mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Longest (time) ride....

Hi everyone,
    For those of you that have been touring by bicycle, I would like to know what is the longest you have been on a ride. Gone for a month, six months...longer? I know that some people have ridden long distances, on major expeditions, and it does not not mean in just miles, but rather the time spent on the road.

I would like to know how you managed it, in terms of gear, food...you name it.

Thanks

OSRL

mtbr member
    You should check out some blogs, generally the racers have lots of info as they are trying to get word out about sponsors etc so almost HAVE to blog. I know that's not exactly what you're looking for but you'd be amazed at what kind of info they give freely.

Specifically look for Mike Hall's (UK long distance racer). He set a record for self-supported round-the-world race last year, something like 91 days. Around . The. World. Also took a day off the record for Tour Divide but had to take detours so not an official record. Right now he's leading the Trans America race. He carries an amazingly small amount of gear, and talks a lot about how he streamlines stops and makes putting up and tearing down "camp" easier (keeps his bag/pad inside his bivy and rolls the whole thing up as one unit etc).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks...will do.
    My plan is to build up a bike and when I retire I am going to head out, staying on the road permanently. (as long as I can anyway) I cannot think of a greater way to retire, as I am not the type of person that will sit around all day. I plan, at some point is to ride down to South America. But we will see. I have a few years, so I am building up the gear and bike. I was beginning to think no one on this forum does cross-countries. I was hoping to find the bike campers, but so far none have responded.

OSRL

mtbr member
    Check out this guy, absolutely hilarious (warning there's some strong language from time to time on the blog if that bugs you) but has been doing what you're describing for a long time. I'd specifically scroll way down to read about his South American touring.

Bill Bryson is a ***** | Full Time BadAss

Also, you may find some good stuff over at bikepacking.net forums although a large number of those folks also post here now too.

And of course, you can't NOT delve DEEP into https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/
    There you can everything from overnight trips to folks touring around the world with small children for years at a time and everything in between. I always get lost in there click click clicking...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    this girl is going 2 years 9 months now,
    Cycling Around the World
    https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/..._id=9722&v=3vE

I enjoyed this reading this one
    https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...c_id=7186&v=vZ

another good one
    Riding the Spine

I have 2 bikes, the bike for south of the border is a mid 90s mt bike. Because 26 inch tires, and canti brakes are available in most every village. I like old school friction shifters, because they work with 7, 8, 9, 10, speed, what ever you can get, where you happen to be.

Think about how you will replace parts in mountain villages along the way!