mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New question here. Just got a bike, planning on getting some packs for it. Suggestions?

So, I just got a Giant Revel 3, planning on putting at least a Frame bag, and gas tank bag on it, thinking of a seat bag too.
    The main thing I need them for is because I intent on using my bike to ride to work this summer, its only about 4 miles of dirt roads so shouldnt be too bad. But I have to carry some extra stuff I need for work. So thats why I'm gonna get some packs.

Anyone know of any budget bags that I could get until I make mine? Or brands to stay away from?

Might get some cheap ones just to have something at first, but would like to make my own. So does anyone have any suggestions or anything that would help? Probably would make some out of ripstop or something fist, then buy the more expensive X-Pack and make some after I have figured some things out.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Topeak makes a nice, cheap "gastank" bag.

There's a link within the first page or two of this forum talking about Uraltour bags, super cheap, but ship from out of country.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    Topeak makes a nice, cheap "gastank" bag.

There's a link within the first page or two of this forum talking about Uraltour bags, super cheap, but ship from out of country.
    Ok, cool, thanks for helping out, will check that out.
    I found some on amazon, does Ibera make good bags? Thats the best one I've seen that is a decently cheap price so far.

Seriously, is there anyone that makes a full frame bag for under $40? I havent seen one yet. This is getting to be a pain.
    Last edited by The_Devin_G; 03-09-2013 at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    A full frame bag for under 40 is going to be tough if not impossible. Plus it most likely wouldn't fit well if it's not custom made for your Revel. Jandd makes some nice partial frame bags that are reasonably priced and should hold a decent amount:

Frame Pack
    Frame Pack Large

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You could also pick up a cheap rack and some cheap or used panniers for your commute. I find the panniers easier to use when I don't need the compactness of frame bags. Great for grocery runs too.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Or you could make your own. I wanted to figure out if a frame bag was something I'd be interested in & ended up making one before I bought a more expensive one. No regrets doing that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah, I found an Ibera Large Frame pack, should fit, cause the bike they are modeling it on is actually a Revel, same bike I got. $16-17 on Amazon, if it doesnt fit no biggie, will get a Jandd if I dont like it I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    if you;re putting a rack on yours, I would suggest a pair of MOLLE Sustainment Pouches; they're big enough to hold a lot of stuff, I have a pair on mine, they can be had in Desert Camo, Woodland, Coyote Brown (or dark tan), and Army Digital..the only thing is that they don't have stiff back panels, but I made my own by cutting a binder apart and using the main panels, it works. for the front bag, a "Butt Pack", or MOLLE Waist Bag, there are at least 3 versions of Butt Packs; all of which would work on the front bars, some better than others.... but these all would hold a decent amount of stuff, and most of them are cheap enough...except the "Recon Butt Pack", which looks basically like a tiny version of the 80s USGI backpacks; with 3 small pouches on the bottom and a small zippered pouch on the top; for a handlebar bag, I would recommend the normal butt pack, or the MOLLE modular "fanny" pack that straps onto the handlebar, both of which are available in black, khaki, green, 3 or 4 different camos.
    EDIT: photos to show the differences of each;
    Normal buttpack; can be had for $10-25

Modular "go bag" or "fanny pack"; $15-30

Recon type; most expensive; $30-60 depending on company

USGI MOLLE waist pack; $10-25, least versatility; due to it's size and lack of webbing to mount stuff to; only available in camo

as for the Pannier bags; there are pics of mine in the bikepacking gear rigs and layout thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I would try identify what you'll be carrying before you choose your bag type. If you've got some bulky stuff like a change of clothes/shoes, full lunch etc. then a frame bag and gas tank may not cut it volume wise.

If you've only got a couple little things to carry there are all sorts of smaller carry bags, tool bags, mini seat bags, touring bags, etc that you can find almost anywhere to suit your needs.

What do you plan on packing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah, so, I've been looking around and doing some thinking.
    Me and my cousin landscape so in the summer I would drive over to his house, and then we would get the tools and stuff and the trailer and go do what we needed to do.

It's only about 5-6 miles of gravel road. But, there are some hills, there is one that is absolutely monstrous and it might end up being quite a bit of a challenge.
    But, that is all I'm gonna have to bike, I will probably end up packing a pair of shorts and a hat, work safety glasses, a pair of gloves. Not really much else, I can roll the shorts up pretty tight, and if I need to keep them compressed really well I can use a shoestring to tie them up tight.

Other than that I probably wont need to be carrying much, gonna try and get a few basic maintenance tools of course, allen wrenches, air pump, tire patches, - stuff like that, but will probably get a seat pack and stick all of those in it, except the air pump, which straps onto frame.
    Should be able to stick other random things into the gas tank bag, phone, wallet, keys, pocket-knife.
    Oh, I suppose I will have a water-bottle also, but, that will probably go in frame pack.
    Might just customize the Ibera pack a little when I get it and use it for quite a while and maybe use it as a pattern for a home-made pack when I feel like it needs replaced.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    then a simple handlebar bag or gastank bag, frame bag, seat bag will all work just fine for you!