mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Kansas Gravel bikepacking Poute -CSF&O 550 - The Kansas Cannonball

567 miles. 26,000+ feet of climbing. Gravel for days. It's called the CSF&O, for Chisholm, Santa Fe, and Oregon, because you'll travel on or cross all three of these historic trails along the route. Here's my blog post I did about it: If You Build It, They Will Come. dingo41

and this is what it looks like:

This is cross-posted from the bikepacking forum. I'll have the GPX posted on my blog hopefully tomorrow, or you can message me on here, and I'll email it to you. I also have a list of towns and services near and on the route. I hope to have a cue sheet completed within a week or two. Hope you enjoy it!

Update: Here's the MapMyRide link: CSF&O 550 in Emporia, KS | cycling Map | MapMyRide
    Last edited by hikernks; 01-20-2013 at 03:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Awesome job on the route hiker. People think Kansas is flat, but once they ride in the Flint Hills it changes their mind. I could start this in Wichita, ride north on gravel and be gone for days!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Reasons like this I miss living out west where open land is the norm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Keep us posted, I'm interested in joining you.

CC

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That looks like quite the route. The sad thing is I have lived in KC my whole life, and have never ridden any of the Flint Hills. I guess that is about to change though, cuz I signed up for the DK half pint. I'm a little nervous about it, but at the same time I can't wait.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Matt,

I finished the DK 200 last year, and I signed up for the half pint this year. Maybe will see each other. Ask me anything you like. You're going to have a great time.

CC

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That's awesome CC,the thing is, I don't even know what to ask. I have done a few 8 hr adventure races, but that breaks things up and allows you to work different muscles. This will be a challenge for sure.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Matt,

Get a frame bag, don't carry anything on your back. Learn to eat, drink and recover on the bike. Help anyone that needs/asks for help along the way. Bring a camera, you'll want to take pictures. This is one of the best experiences that you'll ever have with your pants on. Very few "racers" and a bunch of guys and girls just like you.

Train for it, bring extra tubes, be prepared to self support while on the trail. And be ready for any kind of weather. No whining or griping about the course markers or lack of them on the trail. Learn to read a map. No griping or whining about the wind, event organizers, heat, lack of water, lack of water or lack of water, hills, dirt, cars or local farmers on the course while on the course. No bad attitudes allowed, leave the bada$$ attitude at home and learn to enjoy every second. Learn to like cows and BS on your tires. Learn to make water crossings. Learn to enjoy the presence of athletic, tough, smart, females that are much faster than you on the course, while on the course. Learn to allow single speed riders to pass you while on the course. Bring some toilet paper. Learn to stay on the trail, while on the trail or you'll flat. Oh, and you'll probably have flats.

Learn to drink beer (after the finish).

You're going to love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    CC, thank you for the words of wisdom. I am definitely coming into this with an open mind. It won't be the first time I have been passed by a girl, and I'm sure it won't be the last.
    I actually already have a Revelate Design Tangle bag and Gas Tank. My big concern is having enough water.
    I am glad to hear about having a bunch of "normal" people taking part. It seems like in a lot of the pics, there are a bunch of racer types, but I guess the camera guy gets tired of waiting for the rest of us;-)

Oh, I'm definitely good on the beer part.

Matt