Thread: Fishing rod?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Fishing rod?

What type of bag do you use when carrying your rod on your bike? Are some of you using a collapsible rod? Thanks

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by commutenow View Post
    What type of bag do you use when carrying your rod on your bike? Are some of you using a collapsible rod? Thanks
    Barbie.

Works great.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

@adelorenzo
    I have a packable rod and reel spinning kit that I got for about $30 at the Canadian Tire. I think the rod is about 6 pieces. it packs down small enough to put into a Thomson seatpost bag and that fits inside of my pack. Reel just gets shoved into a bag somewhere.

Those Tenkara rods look pretty sweet for a very packable option if you are into fly fishing but they are not cheap.

Two Headed Boy
    I had a 5 piece fly rod that packed down to around 21" that I used bikepacking, and whilst not the nicest rod I've used worked well for what I wanted. I packed it along my toptube and it stayed very safe!

*edit it was a 5 piece, not a 4*
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    Inexpensive Sage 5 piece fly rod.. Comes in it's own case and fits in a messenger bag or can be strapped to a pack easily...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I haven't, but if I did, it would probably be a 3/4/5 piece rod strapped to my handlebars.

You don't need to get super spendy, either. Buy a few cheapo rods (check garage sales/flea markets) and practice cutting them down/fitting them with ferrules. It's not hard to do at all, and it'll save a ton of cash. You'll need to find a place that sells stuff for building blanks, though.

mtbr member
    I used to strap a two-piece Fenwick in a structured/padded case to my backpack but this year I am going to give Tenkara a try. Picked up a rod and the fixings and it takes up very little space. Will post a photo or two when I get some.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For u/light I use telescopic made by Shakespeare , fits in my pack. For med-action I use a 4 piece browning that came with a plastic tube that also fits in my pack. I have to remove the reel on the browning so it fits in the plastic tube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by poconomtbiker View Post
    For u/light I use telescopic made by Shakespeare ...
    Which model, how long is it and how much does it weigh? What's the action like?

Single Speed Junkie
    Been through this one a few times now. Best rod I found and currently using is a Tenkara.Tenkara USA

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Cabelas 5 piece graphite 7.5' spin rod medium lite action and a Cabelas 5 piece graphite 9' fly rod for 5 wt line. I usually carry them in my backpack except when moving from spot to spot.

hth

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Which model, how long is it and how much does it weigh? What's the action like?
    I don't remember the model but its about 4 1/2 feet U/light that I use with 4 pound test mono. It isn't the best action but it works great for trout and panfish. I purchased it at ***** Sporting Goods and I also have seen it at Walmart. It is light and very handy to keep in the pack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by poconomtbiker View Post
    I don't remember the model but its about 4 1/2 feet U/light that I use with 4 pound test mono. It isn't the best action but it works great for trout and panfish. I purchased it at ***** Sporting Goods and I also have seen it at Walmart. It is light and very handy to keep in the pack.
    Just pulled it out of my pack, it is a Shakespeare SPT 46. Have had it for about 10 years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Cheers. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    I don't know if the OP already made a purchase but if not, check out EMMROD:

Welcome To EmmrodŽ Fishing Gear's official Site

The handle disconnects from the rod for packing.
    Ventana El Rey
    Felt F35
    Schwinn High Plains

Projects - Surly Ogre, On-One Inbred EBB, Amp Research B2

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just picked up an 8', 8-piece fly rod for $25 at some sporting goods shop in Oklahoma when I was there for work. I plan on taking it backpacking in a few weeks, and it ought to work for bikepacking too. I'm not even going to use the reel, just tied the fly line to the reel seat (no backing of course). So, i guess it's kinda like one of those fancy-ass "tenkara" rods, but if cost waaaaay less. Casts fine in the yard... going to take it on the river soon and see how it fishes. I'll just be fishing for small trout, so not having a reel isn't going to be a problem. I've never really need the reel on my other fly rods anyway, besides for storing the line...