R.I.P. Pugsley.
    That looks really good !
    More pics please.

I work in .001 tolerances
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    That looks really good !
    More pics please.
    Thanks!
    Alright, here's are couple more: Weighed today in this config @ 220 grams, or .49 lbs

Top side

Underside daisy chain

Internal. Red fabric is housing the plastic spine

Side. Approx 14/15 litre capacity after rolling the end a min of 3 times
    Last edited by HomegrownMN; 01-11-2013 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    wow that's actually pretty awesome.... I do sewing on the side for tactical stuff...I definitely will look into making a few bags for my bikepacking rig so that I don't depend on my USGI stuff

mtbr member
    Very cool dude that is what I need for sure! Your stuff is so cool I am alway in awe
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    I am about to start work on 2nd versions of my bags. I made my front drybag system work with cables run above the drybag without a traditional harness. Previously I was running cables around the bag. The system works both ways now. No foam bumpers or spacers just a small velcro strap for the cables. Cables dont bunch or bind. Now on to a second version with a higher quality materials (VX21).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice. I just started to pursue a handlebar 'burrito' style bag myself

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I started a new thread here but was asked to copy it on this thread. So, here it is.

Hi all,

I made my own frame bag over the holidays and wanted to share my results. Thank you to those that previously posted about how they built theirs - hopefully someone finds my info helpful as well.

The full write up is here on my blog (Bike Frame Bag Construction).

This was a learning experience that I really enjoyed - particularly since I was doing the work inside the toasty warm house while the outside temps were less than toasty!

I used Cordura 1000D and I think it was a good pick. I'm no expert and time will tell but it "feels" pretty good in terms of weight and strength.

Now I'm onto a couple more accessories for a season of bikepacking!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN View Post
    Here is my take on the SeatPak
    This is VERY NICE HomeGrownMN! I think one of these is next on my list. Kinda scarey as it looks to be many orders of magnitude more complex than a frame bag. Thanks for sharing your photos!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    1000D cordura is more than good enough! I use it myself for ammo pouches, and it is sturdier than the older LBE pack material that is looking good!

the only worry is the strength of stitching and thread; I hope you used a #18 needle and a thread rated "Heavy Duty" ? (or at least 69 pounds tensile strength) for stitch strength with 1000D; somewhere between 2 mm and 3mm straight line stitch length should be strong enough. (similar to USGI spec for pack stitching) and double stitching as well....as for zig zags, I can't remember offhand the specs needed for the maximum strength...

Quote Originally Posted by JDNM View Post
    This is VERY NICE HomeGrownMN! I think one of these is next on my list. Kinda scarey as it looks to be many orders of magnitude more complex than a frame bag. Thanks for sharing your photos!
    Thanks.
    It is as complex as a frame bag and possibly more. Don't worry, you're seeing the 5th version Lots of prototyping here

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Can a saddle bag handle, pair of size 12 shoes and a helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    Can a saddle bag handle, pair of size 12 shoes and a helmet?
    Shoes inside for sure. I've done it commuting with my work/riding shoes.
    Helmet, not inside. But can easily be strapped on top/off the back and made to work

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Bracket I made to hold my pump water filter. It could also be used for a cook kit(cup/stove/propane) or an oversized water bottle.

Uses bottle cage mounts to bolt to the frame Its way overbuilt with aluminum 3/16"x3/4" spine and 1/8" bands, foam to cushion the contents and velcro straps attached by speedy rivets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    the only worry is the strength of stitching and thread; I hope you used a #18 needle and a thread rated "Heavy Duty" ? (or at least 69 pounds tensile strength) for stitch strength with 1000D; somewhere between 2 mm and 3mm straight line stitch length should be strong enough.
    Wow! That is more like chord! I used T70 thread from RockyWoods.com which, according to their website, is rated at 11 lbs tensile strength. I think I could run a bit heavier thread thru my machine but not THAT heavy!! :-) Sounds like I probably used a heavier than necessary fabric.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Finishing up some gear for my wife and I for our TNGA trip next month.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JDNM View Post
    Wow! That is more like chord! I used T70 thread from RockyWoods.com which, according to their website, is rated at 11 lbs tensile strength. I think I could run a bit heavier thread thru my machine but not THAT heavy!! :-) Sounds like I probably used a heavier than necessary fabric.

excuse me. my honest mistake, I kept thinking Size 69 (or govt size E) is 69# (probably has to do with fishing line being rated as weight....)

I just looked up Nylon 69 specs and indeed it is rated at 11 pounds tensile; so basically your thread is correct for the material!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    excuse me. my honest mistake, I kept thinking Size 69 (or govt size E) is 69# (probably has to do with fishing line being rated as weight....)

I just looked up Nylon 69 specs and indeed it is rated at 11 pounds tensile; so basically your thread is correct for the material!
    No worries. Good to hear that I was using the right thread - even the losers get lucky sometimes! :-)

Something different...

This is not the place to discuss gun control/laws/feelings/opinions. I don't even own a sidearm fwiw. Ok.

This is a piece for an L.E.O that likes to carry his sidearm whilst biking/commuting.
    A little departure from the norm, but I know there are plenty here and elsewhere that
    either have the permits to carry or are required to carry in the backcountry. (aka Alaska)
    The hard part is making this somewhat 'universal' since I don't have the bike here. After some contemplation I decided the MOLLE system would be perfect and adaptable. It's padded with ~.25" of closed cell foam and has a water-resistant, but easy to open zipper.
    Here you are:

MOLLE

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    that is a nice idea indeed; but my concern now is the velcro concept....what I would go for would be the LEO duty belt keepers; they include a line 24 snap button that will hold the weight better than just velcro; and this will help if the velcro should fail... otherwise, your pouch looks pretty good!
    where it is legal to open carry, people do so, even on bicycles; I have seen more than a few examples of sidearms on bicycles; mostly on the belt of the person riding, sometimes attached to the handlebars; and then there is the rifle rigs I've seen on hunters who uses MTBs for hunting rather than hiking....most commonly I see them with the ATV handlebar rack holding a rifle across the handlebar; they usually are paired with a small trailer to carry the meat out, as well as panniers to balance out the handling from what I've seen... I personally think an older style of scabbard parallel to the fork would be a better system as it brings weight down closer to center of gravity; but it might not be workable for those who have suspension forks. gun laws/control discussion is not to be brought up here I agree.

I'm your density
    Looks perfectly suitable for stashing stuff other than a handgun. A pair of them would have more capacity than a fuel tank, I think. No interference with pedaling?
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

that is a nice idea indeed; but my concern now is the velcro concept....what I would go for would be the LEO duty belt keepers; they include a line 24 snap button that will hold the weight better than just velcro
    To be honest. I think the MOLLE stitching would fail before the velcro came undone. As long as you get a good wrap around, it's amazingly strong.

Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    Looks perfectly suitable for stashing other stuff other than a handgun. A pair of them would have more capacity than a fuel tank, I think. No interference with pedaling?
    You are correct on uses other than a sidearm. This one was specifically for that purpose though. Not sure on capacity, but it'd be close.
    No interference whilst pedaling around the neighborhood. I could see potential issues if one were standing and hammering on a climb, but I'm guessing the user isn't standing and climbing much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    hmm interesting. I see that you have double stitched the MOLLE webbing; I know there is a product that is rather expensive, but would be excellent for two of these pouches; its Tactical Tailor's MALICE clip; it requires the use of a screwdriver or tool to undo; basically a 1" wide X 3-5" long Zip Tie.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast