Thread: Hammocks

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Hammocks

Just out of curiosity, is anyone here using a hammock when bikepacking?

Obviously, trees are required. I've done some regular camping and sleeping on the ground can be a bit tough on the lower back for me.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Oct. 2012: Pine Barrens of NJ - Julian Bender - Travels and Photos

As seen here...

The hammock, along with other things, fits into the handlebar roll shown here
    Last edited by jbphilly; 06-24-2014 at 06:30 AM.
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Name:  normcamping-300x225.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  28.0 KBHammocks-p4270937.jpgBeen using the Hennessy Hammock for at least 5 years now, yes, trees are nice but we have also gotten fairly adept at setting up as a shelter on the ground - for rides where we are pretty confident trees won't be available we did invest in light weight sleeping pads.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Yup. Apparent nerve damage to my lower back makes sleeping on the ground pretty rough. Hammocks FTW. Even our 8yo daughter has a hammock of her own now, and we just did our first girls-only backpacking trip last week.

These were from a solo bikepacking trip I did last summer. Our current lashup is now all Revelate so the front roll is a little tighter these days, but basically my whole shelter kit plus a few extras goes up front and my sleeping bag + pot/stove + maybe puffy jacket or other mashable clothing goes behind. Food, water, and tools went in a camelbak.

"...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Is the hammock hung under the fly in the second set of pictures? I have a Hennesy, but I've been reluctant to use it like this since the fabric seems like it would tear easily if used on the ground like a tent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the info, everyone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I use one.

I carry an Eno doublenest, an MSR Ewing tarp, a thermarest and a groundcloth.

This allows me to either sleep on the ground or in the hammock, but is a lot to carry. I'd be worried about not being equipped to sleep on the ground, in case I wind up sleeping somewhere treeless. It's worth carrying the hammock, because it's the best outdoor sleep I've ever had.

Something to keep in mind is that you need either a thermarest or an underquilt when sleeping in a hammock if you're dealing with even mildly cold temperatures, because you'll get no insulation from the sleeping bag that you're laying on top of.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks, wbargz - good info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Love my eno double nest, yes closed cell foam pad on yer backside. Hang a bug net on the top line, 8.5x9.5 ft sil tarp for rain. Each end of the tarp has a real carabiner with 2 descending rings. Take the 15' of webbing and wrap around tree and feed through the 2 rings once. Secure with 1 overhand loop for safety. Just like your web ring buckle that holds up yer pants.
    Last edited by leeboh; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:21 AM.

I dream on two wheels
    Ever since I got bit by a mouse while sleeping on the ground during the CTR, I will only use a hammock. I had decided not to take it for the race because of the weight, but learned my lesson. This is from a shake down ride, was really windy that night and was mostly protected.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Q for those using a hennessy hammock with the larger hex tarp, does that all fit in the snake skins?
    where on the bike are you carrying that? saddle bag? bar roll? and in either case, where does your sleeping bag go?
    new to the hammock and although not as bulky as my tent i'm still unsure where to carry it when i go rackless.
    cheers
    Steve

Slothful dirt hippie
    You can see a breakdown on what I carried where on my original trip report here.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I use an eno singlenest. Super comfy, easy to setup. Much lighter than my tent setup and has always kept me dry.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Hammocks-imag1416.jpg

used my hammock for the first time over the 4th holiday. great to have a little lighter weight set up for the bike. Got down to 48 degrees at night and I found it quite comfortable with a 20 degree sleeping bag. Any colder, I think I will add a sleeping pad and/or bag liner. comfort wise, it will be hard to go back to a tent for anything other than winter camping.

ghost on a machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro_A View Post
    Is the hammock hung under the fly in the second set of pictures? I have a Hennesy, but I've been reluctant to use it like this since the fabric seems like it would tear easily if used on the ground like a tent.
    Yes, the hammock part is on the ground. I use a piece of Tyvek as a ground cloth to protect the nylon hammock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hydepark View Post
    Yes, the hammock part is on the ground. I use a piece of Tyvek as a ground cloth to protect the nylon hammock.
    Thanks! Tyvek seems perfect for that so I'll give it a try.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns View Post
    Ever since I got bit by a mouse while sleeping on the ground during the CTR, I will only use a hammock.
    What was your setup when you were bit?