Slothful dirt hippie

Kidpacking question: outgrowing the TAB, where do we go from here?

Just came back from an overnighter w/ the kid. We had a great time!

BUT.... Barging the BOB trailer full of an entire family's worth of stuff 2,000' up into the mountains is seeming pretty darn easy compared to hauling the kid these days.

Unfortunately trips like this are WAY beyond her ability on her own bike at this point- unless we were willing to endure an entire day of crying and meltdowns, and even then I'm not sure we'd arrive at our destination- so we're entering a crux here.

We've got the original single speed folder TABs. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to a larger wheeled/multi speed model, or if we should just put up with it for now with the knowledge that she'll start to be able to get her own bad self to the end of the line soon.

She's 8, will be 9 in September, and very skinny/small/shrimpy.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    A tandem?

CDK
    mtbr member
    Ive got a weehoo igo for my daughter that we use all the time but I also plan to use for trips. You can get a little cargo basket for them too now. I believe the child weight limit is 80lbs (don't quote me on that) It would work good though.
    *edit. I didn't fully understand but now get it. She will prob be too big for the weehoo. although I have seen some good sized kinds in them if she is used to the tab she prob wouldn't like it

mtbr member

Re: Kidpacking question: outgrowing the TAB, where do we go from here?

I would look around for a much smaller chainring. Free sign 16" or at goodwill for a donner bike to replace the pie plate that is typical on the tab. You wont have any help making speed on the flats but she could help with the climbs.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using Tapatalk 2

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by faceplant72 View Post
    I would look around for a much smaller chainring. Free sign 16" or at goodwill for a donner bike to replace the pie plate that is typical on the tab. You wont have any help making speed on the flats but she could help with the climbs.
    Great minds think alike! I was actually thinking about gearing as I was watching her barely turning the cranks while dad was busting his guts in granny gear. Larger rear cog/smaller front... either direction would work. And if she spins out over 10mph, let's face it: we don't need any more input at that point, lol.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."