Thread: First timer!

'11 Opus Strat

First timer!

Hey all!,

FINALLY got my ride upgraded, tuned and ready to roll for this season, and already planning a simple 2hr ride to a very nice lake for an overnight camp out and back home again.

I have a couple of questions..

Firstly, does or has anyone do/done this? If so some pointers and experience tips would be awesome! ( First timer )

We will ( 3 of us ) all have large packs on and 2 out of 3 will be towing a trailer with gear and most camping essentials, ie; Tents, sleeping bags, water, food, small camp stove,( few wobbly pops ), etc. We looked into some actual bike travel trailers but don't want to drop that kind of cash for a first trip. So we are substituting them with kid bike trailers! haha. I have a Burley for my kid and my friend has a Chariot for his. I figure these will work since there is really no crazy off-roadin' there or into the bush trail to the lake.

We all have spare tubes, spare chain, pumps, etc. Just trying to be a bit weight conscious as well.

Anything else I might be missing? Thanks guys!

( Originally posted in General Discussion )
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I'm surprised you could hear her complaining over the sound of the vacuum.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Firstly, does or has anyone do/done this?
    I think pretty much the entire S24O crowd does that.

If so some pointers and experience tips would be awesome! ( First timer )
    Don't worry too much about making mistakes. Worst case, you're only 2 hours away from home, and you're only gone one night, so unless it's truly life threatening don't worry about forgetting stuff.

So we are substituting them with kid bike trailers!
    That should work just fine, as long as the trailer can actually make it down the trail.

We all have spare tubes, spare chain, pumps, etc. Just trying to be a bit weight conscious as well. Anything else I might be missing? Thanks guys!
    • For the love of god and all things holy, please, PLEASE get in to the habit of telling someone where you're going, when you expect to get back, and when/where to send the search party if you're not back by then. IMO this is a good practice regardless of duration of the trip.
    • Tools: IMO a multi-tool with a chain breaker on it, patch kit, spare tubes and a pump should be enough for the first time .
    • Instead of a spare chain, consider just carrying a master link or two and 1-2 links of chain, plus a chain breaker. Most problems can be fixed with 1 master link. Most of the other problems can be fixed with 2 master links and a section of chain.
    • Build up a checklist of stuff after each of your first few trips, so that you don't forget stuff later, and slowly get a nice kit together of stuff that works for you.

Moderator Moderator
    If not already on your list I'd suggest something to keep you and your gear drier in case of rain, at least a rain jacket for you and garbage bags for gear. Wet person + wet gear = misery pretty quickly.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    +1. If we're talking rain, something dry, warm and comfortable to change in to at your destination will do wonders for your morale, health and comfort. Most sleeping bags do not fare well when wet either, especially down bags. Garbage bags are a great idea, because you can also use them to carry out your trash (on the return journey, you don't care if your clothes get wet).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

First timer!

Just do it! I didn't see anything obvious missing from your list. Plus you will be close to home. Shelter, food and water should about cover it so long as bikes are ready to roll. Not much in the "terrible" department that can go wrong in this scenario. And feel lucky you have a place so close by to camp at!

Oh, one more thing - take pics and give us a report!

'11 Opus Strat
    Well what a trip!, Thanks for a ll the input guys! Gave us some confidence.
    It was a 40km round trip so nothing huge..BUT, the route was INTENSE!.. We kind of knew what we were getting into with the condition of the roads and the mass amount of very steep hills.. Took us an extra hour almost chugging those trailers up the inclines!. We arrived at a decent time and setup camp, had some grub, coffee, drinks and passed out. Woke up, ate, packed up and I myself did a quick solo tour of the lake before we left, Was beautiful and some of the best single track I have been on for a while ( we live in farm country so trails/mtb trails are rare. ). Headed it back home, was so much easier with this time with all the hill working for us..lol.

Here is the kicker.. I have a decent mid-high end bike, well over 1000$ in upgrades.
    My brother ( 31 ) and my little cousin ( 19 ) were riding good ol' big box store bikes, One Canadian Tire the other a Wallmart ( neither over $200 ). Both pulling trailers were nearing 60lbs + ( especially the trailer with a jug of water ). Did not have one single issue with the bikes, even on some really rough road and trail the stayed sturdy,
    .... must say I was fairly impressed but very weary still, hoping we wouldn't have a major breakdown! I was kind of eating my words at the end when at the start I told them both I will be pissed if one of those bikes brakes down because I needed this vacation..LOL. Will post some pics shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I'm surprised you could hear her complaining over the sound of the vacuum.