Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Woah, nice! Can you post some more infos like dimensions, weight etc. ?
    n+1

mtbr member
    i'll get exact dimensions and weight later. it is not completely done as i need to add intermediate tie outs on the ridges, few other convenience details inside and seam seal the whole thing. it fits 2 people, i am 6'2" an have plenty of room in 1/2 of the space. packs tiny, i like that a lot.

mtbr member
    My new DIY roll top framebag.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Nicely done! I haven't made an attempt at a roll-top frame bag yet... in part because I've yet to understand the perceived benefit. What do you like better about it? FYI - That's not criticism, I'm actually curious... even as a bag maker. I've honestly never had issues with zippers, maybe that's why I'm perplexed.

mtbr member
    ^I did not have zippers in stock so I decided to try the roll top.
    I have not had problems with zippers, but this seemed like a good solution.
    Zipperless Frame Bag Review - BIKEPACKING.com

Quote Originally Posted by cuppis View Post
    ^I did not have zippers in stock so I decided to try the roll top.
    I have not had problems with zippers, but this seemed like a good solution.
    Zipperless Frame Bag Review - BIKEPACKING.com
    What do they say... Necessity is the mother of invention? Again, nicely done. It'd be great if you'd give an update after you've used them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    A bit off topic- I accidentally burned some holes in my patagonia R1 fleece. The holes are around 1 inch in diameter and there are 3 close together, and a fourth one a few inches below. Looking for recommendations for repairing it. I have tenacious tape that I could patch it with, inside and outside or should I find some fleece and so patches? Both?

I'd say, especially since it's a Patagucci jacket... check here Repair Your Gear - Patagonia® Repair & Product Care Guides

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Just did my first bags, a framebag for my Straggler and a small handlebar pouch for snacks, camera etc. Handlebar bag design is based on the one made by Yanco.
    Apart from wishing for a stronger sewing machine it went off surprisingly smooth!

Straggler

Handlebar bag
    n+1

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Hi my home made bikepacking gear

Hi
    Bottle holder from 4inch plastic pipe
    Frame bags with my wife sewing help
    Bottle holder (82 gram) are fit up to 2 liter water bottle or small bag
    2 holder on the front fork +1 under the frame
    Bike are Kona Hei Hei trial DL 2016
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-photo_20160319_171353.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-img-20160315-wa0000.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-photo_20160313_060005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Bottle holder on the front fork

Cut from 4inch pipe + 2 strap
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-img-20160321-wa0002.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Yuval11 View Post
    Hi
    Bottle holder from 4inch plastic pipe
    Frame bags with my wife sewing help
    Bottle holder (82 gram) are fit up to 2 liter water bottle or small bag
    2 holder on the front fork +1 under the frame
    Bike are Kona Hei Hei trial DL 2016
    As a fan of color... I love the material pattern! Is is picnic table fabric or printed Cordura? Also, I'm just curious as to why you have the zipper on the main bag parallel with the downtube? Personally (granted, it's not my bag), I would worry about things falling out when I opened it. If it's for water, then it makes a lot of sense. Interesting top tube/seat tube bag. Those longer ones are becoming more popular. I get more and more requests for those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi
    Fabric are printed Cordura.
    Zippers are for the bottle holder only, nor for the bag.
    Bottle holder are also connect to the frame tube with a lot fo stiky plastic tape.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Fast open\close Adjastable strached strap
    Low coast easy to make
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-photo_20160322_213621.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    *DISCLAIMER* - These are not mine. I found them on the googlez. If the owner doesn't want the pics here I will gladly take them down. I thought they were to cool not to share. Please check out his website. There are a few more pictures and his commentary along with them. Worth the read for sure.

The handlebar bag is made out of a roadkill raccoon and the frame bag is made out of bark tanned deer hide. Awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    Finally done with my mid. The color is little too much but otherwise i am pretty happyAttachment 1015955

Attachment 1015957
    WOW! I LOVE THE COLOR.....and Man! Nice Job!
    Get Healthy! Ride A Bicycle
    www.doesmybuttlookbiginthesaddle.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppis View Post
    My new DIY roll top framebag.

That looks very nice! My problem with it is that I would try to add too much stuff in it...and it would not close! <winks>
    Get Healthy! Ride A Bicycle
    www.doesmybuttlookbiginthesaddle.com

mtbr member
    Just got a Marin Pine Mountain 1. I needed a new bag to fit the new triangle size. It has mounting tabs on the top tube, so I decided to try out a internal frame and ditch the velcro straps. First I fabbed up some 1/16"x1" aluminum flat bar.

Then grandma and I made the bag with sleeves to insert the bars. Mounted up perfectly and I'm loving the look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-imag02174.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-v__8580.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-v__2a12.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-imag02180.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-imag02179.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikepackingdude View Post
    Thank you 1 Speed. I did use some soft shell material for the flat parts that hit the frame and on the bottom of the hook and loop (velcro) and the main body of the pack I used 1000d Cordura.
    Good pack and a cute dog...
    Limeng

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Any chance someone could point be to a source for foam and plastic bag stiffening type materials? All I can come up with is industrial sources for huge quantities.

mtbr member
    Home depot for foam, target, walmart or such for hdpe mats

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Home depot for foam, target, walmart or such for hdpe mats
    Hmm...I walked all over both of those places and the local hardware store and found nothing.

What product at Walmart consists of a hdpe mat? A cutting mat?

All they had at Home depot was rigid insulation foam.

mtbr member
    Its a roll of foam, pink, it is normally used under sill plates in construction. Hdpe can be found in kitchen department in form of rectaangular mats that you would put on dining table

Owens Corning Foam SealR Sill Plate Gasket 5-1/2 in. x 50 ft.-2FS - The Home Depot

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Its a roll of foam, pink, it is normally used under sill plates in construction. Hdpe can be found in kitchen department in form of rectaangular mats that you would put on dining table

Owens Corning Foam SealR Sill Plate Gasket 5-1/2 in. x 50 ft.-2FS - The Home Depot
    Thanks for the link. I don't think it's quite what I'm after. I'm looking for about 3ft x 1ft of closed cell insulation about 1/2" thick and as dense as possible while still coming off a roll and flexible-ish.

I'll have to look again for place mats made of hdpe. Also thought about looking at yoga mats for the foam. The back panel of a hydration pack is about the exact type of foam I'm trying to find, I'm about ready to cut up an old one.

Would prefer to find an actual source for this type of stuff so I can repeat the process without hunting Walmart for supplies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wesMAmyke View Post
    Thanks for the link. I don't think it's quite what I'm after. I'm looking for about 3ft x 1ft of closed cell insulation about 1/2" thick and as dense as possible while still coming off a roll and flexible-ish.
    Would a blue sleeping mat work for you? Their made up of closed cell foam and you could get a 1/2" thick one and cut it to the size you wanted. I don't know if it'll be ridged enough but it could probably work... It'd be better than a yoga mat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by campergf23 View Post
    Would a blue sleeping mat work for you? Their made up of closed cell foam and you could get a 1/2" thick one and cut it to the size you wanted. I don't know if it'll be ridged enough but it could probably work... It'd be better than a yoga mat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had just thought of the camping mat idea after posting about the yoga mat. I'm less concerned with rigidity and more looking for something dense enough as it's actually going to function as padding and not just stiffening material.

I'll have to make another trip to look at things to cut up and reuse. So far have only found one place that sells what might be the type of foam I'm looking for in a reasonable quantity so I don't end up with 100ft of something I can't use.

Will have to look out for things made of hdpe plastic as well, no luck with a source for that either.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234