Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

J.PAKS frame bag

33K views 105 replies 33 participants last post by  z1r 
#1 · (Edited)
After seeing Scar's reference to the the J.PAKS frame bags, I dropped Joe an email regarding my interest in a custom frame bag for my Salsa Spearfish. Well, 7 days after Joe received my template, a nice frame bag arrived in the mail. The only custom feature I asked for was a way to externally mount my tent/tarp poles. I'm impressed with the attachment points. Joe really seemed to nail the locations down correctly.

After filling the bag with camping junk (tarp, etc) and mounting my poles to the outside, I took the frame bag out for a rough technical test ride today and it worked just fine. Honestly, after the first 10 minutes, I forgot I even had the bag on the bike.

The only minor concern I have is there is very minimal clearance between the pole pocket and the crank arm. There was zero rubbing during today's ride, but I still may tack down the pocket a bit to increase clearance. I pointed this out to Joe and I'm sure he'll keep it in mind for future builds. He said he erred on the side of making it a bit to big,which makes sense, since it would really suck if the poles didn't fit.

Communication, delivery time, and build quality were all excellent. I'm also happy to support a fellow Coloradoan. Hopefully, I can get out for some nice trips this year and provide some feedback on durability.

Here is the link for Joe's website: J.PAKS_Adventure Cycling Frame Bags

And, here are some pics...

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by bbaker22, on Flickr

See less See more
#4 ·
Ive got my JPAK!

Sorry no trail pics yet but heres what ive got
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Still may consider ordering a full frame bag- wanted one bottle access
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

and it looks like i mounted my rucksack wrong too!! :D (which he so cleverly surprised me with a matching blue to my el mar!!)
Bicycle handlebar Blue Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Blue Bicycle frame

Joe is a super chill guy and quick response!! also one of the t.i.t.s. night riding crew so hes a good guy!:thumbsup:

#5 ·
It fills the usable space in the frame real well.
And i really like the idea of strapping the poles to the outside of the bag.
I wish i had thought of something like that before i ordered my frambag.
I ride a Surly Pugsley with a 100mm BB, so there is enough space to put things like that on the outside of the bag without it getting in the way of the crankarm's.

#21 ·
I'm excited!!

Seeing this Spearfish is really making me want to get geared up so I can hit some of the trails around where I live in Montana next summer. :)
Baker. what size is your Spearfish? I just pick up a '12 Spearfish 1 in medium and the frame looks about the same size as yours.

Nice looking set-up you have! :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Just got my JPAKS

I just received my order of JPAKS. Got 2 frame bags (one w/hydration bladder for my Pug and the other for my Fargo). Joe incorporated a # of features into them for me, including reflective trim on the sides, and internal pockets and mesh. Very quality construction and he takes the time to ensure that velcro straps do not interfere with braze on's, mounts, and guides. -Also got a couple of snakpaks and ruksaks-which also incorporate well. I've taken the Fargo on a few day trips but no overnights yet (new build), but the fit and stitching is also amazing-you can see in the pics. Thus far, all looks well. I am actually in Minnesota, North TC Metro area if you are in the area and want to see them don't hesitate to look me up.

Joe is very accomodating and stands behind what he does. I'll post more after I get some more miles and get some pictures of my Pug, but here is some of the Fargo w/bags.

-And yes, I am losing the fenders to use this for its' intended purpose. I had been using it for some local commuting to the house of barley and hops.

I'll be ordering more bags (seat, etc.) when fundage allows. In the meantime check his blog for some other details!

Attachments

#9 ·
Salsa fest

My first over night trip last weekend, I rode from waterton canyon to BC with JPaks frame bag.

Nice work Joe - quality pack and a very fair price.:thumbsup:

Attachments

#19 ·
It's solid and I use it for local rides instead of my back pack. The bladder compartment is nice!

The only fit issue I came about was my fault. I didn't specify how huge the downtube was on my 2012 trance. The very bottom strap is only connected by about an inch overlap but ive experienced no problems whatsover. Same thing with the headtube. Only connected by about two inch overlap. I've already given Joe a heads up but give him a reminder. I fit a couple of liters of water, multitool, 2 tubes, levers, folding pliers, light and battery, wallet, keys, phone, lube, chain links, mini pump, knee warmers, a couple of other little things. It's so nice to have a free back. I have a 4 day trip coming up. I can stuff my tent in there and use my pack for water clothes and tools. Super pumped! :beer:

#32 ·
Hey Joe, how is the progress coming along in the seat bags? Were you able to make a stable enough design? Any extra features on it and what's capacity?

Super stoked to see more pics!

Does it clamp around seatpost and to saddle rails? If that's the case it would be awesome to have on my road bike for my work commutes and swap to my mtb for Bikepacking.

The frame bag I purchased from you was designed for the inner triangle of my trance x but also fits in my road bike. The cutout of the rear shock is even perfect to allow a seat tube bottle cage with bottle. Works perfect!

Thanks again and keep it up!

#33 ·
Hey Joe, how is the progress coming along in the seat bags? Were you able to make a stable enough design? Any extra features on it and what's capacity?

I've got multiple prototypes now and I'm dialing in the design as we speak. Trying to improve on the stability and capacity factors. Not scientifically tested, but I think we're in the 10-11 litre capacity

Does it clamp around seatpost and to saddle rails? If that's the case it would be awesome to have on my road bike for my work commutes and swap to my mtb for Bikepacking.

That is the plan :thumbsup:

The frame bag I purchased from you was designed for the inner triangle of my trance x but also fits in my road bike. The cutout of the rear shock is even perfect to allow a seat tube bottle cage with bottle. Works perfect!

Too cool man!
The hardest part about designing a new 'product' is testing, testing, and testing even more.
I've been super busy the past few weeks, but I am putting time into testing these to make sure they are the best they can be.

Also planning on hitting a price point a bit lower than the current offerings :thumbsup:

#36 ·
Thanks!
Availability will be very, very soon on both items. The SeatPak will be available within the next week or so :thumbsup:
SeatPak will be utilizing a combination of X-Pac VX-21 side panels, 1000D Cordura spine, and 420D ripstop material along with an internal plastic spine to maintain rigidity.
Daisy chain sewn onto the underside and rubberized fabric against sewn onto seatpost velcro are stock.
All Black or Black and Grey
Price and ordering info will be on the blog so stay tuned :thumbsup:

Here's a topside view for now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.