mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Front bag system for H-bars?

I bought a frame bag for my new Pugsley and thought about going with bags for the rest of the set up instead of tinkering with racks to put my panniers on. There will be no issues with the seat bag, but I'm wondering what kind of sling/roll/bag will gig on a set of Titec H-bars?
    Any photos or links you could post would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I use a Revelate Sling with a Sea to Summit Big River 20L dry bag. Fits and works perfectly IMO. The straps of the Sling fit right down near the stem and fit through the loops of the bag. I use it to hold my sleeping bag and pad, and could even hold some clothes if needed. The dry bag keeps my sleeping bag dry and I can just take the whole thing off and chuck it in my tent. Bad phone picture, sorry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front bag system for H-bars?-image_197.jpg  

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Found another picture with a different angle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front bag system for H-bars?-image_198.jpg  

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    They don't make the handlebar sling anymore, but they have the Harness, which is like the sling, but better. However, if you liked the old sling a little more like I did, head over to Oveja Nega threadworks, where they have the front end loader. I have one if you have any questions about it. It doesn't use velcro to attach to the bars anywhere, but instead uses locking adjustable straps, which make removal and installation a little more difficult, but IMO I don't mind because that's usually a one time hit.

I am putting mine on butterfly bars, not Jones bars, so I need to be a little more careful with where the mounts are positioned, hence me looking in to this a little more.

Yukon Rider

Porcelain Rocket Handlebar Bag

I have the Jones Aluminum Loop bar and the HBag fits quite well with main threaded between all the cables with enuf room for steering w/o line stretch. I can then put second integral component bag on the front of that.

I also asked Scott to put an outside open zippered sleeve pocket so I can have access to my tracking device ie. InReach. Really happy with this bag and still playing around with what it can accommodate; gear and clothing wise for a longer winter solo trip I am just getting ready for
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front bag system for H-bars?-pr-hdlbr-bag.jpg  

Front bag system for H-bars?-dsc_0007.jpg  

Last edited by Derek.Endress; 01-19-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: adding pics

2013 Salsa BearGrease
    2010 Surly Cross Chek
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight (regular tweaks)

I'm attracted to Gravity!

Works great - almost no bounce whatsoever - less than with a standard handlebar.

mtbr member

As someone posted above the Porcelain Rocket bags work fine with the various Jones H-bars...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi Big Papa, could you post up some more pictures of the Revelate sling in action? Without dry bag and with dry bag. I have one, but have never been very happy with the performance, but maybe I'm just attaching it wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've used a Revelate sling, the old one, but tbh the only advantage it has over 2 webbing straps is the protection from stem rub. I made a harness for my H's, basically a 2-rung ladder shape with pull-buckles - works fine. Pad the stem and all's good. The truss fork or a loop bar does help eliminate the headtube rub issue.
    The main thing I found with H's is to pack the bar roll narrower to avoid control / grip interferance.

Last edited by james-o; 01-28-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: add a better pic

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FoldersUnite View Post
    Hi Big Papa, could you post up some more pictures of the Revelate sling in action? Without dry bag and with dry bag. I have one, but have never been very happy with the performance, but maybe I'm just attaching it wrong.
    I'll see if I can't dig it out and snap some pics. I have been super happy with it and think it works great. What kind of issues are you having?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi, I'm just having trouble using the sling in conjunction with the small pocket. When I attach my dry bag and put the pocket over top, the stability is pretty bad and I find the dry bag bounces around too much. Perhaps I just need a better set of instructions on how to attach the sling and pocket.

Thanks for your time!

SEC
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My hubby and I have been using the Revelate sweet roll and love it. Pics on the website are accurate. Haven't experienced a lot of rain in it, and we live in the desert so not a huge consideration, but you could seam grip and it'd prob be waterproof

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The new and reworked Harness from Revelate works really well in terms of providing a firm & bounce free hold on pretty much any sized stuff sack. I'm using it with Jones Loop Bars, strapping it to the inner bars with the provided foam spacers. The cables I rout over the top, except front brake housing, which needs to long enough to go outside of the whole thingy.

The Harness is well made, but a tad on the heavy side. This undoubtedly helps stabilize bulky and weighty items. My son has the diminutive Sweet Roll which works well for shorter races and quick overnighters.

Only problem with the Harness/Loop bar application is access to an accessory Pocket. I don't have any of these, but it looks like the outer loop of the Jones bar would interfere. Attaching the Harness to this part of the bar has not worked very well for me, however.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Where was this picture taken? just curious. I run a similar setup with my Mary bars.

mtbr member
    I have a Sweet Roll on my Jones Loop bars. I prefer attaching it to the forward loop as that means I still have access to the front pocket and it's less strain on the brake/gear cables. I run quite a short (70mm) stem. If it was longer, I guess the weight might be too far out in front?

mtbr member

One option

Front bag system for H-bars?-acw_3598.jpg

I just finished this bag for a customer with loop bars. He wanted an accessory/map bag on top that was removable depending on equipment needs. The main handlebar bag in the photo is the larger of the two versions that I make but the smaller bag also fit. He found he could anchor the bag to the leading or trailing bar but when it was anchored to both it was very solid.

good luck,

Andrew

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwater View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACW_3598.jpg 
Views:	1395 
Size:	301.7 KB 
ID:	777877

I just finished this bag for a customer with loop bars. He wanted an accessory/map bag on top that was removable depending on equipment needs. The main handlebar bag in the photo is the larger of the two versions that I make but the smaller bag also fit. He found he could anchor the bag to the leading or trailing bar but when it was anchored to both it was very solid.

good luck,

Andrew
    That is a great looking bar and bag combo Andrew.
    I just ordered a Jones H-bar for my 29er Rails to Trails bike and might be looking for something like this.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    i've got some pics on my flickr of my revelate set up on loop bars and h bars if it helps?

Flickr: dRj0n's Photostream

some recent on the krampus, some on a pink IF and some on a vertigo ti w fox fork...