mtbr member
    May 2013

Fisher/Trek Monano

Have been shopping and contemplating getting a bike to use for cummuting and as a light bikepacker. Since I would only reasonably do that a couple times a year tops, I couldn't justify spending big (and I have a pretty nice 29er). Long story short I just picked up an almost new just very neglected Gary Fisher/Trek Monano for a song. New tubes/maybe new tires and a full tune up is all it takes to get it running. It has all the mounts for panniers including low front, so it's ready to go as far as starting to outfit it.

If anyone has any info other than what I was able to find online, that would be great. Especially any experience using this for light trail/forest road bikepacking.

In any case, I am psyched to have scored such a deal

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So got it home and gave it a mini-overhaul. New tubes, trued wheels, cleaned the drive train, adjusted brakes. Clearly he wrecked on it and that's why it has been sitting. The handlebars and seat stays were bent. I straightened the seat stay and am living with the handlebars for now. Took it out for a run through, what a blast. Very quick bike, responsive steering (even with the bent bars). SO new bars, new seat, fab up some flat aluminum fenders, front and rear rack....can't wait.

I think I'm going to go for something like this only with flat bars.
    Fisher/Trek Monano-large_yggy7hobm5zyxedbbcwt.jpg