mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Front Range Rohloff assistance

I'm debating on whether to transition to a Rohloff hub for remote touring, but am scared investing that kind of money without seeing/playing with one. I know there are a million posts about cost/benefits, but I was wondering if anyone in the Boulder/Denver/FTC area had one on their rig and wouldn't mind letting me take a look at it/taking a spin around the block. I want to see how bad this 1-7 "noise" really is (months of silence with a noisey hub might be annoying). Or if anyone not in the area has any feedback on the how loud it really is, that'd be awesome. Thanks everyone! (I apologize if this is redundant, I couldn't find another post on noise)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    It's louder than the Ultegra Di2 drive train I use on my road bike (which I adore). But the Rohloff is perfect for the touring bike in my opinion. How much noise is too much is an exercise for you to determine. But my Rohloff doesn't bother me. 7th gear is the noisiest but not too loud for me. And it's getting quieter as I ride it. Thats just my .02

mtbr member
    I've had a Rohloff hub on my Surly Moonlander for just over a year now and it is hands down my favorite piece of gear (no pun intended) and has been worth every cent to me. I tried the Alfine 8 and for ME was no where near as robust or reliable. The noise or feel has never bothered me and like kgreen above, it gets quieter with the miles you put on. I have ridden mine in rain, snow, dust, mud, gravel, et cetera all over my area of Northern UT year round and haven't stitch of problem to date. Due for it's yearly oil change and beyond that I intend to put gobs of mixed terrain miles on it for another year! I am a fan, and given the opportunity to outfit another bike someday, I WILL own another.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks both of you for your responses and your input. Now I just need to figure out how to afford one...