Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

Ladies 700c/29 disc Tourer Cheap

My girlfriend doesn't much care for riding among the trees, but she does enjoy gravel road riding. Therefore, I'm considering selling her MTB to fund a tourer for her.

Meanwhile, my 29er hard tail is at the ends of its life. It could donate nearly everything, although she would not fit the frame, which is fine because it doesn't have rack mounts.

Any suggestions for a 700c, disc, touring bike that will fit a 5'6" women, and easy to find on the used market.

Or

An MTB that has rack mounts and could fit a drop bar?
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Salsa Fargo, Surly Ogre both come to mind as more MTB-type bikes that can be used for touring; Surly LHT comes with discs and Novara Safari can have discs replace the stock rim brakes.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    The Safari is actually a really good deal, PM me if you wanna know how to make it better, but it has a long TT because of the bars. Which is fine if your gonna stick with em, but if not your proably looking at a small which has 26" wheels.

Otherwise jb has it spot on with the Surly and Salsa stuff, also Soma and Voodoo stuff is worth a look too.

Just looking for a frame/fork combo, no complete bikes.

Would prefer to go 29" wheels.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: Ladies 700c/29 disc Tourer Cheap

Fargo sounds about right, but I'm not sure how much you're going to be able to salvage from the MTB if you're trying to go drop-bar. (You'll need new STIs & new brakes; you can maybe keep the derailleurs, but you said the MTB was getting end of life--are those parts and the gears still in good shape? Are the cranks the right size?) Bottom line, make sure you run the numbers to see if salvaging parts actually makes sense versus buying the complete bike. (Unless you're just having fun, in which case, never mind.)

I'd start it with a flat bar, all neccesary components are in good shape, I use thumb shifters, so that'd be fine, and cranks would work as it'd be a lady riding it so she doesn't need huge cranks.

Although none of it will happen if I can't sell her Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Might get blasted for suggesting it but look at some of the bikes direct frame sets. My wife has put many miles all over on a Motobecane 29er. We got it since it was one of the only XS 29ers we could find. She's 5'2. It's been great on and off road though. For a longer road/gravel trip I'd put a rigid steel fork on it and it would be just fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Not sure of your definition of "Cheap'. 29er disk braked for touring/commuting/MTB with mounts everywhere that you could add a drop bar too? Surly ahem, I mean surely your referring to a Surly Ogre. I think it was a certain Scottish Highlander who said "There can be only one".

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: Ladies 700c/29 disc Tourer Cheap

I think you need to decide whether you really want flats or drops. You can switch, but the resulting geometry is rarely ideal. (Especially in the top tube.) If you want flats, the ogre is a decent choice, and you actually have a lot more options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My wife rides a 16" fargo 3 which she loves. We run it with 2 sets of tires depending on if we're road touring or mtb-ing and we have a salsa rack w/ ortlieb panniers. It's a solid bike, makes me a little jealous at times.