Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Candlestick Maker

J.PAKS frame bag

After seeing Scar's reference to the the J.PAKS frame bags, I dropped Joe an email regarding my interest in a custom frame bag for my Salsa Spearfish. Well, 7 days after Joe received my template, a nice frame bag arrived in the mail. The only custom feature I asked for was a way to externally mount my tent/tarp poles. Cost was $75. I'm impressed with the attachment points. Joe really seemed to nail the locations down correctly.

After filling the bag with camping junk (tarp, etc) and mounting my poles to the outside, I took the frame bag out for a rough technical test ride today and it worked just fine. Honestly, after the first 10 minutes, I forgot I even had the bag on the bike.

The only minor concern I have is there is very minimal clearance between the pole pocket and the crank arm. There was zero rubbing during today's ride, but I still may tack down the pocket a bit to increase clearance. I pointed this out to Joe and I'm sure he'll keep it in mind for future builds. He said he erred on the side of making it a bit to big,which makes sense, since it would really suck if the poles didn't fit.

Communication, delivery time, and build quality were all excellent. I'm also happy to support a fellow Coloradoan. Hopefully, I can get out for some nice trips this year and provide some feedback on durability.

Here is the link for Joe's website: J.PAKS_Adventure Cycling Frame Bags

And, here are some pics...

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by bbaker22, on Flickr

baker

I work in .001 tolerances
    Thank you for the kind words Brad!

Not a lot of room inside that frame, but I do believe we made the most of it
    And now my desire for a Spearfish frame is even higher! Sweet bike.

Long live Long rides
    -Joe

Light freak
    I just picked up one of his RukSaks, totally diggin' it

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

Ive got my JPAK!

Sorry no trail pics yet but heres what ive got
    J.PAKS frame bag-dsc04185.jpg

Still may consider ordering a full frame bag- wanted one bottle access
    J.PAKS frame bag-dsc04186.jpg

and it looks like i mounted my rucksack wrong too!! (which he so cleverly surprised me with a matching blue to my el mar!!)
    J.PAKS frame bag-dsc04187.jpg

J.PAKS frame bag-dsc04188.jpg

Joe is a super chill guy and quick response!! also one of the t.i.t.s. night riding crew so hes a good guy!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    It fills the usable space in the frame real well.
    And i really like the idea of strapping the poles to the outside of the bag.
    I wish i had thought of something like that before i ordered my frambag.
    I ride a Surly Pugsley with a 100mm BB, so there is enough space to put things like that on the outside of the bag without it getting in the way of the crankarm's.

Candlestick Maker
    I picked up a SnakPak, too. Looks like a good, functional piece of gear. Check it out in this pic (the bag on top of the top tube).

Loaded up and ready to go by bbaker22, on Flickr

baker
    baker

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Just got my JPAKS

I just received my order of JPAKS. Got 2 frame bags (one w/hydration bladder for my Pug and the other for my Fargo). Joe incorporated a # of features into them for me, including reflective trim on the sides, and internal pockets and mesh. Very quality construction and he takes the time to ensure that velcro straps do not interfere with braze on's, mounts, and guides. -Also got a couple of snakpaks and ruksaks-which also incorporate well. I've taken the Fargo on a few day trips but no overnights yet (new build), but the fit and stitching is also amazing-you can see in the pics. Thus far, all looks well. I am actually in Minnesota, North TC Metro area if you are in the area and want to see them don't hesitate to look me up.

Joe is very accomodating and stands behind what he does. I'll post more after I get some more miles and get some pictures of my Pug, but here is some of the Fargo w/bags.

-And yes, I am losing the fenders to use this for its' intended purpose. I had been using it for some local commuting to the house of barley and hops.

I'll be ordering more bags (seat, etc.) when fundage allows. In the meantime check his blog for some other details!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails J.PAKS frame bag-fargo1.jpg  

J.PAKS frame bag-fargo2.jpg  

J.PAKS frame bag-fargo3.jpg  

Thanks for all the support!
    Last edited by HomegrownMN; 06-16-2012 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member

Salsa fest

My first over night trip last weekend, I rode from waterton canyon to BC with JPaks frame bag.

Nice work Joe - quality pack and a very fair price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails J.PAKS frame bag-phpwllwu3pm.jpg  

J.PAKS frame bag-phpsokdrvpm.jpg  

J.PAKS frame bag-php14dtnlpm.jpg  

Without rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other. Red Foreman - That 70's show.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How do I get in touch with j.paks for a custom bag?
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Oops, found it. Bags look great!
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member

Ruk Sak Question....

Does the RukSak hit your knees if you are standing and pedaling? I ask this because I am interested in getting one for my SS.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 2times View Post
    Does the RukSak hit your knees if you are standing and pedaling?
    I have never had a problem with standing & pedaling with my RukSaks on my bikes.

I have not heard of any problems from others either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN View Post
    I have never had a problem with standing & pedaling with my RukSaks on my bikes.

I have not heard of any problems from others either.
    Thanks for the reply!

Also, is the blue RukSak in the picture above the "standard" RukSak or has it been customized? Looks like there is a pocket on the outside....

My goal with the RukSak is to put a small SnowPeak stove, small fuel bottle, and cup in it, do you think it will be large enough for that? Looks like it will from the pics.

Last question, how does it mount? Will it work with suspension forks?

I know I have a lot of questions, I just want to make sure it will work for my purpose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2times View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

Also, is the blue RukSak in the picture above the "standard" RukSak or has it been customized? Looks like there is a pocket on the outside....

My goal with the RukSak is to put a small SnowPeak stove, small fuel bottle, and cup in it, do you think it will be large enough for that? Looks like it will from the pics.

Last question, how does it mount? Will it work with suspension forks?
    Thanks
    The blue one pictured is 'standard.'
    All RukSaks have an external mesh pocket.

They are ~3.5" in diameter. Just slightly too small for a standard Nalgene bottle. (I can always make one to whatever size you need)

They mount with 2 velcro straps & 1" webbing with a ladderlock.
    One velcro around the stem, one around the handlebars. The webbing goes around the fork crown.
    They work great with or without a suspension fork.
    Also can be mounted on the left or right side without problem.

Thanks!

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Just ordered a couple RukSaks and a SnakCan.
    Now I've got easy access to my bacon and PBRs.
    Will report back with picts.
    Thanks Joe it was nice meeting you today, love your shop.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Joe is awesome! Patient and great communication. Exactly what I wanted. Mine came in earlier this week and toughed out a couple laps of a pretty techy trail. I'm a fan and cannot wait to collect his other small paks.

mtbr member
    I've got a Giant Anthem 29er with the same maestro suspension set up. Seeing as how you have roughly the same setup, did you come across any issues with fit/performance in your rides?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's solid and I use it for local rides instead of my back pack. The bladder compartment is nice!

The only fit issue I came about was my fault. I didn't specify how huge the downtube was on my 2012 trance. The very bottom strap is only connected by about an inch overlap but ive experienced no problems whatsover. Same thing with the headtube. Only connected by about two inch overlap. I've already given Joe a heads up but give him a reminder. I fit a couple of liters of water, multitool, 2 tubes, levers, folding pliers, light and battery, wallet, keys, phone, lube, chain links, mini pump, knee warmers, a couple of other little things. It's so nice to have a free back. I have a 4 day trip coming up. I can stuff my tent in there and use my pack for water clothes and tools. Super pumped! :beer:

mtbr member
    Cool man. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

I'm excited!!

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I picked up a SnakPak, too. Looks like a good, functional piece of gear. Check it out in this pic (the bag on top of the top tube).

Loaded up and ready to go by bbaker22, on Flickr

baker
    Seeing this Spearfish is really making me want to get geared up so I can hit some of the trails around where I live in Montana next summer.
    Baker. what size is your Spearfish? I just pick up a '12 Spearfish 1 in medium and the frame looks about the same size as yours.

Nice looking set-up you have!

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by rlbruski View Post
    Seeing this Spearfish is really making me want to get geared up so I can hit some of the trails around where I live in Montana next summer.
    Baker. what size is your Spearfish? I just pick up a '12 Spearfish 1 in medium and the frame looks about the same size as yours.

Nice looking set-up you have!
    Thanks, it's a medium. It's a great bike...
    baker

Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN View Post
    All RukSaks have an external mesh pocket.

They are ~3.5" in diameter. Just slightly too small for a standard Nalgene bottle.

I stand corrected. The one I tested for Nalgene compatibility was slightly too small, but
    after further review, the RukSaks fit Nalgene's just fine
    All RukSaks will now be Nalgene compatible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Any chance of doing waterproof bags in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightlost View Post
    Any chance of doing waterproof bags in the future?
    What type of waterproof bag would you like to see?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast