mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Frame Bag attachment point idea, advice needed. Full zipper enclosing top tube.

I'm about to do a DIY frame bag for my On One Fatty, and I'm looking for some advice on attaching it to the frame.

It looks like most use multiple velcro tabs. This seems like a good route, but I feel like I can do better, since this will be custom to my frame.

My idea is to completely enclose at least the top tube(s) in fabric, and enclose with a zipper. Because of the dual top tubes of this frame, a centered zipper won't touch the metal, and I would overlap fabric under it just in case. I am also considering using neoprene for the top tube wrap, so that there is some give and softness to it.

I might go the same route for the down tube, or I might sew in a stiffener and bolt to the water bottle bosses. I am leaning towards that route in order to give more shape to the bag.

Has anyone done this before? My searching hasn't shown anything like this yet. I hope that doesn't mean that it is a bad idea.

I am a pretty solid sewer and I am looking to make a pretty overkill bag: Vinyl Coated Polyester, big zipper for opening, very water resistant, and filling the whole front triangle.

Any comments on other attachment methods is appreciated as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Here's something similar...
    Rich Shoup - ShareMyArtwork - Custom Artist Websites

These bags run over the top tube and velcro closed (personally, I hate zippers). Plus, if you look around the site a little, he is now using a stiffened section to mount to cage bolts.

Ahhh the pain....
    Quag,
    I made my own frame bag and before doing so, did tons of reasearch on what others have done. I would definitely made the top attachment as long as possible but be mindful that if you plan to put any bags on top of the top tube (ie, a gas tank or bag in front of the seat post) you'll need space for those straps to grab the top tube. A zipper is good, but I like a long piece of velcro for adjustment. You'd have to get that zipper just right or put a lot of neoprene to provide tension.
    I have also seen attachment to the waterbottle bosses on the DT. I would be sure to sew in a stiffener and use a few flat washers to distribute the load. I made all my surfaces that touch the bike double thickness with some 1/8 high density foam inside. Then if I carried anything kinda hard, it would not rattle and possibly do damage. Depending on the size you may want to have compartments that will also keep the bag from bulging. Hope all that helps!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    there's another method of attachment, that doesnt use velcro... I am planning a small frame bag myself; and am going to go this route;
    tri glides and 1" straps.
    CamoDeafie's Tactical gear and bike-packing blog-
    http://sbtactical.wordpress.com/

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    there's another method of attachment, that doesnt use velcro... I am planning a small frame bag myself; and am going to go this route;
    tri glides and 1" straps.
    A word of warning....... If you are worried about your frame finish then the webbing and tri-glides will probably eat it faster than velcro and possibly more difficult to attach and detach.

mtbr member
    I'm considering putting daisy chains of webbing around my next frame bag, then using either velcro one-wrap, or a bunch of paracord to attach it to the frame.

It adds a bit of weight I guess, but this way the velcro isn't part of the bag, so can be moved to accommodate gas tanks etc, or replaced if/when its grip wears out.

And it's a way to carry a bunch of extra paracord in case of emergency.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    A word of warning....... If you are worried about your frame finish then the webbing and tri-glides will probably eat it faster than velcro and possibly more difficult to attach and detach.
    and the velcro's backing isn't any softer/less harsh on the paint finishes?

I've been using Poly webbing for a while; and it hasn't rubbed the finish on my bicycles....then again; these bike frames' finishes aren't high end or anything close to a car's finish with the sensitive gloss coats....the tri-glides do not contact the frame at all, only the webbing, at least how I've done it...
    thanks for the warning though!

Quote Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
    I'm considering putting daisy chains of webbing around my next frame bag, then using either velcro one-wrap, or a bunch of paracord to attach it to the frame.

It adds a bit of weight I guess, but this way the velcro isn't part of the bag, so can be moved to accommodate gas tanks etc, or replaced if/when its grip wears out.

And it's a way to carry a bunch of extra paracord in case of emergency.
    now that's not a bad idea actually...instead of paracord, you could use the shock cord to make it nice and tight against the frame?
    CamoDeafie's Tactical gear and bike-packing blog-
    http://sbtactical.wordpress.com/