I built up my old Access29er frame with some parts bin parts, bought a set of BB7s and XT dual control levers. I'm stoked to finally get it rolling well enough to take it out for a test ride.
I probably have about $150 in new parts I had to buy to make this happen, but that's not too bad. The rest was sourced from the junk in my bins. I still need some adjusting, like I need a shorter stem (the bike is an XL size... too long for me normally) and my 12 year old XTR derailleur does not play well with a 36t big rear cog. The top derailleur pulley rides directly on the big cog, making noise. I like a silent bike.
I was having a blast on a loaded local test ride at Joaquin Miller Park, until I got to a steep climb locally known as Two Dollar Hill... and then, POP! I broke my Shimano XT M770 freehub. Yeah, its a common problem with this hub. They had a bad batch of pawls a while back, and I thought I avoided them... but I was wrong. I ended up riding the bike back home, fixie style!
So, still working out some bugs (like now, I need a new freehub body) but it railed the singletrack pretty well.... including some techy descent stuff. I had like 12 pounds of junk in the panniers including my 3.5 pound tent strapped to the rear rack... just as a test load to see how it would feel.
Getting close to a ramble!!
I've been riding at Joaquin Miller Park for over a decade, and I've never seen this pyramid. Crazy.
Results 1 to 3 of 3
Thread: I finally got my bike rolling...