mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Are lumbar packs good for bikepacking?

I don't have any bags or racks for my bikes and my backpack recently broke, so I have been looking for a good way to carry my ipad and a windbreaker on my commute.

I wanted something that would be able to move from bike to bike easily as well, so I decided on the Jandd Mountain Wedge 3.

There is a coupon code to get another item of equal or lesser value, so I was looking at the
    Osher lumbar pack. I would like to start bikepacking soon. I know the Mountain Wedge will serve me well, but is a lumbar pack a good choice? I could go with the Jandd frame bag instead, but they seem kind of small.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    I like to estimate the volume of the gear I will be taking on a trip, by putting them in stuff sacks and measuring them to get the total CI or L's
    Then look for packs and or bags that size with a little extra.

On lumbar packs, I have a Mountain Smith and really like it.
    Freeing your shoulders and lowers CG a bit.

hth
    Last edited by SingleTrackLovr; 12-07-2012 at 11:04 AM.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    Sure they are, depending on how much you intend to take with you of course. I like STLovr and several others, have a Mountainsmith Lumbar Pack, the "Tour" if memory serves. The "Day" would be my choice of packs if I were to buy another however, gives you a bit more room when needed.

There are a few other options out there for lumbar packs but budgets will decide whether they are right for you.