Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I work in .001 tolerances
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    hmm interesting. I see that you have double stitched the MOLLE webbing; I know there is a product that is rather expensive, but would be excellent for two of these pouches; its Tactical Tailor's MALICE clip; it requires the use of a screwdriver or tool to undo; basically a 1" wide X 3-5" long Zip Tie.
    It's actually quad stitched at the least. I don't want that to ever be a problem.

I had to look up the MALICE clip. Thats a cool idea.
    I'm familiar with the metal version, but I like the idea of the plastic ones. At least it would deter a few people

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    oh wow, quad stitching...heavy duty for sure the metal version really don't do well with bike frames lol since they come undone way too easily; but MOLLE/MALICE systems is a great way to make bags/stuff compatible not just on bicycles but also gear and equipment..I've seen people put MOLLE panels on their vehicles for carrying items like first aid kits, tools, equipment for camping/off roading; and I have to say, it is a cleaner way of doing things with less weight as opposed to making drawers/racks/containers to hold the same things. I am looking forward to more stuff from you! I might make myself a burrito handlebar thing with the webbing I have....got the same design but scaled down from the USGI compression stuff sack.... we'll see!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sweet stuff, I've been creepin this thread for a while. I wish I could sew!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I checked another frame bag off the list. This one is much smaller but every little bit of space helps! More details here on my blog.

mtbr member
    Well I made a second set of bags and went full X-Pac instead of lightweight silnylon or ripstop. I got some really light finished products as the X-pac sits up so well it requires few second layers or third layer stiffeners. Used some Molle webbing attachments and shock cord mounting as I hate mad straps/velcro everywhere. Oh and made the seat bag a zippered version of the drybag style. Throw in some Molle style 1 liter bottle holders and the AZT 750 setup is about there.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    that is a sweet rig!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dream4est View Post
    Well I made a second set of bags and went full X-Pac instead of lightweight silnylon or ripstop.
    Very nice!! I love the bottle holder! Can you post some more photos of your seat bag please? I'd like to make one myself but keep putting it off as I suspect it is a lot of work!

mtbr member
    DIY feedbags. Large enough to hold a 32oz Nalgene bottle. I attach them to handlebars & stem with a long length of paracord, although velcro one-wrap or zip-ties would also work.

The hi-vis interior makes it easy to see what's inside.

Construction steps available here.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Well I made a second set of bags and went full X-Pac instead of lightweight silnylon or ripstop. I got some really light finished products as the X-pac sits up so well it requires few second layers or third layer stiffeners. Used some Molle webbing attachments and shock cord mounting as I hate mad straps/velcro everywhere. Oh and made the seat bag a zippered version of the drybag style. Throw in some Molle style 1 liter bottle holders and the AZT 750 setup is about there.
    Finally a rig that looks like it has enough storage space to bring your gear and your food. Many of the others look like you choose one or the other. Nice work!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    great ideas

Finished my handlebar Pak over the weekend. I've been spending lots of time dialing in the mounting
    hardware and orientation. After many versions, I believe this design to be superior.
    Main 'burrito' style pak with external zippered pocket. The external pocket is internally divided and has the
    mesh on the outside.
    This will be seeing some time on the AZT300 race next month

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dsc02525.jpg

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dsc02530.jpg

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dsc02512.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    This is awesome. I'm horrible at sewing but it'd be worth leveling up my skills to make my own bike packs.

mtbr member
    Made a frame bag for my SS. Thinking about making some more!Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-frame-bag-004.jpg

Well done sir. They are especially nice on a SS

Noticed your hose was quite long and thought I'd offer up one of my solutions Hydration Station_how to manage your hose

Many of us find it quite delightful these days
    Last edited by HomegrownMN; 03-13-2013 at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    I actually extended the camelbak tube to make it long enough to drink from(long torso I guess). It is the perfect length now and I saw somebody using something similar, here is a video of the set-up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICF3cB45naw

I made another one for a buddy. Just curious of what machine you guys are using?

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-med.-surly-karate-monkey-tony.jpg

mtbr member
    I was inspired by you guys to try to make my own bag. I made a pattern, bought some fabric, and sent it off to the mom's house for a little sewing action. (She really should get all the credit) Turned out ok, I think. For under $10, it will surely work for at least one trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-wp_20130406_004.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-wp_20130406_005.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-wp_20130406_007.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-wp_20130415_006.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-wp_20130415_007.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-wp_20130416_006.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-wp_20130416_007.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-wp_20130416_008.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-wp_20130416_009.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013

nice stuff

Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN View Post
    Finished my handlebar Pak over the weekend. I've been spending lots of time dialing in the mounting
    hardware and orientation. After many versions, I believe this design to be superior.
    Main 'burrito' style pak with external zippered pocket. The external pocket is internally divided and has the
    mesh on the outside.
    This will be seeing some time on the AZT300 race next month

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02525.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	780022

Name:	DSC02530.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	780024

Name:	DSC02512.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	780023
    How to make this nice stuff ,can you send me the instruction ?

Developing Skillz

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by dremags View Post
    Made a frame bag for my SS. Thinking about making some more!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame bag 004.jpg 
Views:	642 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	780618
    Really nice looking bike!

Developing Skillz
    Well I made a second set of bags and went full X-Pac...
    Total overkill Personally I'd go much lighter.. less is MORE.

mtbr member
    Name:  leila birthday-bike bags summer 2013 084.JPG
Views: 1451
Size:  71.1 KBName:  leila birthday-bike bags summer 2013 088.JPG
Views: 1422
Size:  70.0 KBName:  leila birthday-bike bags summer 2013 089.JPG
Views: 1496
Size:  78.0 KBMade some new gear. TX-07 X-Pac Summer Rain Pogies!! This time I tried the TX-07 with the white side out, to see how that handles abrasions/elements. The grey side does okay, better than anything in its weight class, but I think the white side may be better for durability.
    I also made some VX-21 waterproof shoe covers in dark grey. No pix yet. Still drying the seam sealant.
    Going to do some more testing in the CTR next week. Still looking to market my designs but need more R+D.

mtbr member
    Handmade shoe covers. I was about to buy some but the prices and quality out there are a joke. These rock compared to what I have owned in the past fit wise. Dont fall off my feet walking around or hikeabike.Name:  bikebagsjuly13 004.JPG
Views: 1411
Size:  65.7 KB

Explore More

Simple Top Tube Bag Build

Did this last night while I was watching the TDF ITT stage. Just simple hand stitching, no machine needed. Relatively easy way to create either a gas tank (front) or jerry can (rear) top tube bag.

Used a 3x4x6 (72cubic inch) cosmetic bag that I saved from being thrown out. Cut off the handle it had on the top lid. The thicker 'rubberized' material and piping trim give it rigidity. Added some sticky-back velcro loop pieces to the inside, just to make sure the case material didn't have issues when stitching it all together.

Tested it out and it works great. Can be attached either horizontally or vertically. Sure it will serve me well for many years, if not decades. Looks wonderfully funky too, so it goes well with all the other homemade, inventive gear I've made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dscn3051.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dscn3052.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dscn3053.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dscn3057.jpg  

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear-dscn3058.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011

Make Your Own Bikepacking gear

Great idea. I love finding things to repurpose like that. I'm trying to find the right small pack to modify and use on my handlebars. The search continues.

mtbr member
    i've just started on this long, but interesting path...

here is a post about where i am up to so far...
    M.Y.O.G | drj0nswanderings

mtbr member
    MYOG S24O under top tube bag and saddle bag...

Learning. | drj0nswanderings

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast