mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Interesting project on Kickstarter

This is actually on topic

I was browsing Kickstarter, and it looks like there is a guy that wants to write a book about the isolation of going at it solo on a bikecamping expedition across the US. Not exactly sure how he plans on doing this in 40 days.. but whatever. Here is the link to the project:

The Art of Loneliness by Timothy Eden ? Kickstarter

As a solo adventurist myself, ie: introvert, I find it hugely beneficial to get outside, get some "me" time for a weekend, since I work in a very social type job.

Something that is also interesting is the effect on my health, namely, smoking. When in civilization, I get so stressed / bored / what have you, that I smoke like a damn chimney. But get me out on the road, out in the wilderness, and that urge just goes away. It's.. peaceful, except when I'm about to die and all hell breaks loose. But I overcome, and feel a sense of.. something.

So what do you guys think?

Mandatory disclaimer: I'm not the project owner, nor am I advertising financing his project.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Could be an interesting book, but as far as I'm concerned, if he's going to get my money, it'll be after the book is published and I can buy it. I'll take the chance of whether or not a book will end up being good, but not on whether or not I'm really just paying for someone's vacation.
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    Could be an interesting book, but as far as I'm concerned, if he's going to get my money, it'll be after the book is published and I can buy it. I'll take the chance of whether or not a book will end up being good, but not on whether or not I'm really just paying for someone's vacation.
    I agree wholeheartedly. What do you think though about the solo / isolationist concept he has going on? Beneficial or detrimental?

I think it really depends on the person and their personality type really. As the saying goes, "No two people are alike."

Of course, there is always the medical concept behind "forest bathing", which MTB'ing could be considered as being.

Forest bathing

It basically states that there is a mental benefit to being in nature, as well as the boosting of immune cells. Of course, it doesn't include a study on the group vs solo aspect of it, but would be an interesting experiment to see how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I think the book, and concept, could be quite interesting, if well-written. At best it could be a fascinating pop-science exploration of the psychology of solitude and travel, mixed with engaging accounts of one person's experience. Still, I'll wait till there are reviews out before I spring any money for it.
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    could be an interesting book, but as far as i'm concerned, if he's going to get my money, it'll be after the book is published and i can buy it. I'll take the chance of whether or not a book will end up being good, but not on whether or not i'm really just paying for someone's vacation.
    bingo!