mtbr member
    Nov 2010

How to protect MSR bladders from abrasion?

I plan on carrying 4-liter MSR DromLite bladders on racks and in panniers this fall. I am worried about the potential abrasion & wear and tear on the rack-mounted bladders.

Thinking about sewing up some type of fabric "sock" to slip them in before bungee-ing them on to the racks. Or maybe there is something off-the-shelf I could buy?

Looking for ideas, and I know others have already done this in some way.

Thanks for any help!

Joe

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378419266.876420.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  18.6 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Re: How to protect MSR bladders from abrasion?

I have the 6 L bladder and I think they are made out of pretty tough stuff. I'd say as long as there isn't anything sharp rubbing on it I wouldn't think it would be an issue. Of course you could get the even tougher cordura covered bag if you think you needed more protection. I guess if it became an issue you could simply wrap a shirt or something around it; or maybe try sticking gorilla/duct tape on the rubby spots or something. Good luck.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/wa...y-bags/product

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    That's right. They are burly; totally abrasion tough. Punctures (think tent stakes) are the thing to worry about. Consider 1.5L tall boy nalgenes as an alternative for in the panniers. Bomber plus easier to pack and individually access / drain with less upset to pack job / weight distribution.

mtbr member

Keep in mind any sock you build for them is an opportunity for something to get inside and rub on the waterbag that would have simply dropped off as you bounce down the road.

You can get tougher versions of these bags to if you are worried about damage. I've strapped them to the top of OMM racks for tours without any damage. In fact I've never managed to put a hole in a MSR water bag...loosing the lids...well that's another story....
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Run with mine now going on 8 months and had no issues. I was kind of shocked they could take the hell I put things through, but they can and them some.
    De oppresso liber

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Drombags where I used to work have about a 10-15 year life with about 80 days a year of being thrown around by kids. Many of them are jammed behind kayak seats and used as foot bags. I wouldn't be too worried about them.