mtbr member
    Sep 2014

How do I get started in Louisiana?

Two questions: one basic how do I get started bike packing? I have experience backpacking, so I understand the gear necessary. I am having trouble finding bags to carry it.

Also, are there any bikepacking trips to be taken in Louisiana? or southern Mississippi?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well, if you have a bike and a backpack (as in, just a normal daypack, no 80L backpack as that is not be comfortable on a bike) you can already start doing some smaller trips. There is no real need for expensive gear (yeah, it can make your trips more pleasant/comfortable, but a real need? Don't think so). Just pack some essentials, hop on your bike, and go I would personally only invest in some gear if you are thinking of doing larger or more trips, but I don't know what your plans are.

What kind of bike do you have? If you give us some more information we can give you some more specific information maybe?

I'm not from the States so I don't know anything about routes, but looking at Google Maps I a lot of forests or national parks that to my would sound worth exploring further?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just have a Motobecane hardtail 26er

Right now i really like the idea of doing some weekend exploring and camping

The Voice of Reason
    look for a used bob trailer. that's what i use and i'm not scared to take it anywhere. as far as louisiana, i would just look on the google maps and find a state forest with lots of dirt roads.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

since 4/10/2009
    Not going to have a lot of options down that way. Best bet would be to head north into Arkansas. There's a little bit available in Texas, but it's really sandy in the areas I'm thinking of, and you'd do better on a fatbike in those spots. I did some day exploration in the Davey Crockett NF and Angelina NF in Texas when I lived in the area and there are a few possibilities. There MIGHT be enough land in western and NW LA to piece together dirt roads on some of the national forest land out there. You'll probably find that most of the trails there do not permit bikes, though...if there are many trails. For all the NF land in TX, there are relatively few trails. The forest districts there don't really care about recreation. I'll suppose that Louisiana won't be much different.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Saw this: Wild Azalea Out and Back Mountain Bike Trail, Woodworth, LA

Looked interesting. Ride one way, camp, then ride back to the car the next day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I was working at vendors place in Mobile Alabama last June; a couple of guys I met there used to go bikepacking to a forest park in Mississippi near Hattisburg or to the hills North of Birmingham for long weekends. I wasn't there long enough to go on a trip so can't comment on what it's like

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregon2wheels View Post
    Saw this: Wild Azalea Out and Back Mountain Bike Trail, Woodworth, LA

Looked interesting. Ride one way, camp, then ride back to the car the next day.
    Sweet Thanks! I talked to a guy in our local bike club and he said this was a pretty good trail. If you do it right, it can be a 70 mile ride. I would like to try it. thanks for the link

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    I was working at vendors place in Mobile Alabama last June; a couple of guys I met there used to go bikepacking to a forest park in Mississippi near Hattisburg or to the hills North of Birmingham for long weekends. I wasn't there long enough to go on a trip so can't comment on what it's like
    That's probably DeSoto National Forest. It's just a few miles south of Hattiesburg. That's all i want to do at first. Bike in Friday, Camp and bike back out Saturday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Do you have gravel roads that you can link together for a good route?

Living in Iowa, I have plenty of gravel to choose from and will map out a ride to a small state or county park and find a spot to stealth camp. As much as I'd love to ride singletrack and do a bikepacking trip in the woods, I don't really have that option. But, what I can do is get good practice in and still spend the nights in a small section of woods.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That sounds good. What do you mean by stealth camp?

The closest state park to me is about 30 miles away. That involves interstates. I could camp on our family land, but I see it all the time. I want something new.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Stealth camping is just pulling off the road at the end of the day and keeping a very low profile. No fire, maybe quick propane stove food, set up low profile tent or bivy and sleep. Waking and leaving in discreet manner as well.

As for getting to that park, don't think like a car. There are bound to be back roads, gravel roads, atv trails in the ditch and other methods to get there. Pull up Google maps and explore. Look for the lowest traffic roads that you can find.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That is exactly what I wanted to do. I love the freedom of just pulling off whatever road I was on and camping.

I will definitely do some research

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hi all
    My son and I have done a Bikepacking trip on the Wild Azalea it was good. There are a bunch of jeep tracks gravel

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Bikepacking Wild Azalea Trail

Sorry about the truncated message.
    And gravel to go with the single track.
    It's fun for a overnight, or a slow riding look around for maybe two days.. I am also looking for some other options in Louisana or Mississippi for one or two night trips..

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok well new on the forum
    First part of message didn't post.
    So here goes again.

My son and I did a over night on the trail. It's fun. There are some nice camping spots around the lake. If we do it again we would ride from Woodward to Lake Valentine and back.