mtbr member
    Oct 2013

A good second choice to a Fargo Ti

After weeks of research I decided on the Fargo Ti for my wife and the Fargo 2 for myself only to be frustrated with Salsa policy and QBP policies on dealers. I am in a rural area and the closest dealer is over 2 hours away in a direction I very rarely go. I am still waiting to see if they will make an exception for my shop who is a QBP dealer but a non-Salsa dealer.

I know I could build up a frame, and would delight in that experience, but I am not enthused about doubling the price as compared with a "complete bike". I am hoping to find a couple other options along the same vane as the Fargo Ti, if they exist. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Gyro_t; 11-19-2013 at 05:32 PM.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Check out Bikeman.com. They also own Carver Bikes. They can build you a custom ti complete bike with braze ons, s&s couplers, rack/fender mounts and custom geometry. Ask for Davis. Plus, they also carry salsa bikes too. I also realize you may want to support your lbs too. But just giving an option. Hope you find what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought my Fargo (Frame) from Universal cycles. They also sell complete bikes. If you don't feel like putting it together you can pay them to do that and ship it.

EDIT: I will say they have some outstanding customer service.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    After my persistence with Salsa and the LBS, they will sell single bikes to me, given that there are no dealers within a 100 miles.
    RPG, the Carver frames look very cool. I think it would be interesting to see what that would run compared to a Salsa Fargo Ti frame. I would expect it to be a lot more, since it would be truely custom made if I specified the geometry I wanted. I will check into it.
    Jumpmonkey, thanks to you again for your help. Universal cycles is a good ace in the hole as they are not out of reach of me at the Portland location. I have a 2013 Mariachi on the way for my son who has not had a new mountain bike since his Schwinn High Plains when he was 12. He is past 30 now! The Fargo Ti will get ordered as soon as the complete bikes are available, which I believe will be in about a month. I am thinking about those S&S couplers now. We are cycling in Italy, Slovenia, and Croatia in June. I have spent a lot of time looking at airlines guidelines and forums on air travel in bikeforum.net. Still does not look easy.
    Thanks again,

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Gyro, check out Carverbikes.com. Their frames are not as much as you think for custom. Fwiw, I love the fargo ti. Either way, you're going to have a sick bike. Enjoy and post pics of the places you go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just looked at their site. Very impressed at the value. This might be my next, and probably one and only "adventure" bike ever, so thanks.