Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    I have caught fish and cooked them up before...
    ...but wondering if anyone else has done similar.
    During my Tour Divide experience, I came across a deer that had been hit by a car.

Here's what happened, and a snip of my Tour Divide retrospective.

Riding out of Salida, I spent a good 15 miles on pavement before I hit a 30 mile stretch of tiny park roads and a nasty long climb to Marshal Pass. But right before my tires touched dirt, I had to kill a deer.

I came across an older couple, probably in their 60's, speaking with another slightly younger (40s?) Hispanic woman. Then I saw, off to the side of the road, an animal laying in the ditch.

It was still moving.

I immediately threw my bike down and ran up to the group and asked "Who hit the deer?"

They looked at me like I was an idiot.

Apparently, the Hispanic lady was somewhat lost, and the elderly couple stopped to help her out. And 10 yards away from them was a female mule deer writhing in agony. The poor thing had been hit by a car probably earlier that morning. It had a broken back, and two compound leg fractures (front and back, right side). It was still very conscious and didn't want me near it. But, it couldn't get up to run away either.

After I pointed this out to the individuals at the road, the Hispanic women exclaimed "Dios Mio!" and I asked if the older gentleman was squeemish at all.

He said "No..." but his face and tone said "Aw crap..." I grabbed my knife from my bike and told him to hold the front legs and keep the doe from moving while I slit its throat.

I made it quick and clean. I held it until it stopped struggling. Afterwards, hands, knife, and jersey bloodied, I put my knife away and thanked the man.
    We didn't shake hands, for obvious reasons.

I saw the Hispanic woman digging around in her car, saying something. She pulls out a small vial of water. Apparently this was "holy water", and she began crossing herself as she splashed it on the dead deer.

I nearly asked if she had anymore to wash my knife with, but thought better of it. I had places to be.

--------

This is the closest I have come to fishing or hunting while bike-packing. However, I have thought numerous times of hunting for squirrel, rabbit, or fowl with my bike. That seems ideal. Larger animals would need to be field dressed quickly, and even then to harvest the meat would be a chore for anything but a Big Dummy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    This is awesome. Ive been wanting to do this for a long time. Just waiting on the weather to cool down here in south florida. :-/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great thread and pictures so far.

mtbr member
    From Colorado's Uncompahgre Plateau a couple weeks ago. Dusky grouse AKA Blue grouse, made great stir fry and strapped on my camelback. P.S. I only carry the .22 pistol during grouse season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan View Post
    From Colorado's Uncompahgre Plateau a couple weeks ago. Dusky grouse AKA Blue grouse, made great stir fry and strapped on my camelback. P.S. I only carry the .22 pistol during grouse season.

pretty good shootin with the pistola
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    They don't call them "fool hen's" for nothing!

Cheesiest
    Cool thread! After my first overnighter last weekend, I think I'm finally going to be able to combine fishing and bike packing (hopefully packrafting).

Any recommendations for fly-fishing rigs that breakdown nice and small?

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    Cool thread! After my first overnighter last weekend, I think I'm finally going to be able to combine fishing and bike packing (hopefully packrafting).

orvis has a travel kit that breaks down to about 18".

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer View Post
    orvis has a travel kit that breaks down to about 18".
    Flyfishing and bikepacking go hand in hand and deserve its own thread

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    I haven't had the chance to do any fishing on the bike packs I've done...there isn't much trout fishing in SoCal unfortunately. I've fished plenty on backpacking trips and plenty on day rides. If I can work some bike-packs again in CO next year fishing will definitely be part of the plan, though I won't rely on it. Too hard when you aren't familiar with the waters. Even if you don't keep anything it will still be fun.

From an overnight backpack in the Sierras this summer. Cooked dinner and stashed food 1/4mi downstream of camp due to tons of fresh bear sign.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wow, what a crazy story FNFAL!

And great pics in this thread! I wish there was more running water near me, but alas, its the high desert. I have considered eating rabbit as I come across a lot in my explores. I almost ran over one last bikepacking trip. But dressing it seems kind of like a hassle, especially in bear and mountain lion country. Also not something you can for sure count on getting.

But I used to do a lot of canoe tripping up in Ontario and Manitoba. You could always count on a number of fish meals there - large mouth bass, walleye and northern pike mainly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2