mtbr member

Help me decide - MTB or Cooper CX or Backroad?

Am interested in a all-rounder bike to do bikepacking and expeditions as well as commuting purposes.

Should I get another MTB? WIth the 29er "fad", these are getting much more affordable. I already have a few of them anyway.

Alternatively, it will be between the Lynskey Cooper CX or the Backroad. Both bikes are very attractive for different reasons - fast all-rounder and a solid bomb-proof tourer. I am leaning towards the Backroad but I was wondering if ]the Backroad might be sluggish for less than expedition type duties.

Or just jump on bandwagon and get a 29er? :-)

What do you guys think?

Btw, I plan to be using frame bags etc. The racks are for backup purposes.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by fishy; 08-11-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    I think this would largely depend on how you intend to use the bike. If your touring is 90% road, 10% dirt, I'd say go the Backroad. If it was the opposite, I'd probably lean more towards a MTB.

One thing to note about frame bags - touring bikes have a much larger main triangle, which means a bigger frame bag. It also means you'll have to solve the bag-bulge issue, as it will be harder to keep the bag from bulging on a larger triangle. I don't know if this is just perception or not, but the horizontal distance between the pedals (there's a special name for it, but it eludes me at the moment) is narrower on my road bikes than it is on my MTB, so this further compounds the bag bulge problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Did you actually refer to 29ers both as a "fad" and "bandwagon" in the same post? Listening to Lynskey talk about the reasons for using the 44mm headtube in the Backroad video was funny.