mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Lift-Served MTB trails...camping

Hi everyone,
    I have been planning on taking the Pugsley camping and next summer I will finally get it done. I have built the bike for this and now I am looking at destinations. Yeah...I will ride the horizontal trails too (Minnesota) but have been thinking of doing one adventure ride a summer. I am not in good enough shape to do extensive climbs anymore, but would love to get up in the mountains for a bike-packing trip. Therefore, I was thinking of doing one of the lift-served areas, where I take the bike up a lift and then ride down. I could no doubt find some easier trails and then camp out as I descend. I lived in Colorado for five years and although I was not riding MTB,s then, I did go up to Vail one summer and ride the lift to the top for a nature walk. It was awesome!

I know many of these places use racks on the back of the lift to carry a bike. But are there any that allow you to ride in the enclosed lifts? I only ask this because my bike would be loaded with panniers and other gear and would be rather heavy to hang off a chair. I don't think I would want to do that even if I could. Also, are there any places that have motorized shuttles that would take you to the top?

Even though I am over sixty I still want to ride and I love camping. Backpacking is out now, (can't carry the packs) but since I have all the gear I can still do it by bike. I do not own a car and have ridden my bike year-round for two years here in ND, so I do stay in shape. Just not like when I was twenty. Although two years ago I did a 600 mile cross country ride on a road bike, camping along the way.

So do any of you have ideas or destinations? I would be setting this up for next summer of course.

Thanks a bunch,

OSRL

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Howdy. Not sure how far you want to travel, but Lake Tahoe(Ca) has a few shuttles that will take you up to where you want to go. Southshore bikeshop doesn't advertise, but they shuttle.

Northstar bikepark(at Tahoe) has a gondola they will let you take your bike in if you ask. I'm not sure about overnighting.

I'm more familiar with Mammoth Mountain. The town of mammoth has a FREE PUBLIC bike shuttle that will bring you to the top of a couple different rides.
    The "bike park" at Mammoth Mountain has a gondola you can take bike in. There are a few routes that go down the backside that would be great for stealth camping.

Good luck in your ventures!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks tomikazi

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I live near Vail, CO. I know you can go up on the gondola with your bike in the summer and from the top of the mountain there is access to lots of trails and back country. I don't know that Vail Mountain would let you camp on their "property" (you could ask) but it is surrounded by National Forest (as are most ski mountains in the West) so camping would be available big time nearby.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'd say spend the winter getting in shape so you don't have to worry about any of that. Or just hike-a-bike it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    I'd say spend the winter getting in shape so you don't have to worry about any of that. Or just hike-a-bike it...
    Good point...the ride up a ski slope is a pretty good climb but if you bikepack in the Rockies you will be climbing anyway. There might be better places to bikepack than ski slopes, anyway. I know Vail requires a lift ticket for taking your bike up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am in fairly decent shape, but no matter how much time I spend in the gym it would not be enough. I am not a twenty year old kid anymore, but even though I would be getting a lift up, I would still have a considerable workout. Going down the mountain does not mean I would not have a workout as no downhill run is all downhill.

mtn_cyclist...thanks. Yeah I guess there would be plenty of NF property surrounding the resort.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I guess I don't see the point of camping on a ski hill. As long as you're having fun!

mtbr member
    If I was doing what you are wanting to do, I would go to the Monarch Crest Trail and do a Monarch Crest shuttle, but instead of the classic route do a shorter more dh-ish version like Crest to Greens Creek or Crest to Fooses or Crest to Agate Creek.
    Monarch Crest to Greens is one of the finest rides in America. An amazing 8 mile downhill finish, with a open front cabin perched on the divide at mile 1 of the dh. Stay there after a nice 5 mile ride on the crest from Monarch Pass to warm you up to Fooses Creek turn off and then a nice 1 mile downhill on the divide. Then have fun the next morning riding 7 miles of Greens- perfect trail.
    Monarch Crest to Greens is about a total loop of 13 miles , then you ride about 4 on pavement to get back to your car in Poncha Springs.
    Shuttle company is in Poncha Springs at the base of mtns.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks dream4ests !!