mtbr member
    Oct 2013

front rack opinion

I've been searching for the perfect front rack for my touring mtn. bike which has front suspension, 26" rims.

The only thing I can find that best suits me is this front rack from Zefal.
    Raider Front - ZĂ©fal

Does anyone have a better choice or is this is as good as it gets for a bike with front suspension?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    bike town adventures - Welcome
    Last edited by Charles1970; 11-03-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: forgot to ad link

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You could try looking at the Thule Pack N Pedal racks. I have not used them personally; they seem to get mixed reviews, some good some not so good.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Holy moly!! Thanks Big Papa Nut!
    I've found what I needed.

You rule, rule, rule!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post

+1 - I've been touring on OMM racks for more than a decade. They are strong, light and will fit virtually any bike.

Plus they are made in the US by some bike nerds which I like...

Dual OMM Coldsprings racks on my Pugsley fatbike in Baja in photo above.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Another vote for Old Man Mountain racks. Totally bombproof. I've been abusing a Cold Springs Model for a long time and swear by it. I believe they've discontinued that particular model, but all their stuff is great.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles1970 View Post
    Does anyone have a better choice or is this is as good as it gets for a bike with front suspension?
    Does putting a load on the fork sliders mess with the front suspension by adding scads of unsprung weight? Mightn't a bikepacking handlebar roll work better? Just thinking out loud...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    Another vote for Old Man Mountain racks. Totally bombproof. I've been abusing a Cold Springs Model for a long time and swear by it. I believe they've discontinued that particular model, but all their stuff is great.

The new OMM rack looks very nice.

Old Man Mountain Front Pannier Racks For Any Bike

Sadly I can't see how I am going to wear the OMM racks I now have to justify trying a new one.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlcanon View Post
    Does putting a load on the fork sliders mess with the front suspension by adding scads of unsprung weight? Mightn't a bikepacking handlebar roll work better? Just thinking out loud...
    If you want to really ride technical mountain bike trails I would suggest skipping panniers and racks. You can do it, but it's not that much fun as you have to ride to keep your gear in one piece as opposed to shredding the trail as hard as you can. I don't find the unsprung weight is as much of an issue as it might be otherwise because if you are riding with racks and panniers you can't really push your bike uber hard anyways.

With soft bags you can ride much more normally. However, they don't hold as much so it just depends what your needs are. I own and use both setups. I'd always rather be riding with softbags and light loads, but occasionally I need panniers to carry large amounts of food/gear. Particularly when I am trying to get weight off my touring partner's bike to even things up.

For dirt road touring panniers and racks aren't too bad although I still prefer softbags, but the difference in how you ride the bike isn't as dramatic.

Here is an OMM video that shows some riding with front panniers and shocks. It's pretty buff California riding though. Not what my trails are like in BC!

OMM-Born in the USA on Vimeo
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've got an OMM on the back of a bike and like it, but this seems to address the unsprung weight issue, if that's a concern:front rack suspension fork

Edited to add this Tubus that gets the rack off the sliders: Tubus Swing Bicycle Bike Rack for Front Suspension Forks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Sadly I can't see how I am going to wear the OMM racks I now have to justify trying a new one.
    Exactly! I've taken mine FAR beyond what it was designed to do, and I've still got it:

Yeah, that's a passenger on my OMM Cold Springs! I did that quite regularly for a couple of years. A friend fabbed metal mounts for flip down motorcycle pegs, and I usually had my passengers reach behind them and hold onto my bar ends, but this one was belligerently drunk and refused. We still made it safely to our destination over 5 miles away though!
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    Exactly! I've taken mine FAR beyond what it was designed to do, and I've still got it:

Yeah, that's a passenger on my OMM Cold Springs! I did that quite regularly for a couple of years. A friend fabbed metal mounts for flip down motorcycle pegs, and I usually had my passengers reach behind them and hold onto my bar ends, but this one was belligerently drunk and refused. We still made it safely to our destination over 5 miles away though!
    Whoa! Okay you have officially impressed me and I was already feeling pretty good about my OMM racks.

I'm going to save that picture for the next time somebody asks me if they are tough enough for hard use.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com