Thread: Fly with bike?

mtbr member
    May 2013

Fly with bike?

Hello all,

Quick q: Have any of you taken your bike on an international flight? If so, what is the best way to "pack it" etc?

Thanks

Mike

aka RossC
    I flew mine to the US from Aus. It just went in a cardboard box, a little bit of cardboard and foam padding and all my assorted bikepacking junk packed around it. I think I calculated that it went through something like 13 different airports during my trip and it was fine although it was more tape than box by the time it made it home.

The only thing I did that was a little different was re-inforce the handle holes on the side of the box with some plastic sheet glued internally. Every time I have had a cardboard box fail, it is where the side of the box is torn open by baggage handlers pulling at the handle holes.

mtbr member
    I went from Texas to Portugal once (still riding around in Europe) back in 2004. The airlines told me then if I left the bike assembled then it should not have any issues. When I questioned what they meant by that the lady said if I took off my tires then it would just be thrown around like the rest of the luggage.

Landed in Lisbon and all was well with my bike and started skirting the coastline south that afternoon.

Took many of Military Hops back when I was in the service and never had trouble there either.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan67 View Post
    I went from Texas to Portugal once (still riding around in Europe) back in 2004. The airlines told me then if I left the bike assembled then it should not have any issues. When I questioned what they meant by that the lady said if I took off my tires then it would just be thrown around like the rest of the luggage.

Landed in Lisbon and all was well with my bike and started skirting the coastline south that afternoon.

Took many of Military Hops back when I was in the service and never had trouble there either.
    Did you box it or send as is?

M

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ocean breathes salty View Post
    I flew mine to the US from Aus. It just went in a cardboard box, a little bit of cardboard and foam padding and all my assorted bikepacking junk packed around it. I think I calculated that it went through something like 13 different airports during my trip and it was fine although it was more tape than box by the time it made it home.

The only thing I did that was a little different was re-inforce the handle holes on the side of the box with some plastic sheet glued internally. Every time I have had a cardboard box fail, it is where the side of the box is torn open by baggage handlers pulling at the handle holes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike123456 View Post
    Did you box it or send as is?

M
    I sent it as is, completely ready for the trails as I landed. All my bags I stowed in two duffel bags.

I spent about an hour looking over my bike when I picked it up but found nothing at all wrong with it, even my head light was still at the proper setting.

I had expected something to be wrong but that Lady at the flight counter was right, leave it together and all will be handled with care.

Good luck on your trip, and I hope you find many new reasons to keep traveling.