ballbuster

I finally got my bike rolling...

... sorta.

I built up my old Access29er frame with some parts bin parts, bought a set of BB7s and XT dual control levers. I'm stoked to finally get it rolling well enough to take it out for a test ride.

I probably have about $150 in new parts I had to buy to make this happen, but that's not too bad. The rest was sourced from the junk in my bins. I still need some adjusting, like I need a shorter stem (the bike is an XL size... too long for me normally) and my 12 year old XTR derailleur does not play well with a 36t big rear cog. The top derailleur pulley rides directly on the big cog, making noise. I like a silent bike.

I was having a blast on a loaded local test ride at Joaquin Miller Park, until I got to a steep climb locally known as Two Dollar Hill... and then, POP! I broke my Shimano XT M770 freehub. Yeah, its a common problem with this hub. They had a bad batch of pawls a while back, and I thought I avoided them... but I was wrong. I ended up riding the bike back home, fixie style!

So, still working out some bugs (like now, I need a new freehub body) but it railed the singletrack pretty well.... including some techy descent stuff. I had like 12 pounds of junk in the panniers including my 3.5 pound tent strapped to the rear rack... just as a test load to see how it would feel.

Getting close to a ramble!!

I've been riding at Joaquin Miller Park for over a decade, and I've never seen this pyramid. Crazy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    ... sorta.

I built up my old Access29er frame with some parts bin parts, bought a set of BB7s and XT dual control levers. I'm stoked to finally get it rolling well enough to take it out for a test ride.

...snip...

Getting close to a ramble!!
    Enjoy the new/old bike! Where are you headed?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Enjoy the new/old bike! Where are you headed?
    Dunno yet. I'll probably start out easy, like my front door in Oakland to Mt. Diablo and back for a simple overnighter... Just to get oriented. Maybe ride from house to BART, BART to SF, ride across the bridge to West Marin.... maybe drive to Henry Coe and ride in. If things go well and I gain confidence, Sierras, Lost Coast, multi day rambles.

And hey, if it turns out it isn't my thing, I'll sell the bike and get rid of what was a big pile of idle parts from the parts bin.

So, dang! That busted freehub us a $50 part for a $65 hub. I may as well buy a new hub and rob it for the freehub, and also gain a better XT skewer... Or man up and just get a better whole rear wheel. I have an extra DT Swiss 340 hub in the parts bin I got for stupid cheap at a swap meet, but I hate to take the time and hassle to lace it to this cruddy hoop. Maybe if I start doing this bikepacking thing more, I'll build a better wheelset for it.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 07-16-2013 at 05:18 AM.