Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Jumbo bottle cages out there besides the "Anything Cage"?

I am looking for a simple bottle cage that will take a standard Nalgene bottle without spending $30 per cage. Seemed simple enough. Checked Blackburn, Topeak, Nashbar, came up empty handed. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Me too. The Topeak XL cage might work, but I haven't test fitted it because I've haven't had one in hand.

There's plenty of pictures of rigs with Nalgenes under the down tube, so there must be something. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.
    1989 Bridgestone mb-3
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefFlatFootNoBeard View Post
    Me too. The Topeak XL cage might work, but I haven't test fitted it because I've haven't had one in hand.

There's plenty of pictures of rigs with Nalgenes under the down tube, so there must be something. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

I use the Topeak XL bottle cage bikepacking. It works great with 1.5L and 2L pop bottles. I don't think it would work with a Nalgene, but I have not tried.

If they don't break I think Salsa is charging a reasonable amount for the Anything cages. I don't like having stuff attached to my fork though.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jeremy makes a knockoff of the Salsa anything cage. I can't speak to the knockoff he makes, but I can say his frame bag he made me was top notch.

Cleaveland Mountaineering: Everything Bags

Woody

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I found this expandable one at Velo Orange. I have sent them a message to see if the 90 mm diameter Nalgene or SS bottles will fit into it. I will let you know. I agree that $30 is not out of line. It would be nice to have a drop-in style just for water bottles though.

VO Retro cage MK II, no tab - Water Bottles & Cages - Accessories

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Very Creative solutions. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woody.1 View Post
    Jeremy makes a knockoff of the Salsa anything cage. I can't speak to the knockoff he makes, but I can say his frame bag he made me was top notch.

Cleaveland Mountaineering: Everything Bags

Woody

mtbr member
    There are a couple of options I am aware of. One is the Topeak Modula XL bidon cage already mentioned. Based on my exprience and similar reports from others this wouldn't be my first choice.

My preferred large bottle cage is the BBB XL Fuel Tank which is a more robust design in my view and experience.

Regards
    Andrew

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Anything cages have been redesigned but I haven't herd any reviews on the new ones. Kinda bummed they took away the slots for the hose clamps though.

Twofish also make an option. Amazon.com: Twofish Quick Cage Vinyl Coated Cage, for 40oz Stainless Bottles: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for those pics and ideas. I heard back from Velo Orange. Those retro style cages look cool, but will not expand to accept a standard 90 mm Nalgene bottle. Thinking I might bend and braze some CrMo tubing myself.

mtbr member
    Not available now, nor does it help you at the moment.....but King Cage has some more "manything" cages in the works. Have no idea what they will retail for but if your on Facebook you might give them a like for updates if interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Another vote for the BBB XL Fueltanks.

Another option worth mentioning is the no longer in production, Blackburn Bomber 1.5L bottle cage, sadly they are no longer made any more. Sturdy with a solid full length aluminium plate back and a number of holes to choose from for mounting.
    I've seen these get good feedback in other forums. I imagine you'd either have to find new old stock or keep your eyes open on ebay.

mtbr member
    Maybe an other option is the Monkii cage
    monkiicage | Free Parable Design ltd.

You can find a review here, looks interesting.
    "I got no work, no social life, just a singlespeed" Isaak, '07

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mosquitos View Post
    Maybe an other option is the Monkii cage
    monkiicage | Free Parable Design ltd.
    Velcro strap ... maybe okay for a bottle you don't want to access whilst riding but if I could see it being a pain trying to get a bottle back in whilst moving along.

Seems to "over-complicate" matters for little benefit.

Andrew

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
    Velcro strap ... maybe okay for a bottle you don't want to access whilst riding but if I could see it being a pain trying to get a bottle back in whilst moving along.

Seems to "over-complicate" matters for little benefit.

Andrew
    Watch the video. The strap and cage actually snap off two small fittings. It's actually pretty clever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I got excited about the BBB cage and Monkii Cage, but sadly (for me) they have not distribution in the US. Are there no good options for we Yanks?!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hey Wahday,
    The BBB XL Fuel Tank is available on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/BBB-bottle-hol.../dp/B002S3JX7I

Quote Originally Posted by wahday View Post
    I got excited about the BBB cage and Monkii Cage, but sadly (for me) they have not distribution in the US. Are there no good options for we Yanks?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyro_t View Post
    Also available on Fleabay, shipping from the UK:

BBB Fueltank XL Bottle Cage | eBay

Probably worth it to buy a couple right away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey thanks for the info you two. I only looked on the manufacturer's website and didn't think to poke around elsewhere.

I live and bikepack in New Mexico so it is essential I carry adequate water with me. Too often where I ride forest service maps will indicate springs or cattle tanks only to find they are dry or decommissioned. I have been mapping water sources where I have been exploring the last two summers but its hard not to want to strike out into new, unknown territory each trip.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wahday View Post
    http://www.jbimporters.com/web/check...t_number=97081

Looks like a clone. I'm gonna order one when they become available again to check the size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Profile cages are I think the cheapest option that will take a Nalgene. I use a voile strap around the middle to make sure it's extra secure for bumpy terrain.

From gypsybytrade:

I do think this may be worth the $$ if I was carrying oversized bottles on a regular basis. Looks real nice.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/9710274...ef=favs_view_1

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I can confirm that the Topeka Modula XL fits a standard Nalgene--quite well in fact. For under-the-down tube use you'll definitely need to add a strap, ideally around the downtube as in Vik's pic to prevent stress cracks from developing on the welds of the cage.

You can even remove the height adjustable cup & strap thingy, which is rendered (even more) useless with the Nalgene.

mtbr member
    Check out bedrock bags-- they do a down tube nalgene bag (called the Honaker hydro pack) that is awesome, although at $49 you may not like it. Great way to add water carrying capacity in a place on the bike that is too often not utilized.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Surly Ogre with 2 BBB XL Fueltanks with 1.5 liter Nalgene bottles:

um... yeah
    Oct 2006
    Santos makes one, though I have no idea how to get one in the US. Their bikes come with the same triple bottle bosses as Salsa and others.

Test: Santos Multifunctionele Flessenhouder | Sint Christophorus

Jumbo bottle cages out there besides the "Anything Cage"?-santos-bidonhouder-04.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Wow, that is serious. It looks like it will take a bottle of Moet Brut!

Quote Originally Posted by that guy again View Post
    Santos makes one, though I have no idea how to get one in the US. Their bikes come with the same triple bottle bosses as Salsa and others.

Test: Santos Multifunctionele Flessenhouder | Sint Christophorus

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	santos-bidonhouder-04.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	880389

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast