mtbr member

Heated grips, really?

I have been riding since the mid 80's, after I was retired out of the Army back in 2004 I just came to Europe and having been living off my rig since then.

Today one of my mates showed up here at the camp site in Germany where we are meeting at for our migration south to Italy for the winter. She got a new rig and I was checking it out (pretty nice) and I notice her grips had a little button on each one. I figured it was like a micro switch for a light on the foregrip of a weapon, so I had to ask because it just did not seem practical.

It was built in palm warmers, could not believe it. I have never even heard of these things before, but like I said we migrate south each year and for a reason too. LOL

Any of you folks ever heard of these things or hell used them before. Back in Texas when our hands get cold we have things like gloves. LOL

To top it off she had these odd looking socks that went over her bars she could slide her hands into.

Never seen this stuff before.
    De oppresso liber

Rogue Exterminator
    They have been around on motorcycles for years. Never had them but some people swear by them.

Also you can get a car with a heated steering wheel.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    They have been around on motorcycles for years. Never had them but some people swear by them.

Also you can get a car with a heated steering wheel.
    I had some on my motorcycle. The simplest design is resistive wiring under the rubber grips. On a motorcycle you have to run a different current draw through the left and right bars, because the left grip is rubber over metal, but the right grip is rubber over a plastic throttle tube, which insulates it slightly from the metal (so you always have a difference between left and right grips). Obviously this isn't an issue on bicycles.

Something that happened to me makes me wary of using heated grips on bicycles though. My throttle grip resistive wires shorted out and ended up burning my hand through my padded glove. It was rigged to an alternator rather than a battery, but I imagine shorting out a battery is not a good idea.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    Something that happened to me makes me wary of using heated grips on bicycles though. My throttle grip resistive wires shorted out and ended up burning my hand through my padded glove. It was rigged to an alternator rather than a battery, but I imagine shorting out a battery is not a good idea.
    Big difference in the voltage of a battery on a motorcycle and anything that would be used on a bicycle. I doubt burning your hand will be a huge concern with any of the rechargeable battery packs used with the bike grips.

mtbr member
    Dude, thanks for the intel, I will pass that on to her. She has some lithium batteries, so I am sure she would not want those to short out. Thanks.

She said later this evening after dinner that she has this new rig because come spring she will head north east to Tajikistan, north from there and then back west into Europe. She plans on about a 10 month trip and then meeting back up in Italy again.

Thanks again for that intel.
    De oppresso liber

mtbr member
    The socks over the bar are called "pogies" or "bar mitts". They do wonders to keep your hands warm in cold weather.

Heated grips... Not my thing on a bicycle. On the move your body produces a lot of heat, so most of the time proper mittens suffice, pogies come in handy in extreme situations.
    On a motorcycle or snowmobile it's different because you're not as active, you go a lot faster (windchill) and you have an alternator to produce electricity for gadgets.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan67 View Post
    Dude, thanks for the intel, I will pass that on to her. She has some lithium batteries, so I am sure she would not want those to short out. Thanks.
    Don't go freaking her out over that.
    First off, that is the first time I have ever heard anyone having that issue.
    Also, it was on a motorcycle hooked to the alternator which produces a lot more volts and amps. Also they are supposed to be hooked to the battery, not "rigged to the alternator" which means they were improperly installed.

I will agree with Saul though, I see no point in the for a bicycle but if it makes your friend smile then they are worth it. The chances of them shorting out and burning her is probably 0%.

Don't go freaking her out over that.
    First off, that is the first time I have ever heard anyone having that issue.
    Also, it was on a motorcycle hooked to the alternator which produces a lot more volts and amps. Also they are supposed to be hooked to the battery, not "rigged to the alternator" which means they were improperly installed.

I will agree with Saul though, I see no point in the for a bicycle but if it makes your friend smile then they are worth it. The chances of them shorting out and burning her is probably 0%.
    Yup, it's not something I would worry about on your bicycle. The current flowing through the wires is probably 1-10% of the current that I had running through my grips. Still, the burns were pretty bad (my grips and gloves caught fire) so I don't think I'll ever get really comfortable with the idea of heated grips. At the time the bigger problem wasn't the fire, it was actually that the throttle tube melted to the handlebars and locked the throttle in the open position, so I couldn't decelerate - again, not something you have to worry about on a bicycle!!

It was a pretty bad experience, especially considering I was over 400 mi from home.

EDIT: in case you're wondering, this happened near Maupin, OR; I live in Seattle, WA and it was on my 2004 DL650 Suzuki V-Strom, with the cheap resistive wrap rather than the OEM heated grips. The guy who owned the bike before me had great ideas but poor execution.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    On a bicycle, interesting. On my motorcycles Hot Grips were awesome though.

Rogue Exterminator
    it was on my 2004 DL650 Suzuki V-Strom, with the cheap resistive wrap rather than the OEM heated grips. The guy who owned the bike before me had great ideas but poor execution.
    Seriously dude?

Sounds like a total ghetto rig nightmare.
    I would think if you actually bought a real set of heated grips and installed them properly that you probably wouldn't have anything to worry about. lol

Seriously dude?

Sounds like a total ghetto rig nightmare.
    I would think if you actually bought a real set of heated grips and installed them properly that you probably wouldn't have anything to worry about. lol
    The grips were installed by the previous owner (of all people, an Iron Butt Rider too...), not by me. I would have used the OEM kit with the rheostat, with it running through two independent fuses wired through a common area (one for left grip, one for right, common wiring for ease of service); it would be more expensive but worth every penny, not only for safety but also for reasons of fault diagnosis.

There was all kinds of electrical weirdness with that bike. He glued the blinker plugs together too, rather than using the proper plugs that have a security catch. Bike was mechanically A+ but when you got to the wiring harness, all you wanted to do was tear your hair out and resolder everything from scratch. It was a miracle he used the right gauge wiring.

It would have taken me the better part of 3-4 months to rewire the bike properly as my day job doesn't leave much spare time, but wouldn't have been very difficult - mostly a snip-and-solder job with a central fuse box installation under the seat. I ended up selling the bike for the same amount I bought it for, and warned the new owner of the woes (and that it wasn't my fault).

Rogue Exterminator
    Sounds like you did the best thing possible.
    Once it gets to that point, if you don't have time, get rid of the headache.

I have sold some bikes for the exact same reason.

@adelorenzo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan67 View Post
    Any of you folks ever heard of these things or hell used them before. Back in Texas when our hands get cold we have things like gloves. LOL
    I don't know how cold it gets in Texas, nor have I ever tried heated grips, but if you have ever ridden a bike at 40 below they don't seem like such a crazy idea. Until the batteries freeze up, anyways.

I do own a set of insulated pogies (aka bar mitts), these are very common and basically required equipment around here.

mtbr member
    Thanks to all who replied, I showed her this thread, then felt like and ass because she does not read or speak English, new to me and known her since 2006 (LOL). The conversation on the topic with her went from heat grips to English class for a 6'4" 230 pound Lithuanian chick that gets frustrated easy.

We have a couple more days waiting for some other riders before we head out for the winter to Italy, I can not wait, another Italian winter with good friends, nice beaches, good fishing, good hunting, good metal detecting and great camping. Wish it could stay 40 there all year.
    De oppresso liber

Rogue Exterminator
    There is nothing for her to see here anyways unless she decides to make some ghetto home made heated grips and wire them in completely wrong to an alternator (probably without fuses too).

So basically don't freak her out and frustrate her more especially with her new toy. Let be her be happy and worry free because it will never happen with her set up.

I agree with that. But in the unlikely event of something going wrong... pics or it didn't happen