likely to be wet weather setting in.

Gas tank: 2x3x8 for 48 cubic inch volume. Carried a bandana, snacks, keys, camera and a headlamp.

Jerry bag: 2.5x3.5x6.5 tapering to 8 for 64 cubic inch volume. Carried a spare tube, my trail tools and more snacks. A 4oz Isopro canister will easily fit in there with a tube and the tools.

Frame bag: 15.5x6x19 triangle by 3 wide for ~300 cubic inch volume. Carried my Camelbak bladder, tire pump and shock pump. Just left the front open for a tube port, which works great. Tied a couple zip-ties to the frame and used another on the bladder tube to attach a visitor pass clip thing to make a tube holder. The tube length was fine and can be extended more by not routing all the way around the head tube.

For an all-day, dawn to dusk riding option, I'd like to make another pack to fit down the back side of the seatpost and be a vertical seatbag. Something about the size of the jerry bag (2.5x3.5x8). With that, it would allow the carrying of a water filter, additional food and drink powders, at least. I can still make room in the frame pack to add in a long sleeve jersey or light windbreaker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dscn3130.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dscn3132.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dscn3134.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dscn3135.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dscn3136.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dscn3137.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DesertDog; 09-30-2013 at 12:41 AM.

mtbr member
    I have been testing some newer models lately. New Front harness and gas tank. About to make all new bags as well- will post again when I am done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear

My attempt.

The frame pack has built in Velcro specifically to hold my hennessey rain fly. The front bag is a super simple roll top dryish bag that I secured with para cord and Canadian jam knots. The gas tank was an afterthought. I put Velcro on top of the Velcro that attached the frame pack. So the gas tank does not work solo.

Sent from my hammock
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

I work in .001 tolerances

Re: Make Your Own Bikepacking gear

^ Nice Paul!

They'll only get better from here on out :thumbup:

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    good work, paul, AND you made me go look up "canadian jam knot". good stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    While not quite "bikepacking" per se, I modified these bags to fit the current rack I have; yes I know the rack seems way too close to the seat post area, and the location of the bags seems way too close to the brake arms...I am aware of that, and so far they work OK.. the bags have reinforcing panels, some sort of thin plastic, and had ribbon ties...I paid $4 each for them from a thrift store...and sewed on straps and snaps, similar type to what I use for MOLLE gear, they are marked "ARTISTRY" and I looked up the name; seems they were for make-up kits.....but hey, they're right size/shape, and have reinforced backs and fronts, so they made for good cheap panniers....and they can hold 2x 1 gallon bottles of water...more weight than I would realistically put in, but the space's there.... now the next thing to do is make a frame bag, or a handlebar bag... or put snaps on the corners of the flaps to secure them.

CamoDeafie's Tactical gear and bike-packing blog-
    http://sbtactical.wordpress.com/

!snotrocket!

stove pipe seat bag and sling

First of all my hat is off to all the fine work here on this thread
    Here is my take on the seat pack and bar sling. I wanted to make something that would sit a bit lower on the seat post without extending out beyond the seat too far.
    Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-bag2.jpg
    The bag holds the equivalent to a 20 liter stuff sack.Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-bag3.jpg
    I used a pice of silver rip stop for the upper top of the bag and 500 d cordura for the rest of the bag.
    Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-bag4.jpg
    the bar sling is super basic, two bar loops with a daisy chain for the stem and 3 buckles to keep it all tight.
    Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-sling1.jpg
    I took it out for a "shake down" ride this am and I'm happy with the results. What seems good and tight at the house can be a different story on the trail.
    Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-bag1.jpg
    All in all super it was a fun project and I'd say the hardest part of it all is coming up with a plan.
    coastin' along

mtbr member

New Seatbag!

Well I am in the process of making new bags for 2014. Up first is my new seatbag. The new one loses .5oz and is right at 5oz. Went with heavier side material, lighter lower panel but 2 layers, no stiffener and removed the front velcro strap that went around seatpost collar.

It works better without the stiffener and front strap. It is a little smaller in volume than the 2013 model but that is what I wanted. More tapered to allow full post drop. No attachment to post- rails only. No butting up to post and rubbing anymore either.

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-feb-2014-059.jpgMake Your Own Bikepacking gear-feb-2014-057.jpgMake Your Own Bikepacking gear-feb-2014-056.jpg

Dinner for wolves
    Great bike, Rottendan.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member

2014 full kit

I made a new gas tank and framebag to finish this years kit. Going with the same front assembly I made in September- it works well and I dont need to make another one yet. Thanks to 12wheels for selling me an amazing sewing machine for a steal deal- a powerful machine makes all the difference.

Going no backpack in the AZT750. I am going to have to be clever in my water carry. Got an invention I am working on for that. Will post pix when I am done.Name:  feb2013pix 043.JPG
Views: 2798
Size:  73.3 KBName:  feb2013pix 042.JPG
Views: 2794
Size:  65.5 KBName:  feb2013pix 046.JPG
Views: 2800
Size:  68.6 KBName:  feb2013pix 040.JPG
Views: 2801
Size:  75.9 KB

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    nice work. looking forward to seeing how you will carry your water.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

first frame bag. specialized camber

first post to mtbr- planning on making my first frame bag for my new Specialized Camber. I have read and watched some videos, but am still a little unsure as I haven't used a sewing machine before. Here is a cardboard mock up of the bag and a list of materials I made for Rockywoods (was planning on making a second bag for my wife if this works out.) The dimensions of the bag are roughly 15X11X7 for the side panel and a width of 2-2.5 " Does this list look about right?

The red line is for the zipper- 6.5" long, and the tape demarcates the velcro attachments. I might chop off an inch or so on the bottom to keep it away from the front der. and chainrings.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-p1000051.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-screen-shot-2014-03-04-7.07.20-pm.jpg  

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Hi Toothjockey... that's a good start. A couple of thoughts. I would think about moving the bottom attachment either forward or backward to avoid trying to figure out where to mount it around the bottom bracket area. Also, if possible, I find it's better to stick with the same width velcro for simplicity and the look. Having said that, I would think about making the top front piece a bit wider to match the lower and center it on the zipper line. You'll find that when you have zippers in line with the velcro, it helps with opening/closing of the zipper. Speaking of the zipper, depending on which type you bought (hopeully, rolled-separable waterproof) you can run it full length as then the seams will help act as your zipper stops. I usually make a small zipper garage at either end out of spare material as well. When you're cutting, don't forget to add your seam allowance too. Lastly, depending on how deep the bag is, you might want to add side-to-side velcro as a divider/expansion controller. Hopefully, those comments help. The first one is always the toughest.

Explore More

Simple, effective handlebar bag setup

...Or, should I call mine a candy-bar bag setup?

First off, this thread is where I found the concept for what I did. They used PVC and someone else reused some handlebar grips.

But, I've been thinking of a handlebar bag solution, came across that thread and wanted to try it out. Didn't have any 1" PVC pipe laying around to use and didn't want to waste time and gas to go to the hardware store.

So, here is what you need:

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-hb1.jpg

- Dry bag or stuff sack with or without daisy-chain webbing.

- 1 set of 1" wide lashing straps (no reason you can't use 3/4" webbing, just need to find a rigid tubing that is also 3/4" wide).

- Tube from m&ms minis candy (or some spare pieces of 1" PVC pipe, some old handlebar grips, etc...). Just want something of a somewhat rigid tubing that is right at a 1" inside diameter to match the width of the lashing straps.

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-hb2.jpg

Cut the ends off of the candy tube and then cut the tube in half. This gives two 2 1/2" sections.

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-hb3.jpg

Run the open end of the webbing thru the tube, over the handlebars and back thru the tube.

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-hb4.jpg

If you're not using a daisy-chained bag, you can close off the loop for the webbing strap, otherwise, run the straps thru the daisy-chain and then complete the loop.

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-hb5.jpg

Cinch everything down tight and either discard the extra length of strap webbing that is left or tie it off behind the fork and head tube to give extra assurance of no movement of the bag and mounts.

Such a simple solution that I can't believe it took someone this long to figure out.

Introducing the HalfPipe top tube bag. This idea had been bouncing around in my head for awhile now.

Was is worth it? Would standover be suitable?

So far the answer is a big Yes. I've gotten a lot of positive response to this design.
    Nowadays with the ever popular dropped top tubes, there is a lot of real estate for people to use.

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dsc05518.jpg

Nice name, interesting bag. For some people, that'd definitely be a great bag. I've had a couple of people ask about something similar but thus far, the standover height of their bikes has been too high for it to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    but thus far, the standover height of their bikes has been too high for it to make sense.
    For sure the biggest limiting factor. At 6'2" and ~34 inseam it works for me. Also the nature of the Fargo and bikepacking in general
    lends itself to a mellower riding style that a rapid dismount isn't usually required.

I kept the side stiffeners out of the middle on both sides to allow some compression if needed.

mtbr member
    Made my first harness for a guy to hold his sleeping padMake Your Own Bikepacking gear-harness.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just borrowed a sewing machine from a friend. I'm still getting the hang of it, but it is fun so far. I sewed up all the Velcro strips onto the long strip of fabric. Next step is to sew on the zipper to one of the side panels, and then sew the two panels onto the long strip. I'm hoping to have another friend that is handier with a sewing machine help me with those steps. Here are a couple of pics- I am pretty sure I screwed up and sewed all the velcro to the wrong side of the fabric, but I don't think it will make that much of a difference. It also looks like sewing it all together with the velcro on will be a pain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-p1000061.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-p1000060.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-p1000059.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    After having to start over and making many mistakes, I finally finished my first frame bag. I learned the hard way to avoid curves and use as few velcro straps as possible in order to simplify sewing (at least for my rudimentary skills). The bag is small because of the limiting frame design, but even if it doesn't pack much, it was fun to make.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-screen-shot-2014-04-12-4.20.49-pm.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-screen-shot-2014-04-12-4.20.35-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Finished this one today- I will probably try to glue in a piece of thin flexible plastic cutting mat that touches the stem. maybe add some to the frame bag if i can figure out a way that will hold the plastic well. Next gastank bag will probably have a sleeve(s) for some plastic reinforcement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-screen-shot-2014-04-14-1.54.22-pm.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-screen-shot-2014-04-14-1.54.35-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Has anyone tried adding in support to bags after they are finished? I was thinking about supergluing some thin plastic panels to the inside of the fabric, maybe cover it over with some gorilla tape

Quote Originally Posted by toothjockey View Post
    Has anyone tried adding in support to bags after they are finished? I was thinking about supergluing some thin plastic panels to the inside of the fabric, maybe cover it over with some gorilla tape
    To tell you the truth... it might be easier to back up a bit, deconstruct and add it. Something to try might be to add vertical strips of fabric (folded over) on either end of the side panels to allow you to slip in/out the side support at will. I often tell people that one of the hardest parts of making bags is figuring out what needs to be there and in what order to construct things. However, sometimes, the best option is just to make a new one. You have to evaluate whether it'll take you more time and effort to deconstruct to reconstruct or just make new. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yeah, while finishing the top tube bag, i sort of knew I was shooting myself in the foot by not making sleeves. I would very much like to not take this one apart (the next one for my wife's bike will be done correctly from the start). I am thinking of using seam grip to glue the plastic to the nylon now, as it might be flexible enough to keep hold. If it works, I'll post an update

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear

My first attempt at copying an Alpkit Koala seat pack. It could be better bit only a ride will tell. Thursday I am taking a 2 day. I am excited.

Sent from my hammock
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast