Pedaling Nowhere

'Hop-can' stoves: made and tested 5 variations of can stoves for bikepacking

Made several variations out of some nice hoppy beer cans. I was trying to figure out the best option for conserving fuel and boiling time. Ended up putting together a quick how-to and testing results as well:

Hop-can Stoves: How to make 5 ultralight bikepacking stoves - Pedaling Nowhere

'Hop-can' stoves: made and tested 5 variations of can stoves for bikepacking-2013-08-22_main-740x493.jpg
    -------------------------------------------------
    pedalingnowhere.com

ballbuster
    Heh.... I just made an alchy stove from Arizona Ice Tea cans... a bit bigger around than standard. I also made it extra tall. I may have gone a bit overboard with this one. It makes a flame that stands like 9" tall out of the top.

Pics later.... it's kinda crazy. I'm not sure how useful it will be in the field.

Pedaling Nowhere
    Dang, be careful with that. Might boil water fast!?
    pedalingnowhere.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Great write-up through that link on your process. Thanks for posting!

I made a penny stove last year and have used it half a dozen times since. It works perfectly fine, though I am always looking for improvement. I did not, for example, crimp the top half at the side hole locations before connecting the two halves. Also, the version I copied had me put fiberglass insulation inside to absorb the alcohol. Is there a reason you did not? Have you tried that and if so, did it have any impact on performance? Is it just unnecessary?

I usually bikepack solo and so am usually just boiling a cup or two for coffee/tea and sometimes ramen. So, time to boil and fuel consumption hasn't been a huge concern. But if going for longer or with others, it could be. I may try one of the other designs here and see what the difference is.

Thanks again!

Pedaling Nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by wahday View Post
    Great write-up through that link on your process. Thanks for posting!

I made a penny stove last year and have used it half a dozen times since. It works perfectly fine, though I am always looking for improvement. I did not, for example, crimp the top half at the side hole locations before connecting the two halves. Also, the version I copied had me put fiberglass insulation inside to absorb the alcohol. Is there a reason you did not? Have you tried that and if so, did it have any impact on performance? Is it just unnecessary?

I usually bikepack solo and so am usually just boiling a cup or two for coffee/tea and sometimes ramen. So, time to boil and fuel consumption hasn't been a huge concern. But if going for longer or with others, it could be. I may try one of the other designs here and see what the difference is.

Thanks again!
    Hey, thanks! No, I haven't tried the fiberglass absorb method. I have heard of it, but all of the designs I tried use only cans (except the last one that uses the rivnut and some JB Weld). I may look into it though just to see.

Try the sideburner design, I think it is my favorite... especially just for boiling.
    pedalingnowhere.com