Moderator Moderator

Great Divide Rider's Bike, Gear Stolen after 2500 miles

dirtbag
    damn, that sucks and so close to the finish.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    big bummer! i would have ran after the dude!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I would have taken my bike inside kmart with me, what are they going to do ask me to leave?

Cheesiest
    I've been asked to leave Target. Haven't been back since and don't plan on going back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Plenty of other stores around, and I've seen weirder **** inside Wal-Mart than someone with a bike.

Huckin' trails
    That sucks... I've also been refused to enter with my bike in a few stores (like FutureShop/BestBuy or even the library) and most of them won't make a penny with me. Not to start any debate on who lock their bikes, but I feel like the business in town don't realize how much better they would do with proper customer care... I mean they all offer parking for you car, handicap access, etc, but they still treat your bike like if it was a skateboard and not your actual commuter/transportation mean. How hard is it to offer safe and secure bike parking for a big store like K-mart ? And even more, how come people steal bikes nowadays ? K-mart sells cheap ones for $50 lol, no need to steal one
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Frickin' thieves........scum of the earth!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Saw the guy riding off and didnt catch him...? He must have been beat tired! because i don't think everyone is going to know how to use the old index shifters and get up to good speed with 30+ lbs of gear on the bike.

Too bad

mtbr member
    Update: A good samaritan chased down the thief and recovered the bike. Divide rider should have it back tomorrow. Love a happy ending.

Travelling cyclist stolen bike recovered
    The older I get the better I was...

Moderator Moderator
    Wow, thanks for the update - good news!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Was a quick recovery too, the guy was probably on his way to pawn the bike and gear when he got spotted.

Only change will come when people start doing the right thing. One small thing at a time

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Awesome. I'm glad he got his bike back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Update: A good samaritan chased down the thief and recovered the bike. Divide rider should have it back tomorrow. Love a happy ending.

Travelling cyclist stolen bike recovered
    Wow, that's a great ending. I hope that local riders have filled Ismael Mena's fridge with fresh beer!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Way to go Ismael! And a little redemption for New Mexicans, too. That was a crappy story that ended well. Just sorry his ride was cut short...

mtbr member
    It happens everywhere. A few years ago when I was walking the beat in downtown Calgary I saw two guys trying to steal the bags off the motorcycle of a fella riding around the world. Ended up in a foot chase and catching the guys under the Calgary tower.

The guy had his life in the bags and he was approximately 3 weeks from finishing the trip. He was in tears he was so grateful. We locked his bike up in the Calgary Police Association lot overnight while he stayed in a hotel. We still keep in touch by email.

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by thesilversurfer View Post
    It happens everywhere. A few years ago when I was walking the beat in downtown Calgary I saw two guys trying to steal the bags off the motorcycle of a fella riding around the world. Ended up in a foot chase and catching the guys under the Calgary tower.

The guy had his life in the bags and he was approximately 3 weeks from finishing the trip. He was in tears he was so grateful. We locked his bike up in the Calgary Police Association lot overnight while he stayed in a hotel. We still keep in touch by email.
    There should be a medal for efforts like that!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Man. I'm not an adventure rider (yet!) but the few times I take my bike into stores and fast food places I don't ask for permission, I don't apologize, and if they don't let me bring it in I get reallly snotty and uncivil and demand to speak to the manager.

About the only time in my life I am anything other than polite. I don't carry a huge lock if I even carry one and I'm not going to tempt the local meth addicts with an easy twenty-dollar pawn.

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    ... I'm not going to tempt the local meth addicts with an easy twenty-dollar pawn.
    Meth - the true scum of the earth.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    It sucks a lot that he lost is bike but also amazing that someone chased down the thief and got his bike back. The world takes away and the world gives back.... or something like that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Man. I'm not an adventure rider (yet!) but the few times I take my bike into stores and fast food places I don't ask for permission, I don't apologize, and if they don't let me bring it in I get reallly snotty and uncivil and demand to speak to the manager.

About the only time in my life I am anything other than polite. I don't carry a huge lock if I even carry one and I'm not going to tempt the local meth addicts with an easy twenty-dollar pawn.
    Really, you don't carry locks and demand that an establishment store your bikes? If they don't, then what? You ride back home an boycott the business. What's wrong with using a couple quality U-Locks and cables? I mean If you have to spend the night some place, park it inside the hotel room but I don't understand boycotting every store that doesn't allow us to store our bikes inside.

mtbr member
    Way to go random person with love of bikes! This story is a true bummer, however the ending is great!