Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-co-flag-frame-bag1.jpgMake Your Own Bikepacking gear-co-flag-frame-bag2.jpgMake Your Own Bikepacking gear-co-flag-frame-bag3.jpgMake Your Own Bikepacking gear-co-flag-frame-bag4.jpgMake Your Own Bikepacking gear-co-flag-frame-bag5.jpg

Made a CO Flag frame bag for my Intense Spider 275c, fits 3L water, outdoor research helium jacket, phone, keys, some snacks. Also has a built in phone pocket. I used basting tape for this one and it made a HUGE difference on how neat it came out. Tape the seam together, then stitch it. Also did semi-flat felled seams with tape on all the external seams so its pretty much waterproof.

The red and yellow on the C were cut from plastic folders, two layers thick for each color, the rest is xpac vx21. Everything is mounted with shock cord (works way better than velcro straps), and all parts that touch the frame have that grip stuff they use on countertops that you can find at lowes or any hardware store.

Also, had all the attachment points go to the inside with loops, then used shock cord to make an internal net to internally strap down the hydration reservoir or anything else in there. Also, doing semi-flat felled seams on curves is really hard, probably why the commercial frame bag makers don't bother doing it.

If you use shock cord to mount it, you can control how wide the bag gets when it's full based on the tension in the shock cord when you strap it down, works well to keep the sides from hitting your crank arms when you really stuff it.

mtbr member
    cool!

4AM
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Handlebar bag

Well I've been looking at this thread off and on for about the past six months and realized that I still haven't posted up the handlebar bag I made about a year ago. I used 1050 denier coated ballistic nylon for almost all of the bag except for the map pocket (1050 Denier coated INVISTA® Ballistic Nylon Fabric - Black). For the thread I used some of the heaviest duty thread I could find that would work with my sewing machine (10 oz Cones of Strongbond 40 Bonded Nylon Thread). I made a map pocket on the top with some clear plastic and riveted on a decaleur so it could mount to the rack that I have. Here is a picture from after I had everything all layed out and just had to sew the sides on of all the pockets:
    Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-img_1194.jpg
    Here are couple of it finished up and on the bike:
    Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-img_1205.jpg
    Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-img_1204.jpg

The next thing on my list to make is a tool roll type saddle bag. A few different companies make them but they are pretty simple so I might try to make one myself. I will probably use the left over ballistic nylon from this project and the same thread too. Next I would get some 1" or 3/4" inch webbing and a buckle to match that so I could get it all tucked up under the seat super nice.

4AM
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Saddle Bag

I ended up just going to town this morning and made a saddle bag in a couple of hours, then went for a ride with it. I started out by cutting a piece of cardboard to what I thought would be a good idea, then cut the same shape onto some of that 1050 ballistic nylon that I used on the handlebar bag. It ended up turning out pretty nice. It is not as easy to access as I was hoping, but I rushed the whole thing since my old saddlebag broke yesterday and I had no way to carry my tools on my bike. It ended up being 2.1 oz (60 grams), which is not going to slow me down.
    Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-img_20180211_135102758.jpg
    Here are a couple of pictures of it not on the bike. The first picture is it unfolded with all of the things that I put in it rested on top in the same way they go inside. One thing that I tried to do with this saddle bag is to have it fit my phone so I don't have to wear anything with pockets to be able to carry my phone with me.
    Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-img_4733.jpg
    Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-img_4735.jpg
    After I finished it I went out for a ride to test it out. It mounted on the saddle pretty easily. If you noticed in the previous picture there I went to Ace and got a piece of webbing with a cinch buckle on the end. I just thread the webbing into the buckle when I put it on and then I can cinch into place and it is much more stable than saddle bags that use velcro.
    Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-img_4742.jpg
    Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-img_4743.jpg
    When you look at it from far away you can hardly even tell that it is there. Much better than my old saddle bag and it can fit more.
    Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-img_4741.jpg

I will probably be making different variations of this to try to get a very good bag dialed to the max.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.