mtbr member
    Oct 2011

First packrafting trip - Canyonlands

Quick two day trip to practice rigging and floating with a fully loaded bike on an Alpacka:

Rode from Moab over Hurrah Pass and down Lockhart basin to the Colorado River at the mouth of Lockhart Canyon. Paddled about 5 miles downstream to Lathrop Canyon where I rolled up the raft and rode up to the White Rim, then on to the Shafer Trail and back to Moab via the Mag 7 trail system.

The ease with which one can carry, rig and use a very capable little boat is quickly opening up all kinds of new trips for me!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Very nice! Id love to do a trip like that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Cool. I've thought of doing something similiar but how are you getting the krampus downstream? Are you cramming it in the raft you? Do you have any pictures while floating?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No pic from on the river, as it was freezing cold and I was racing the quickly approaching November twilight. I arranged my bike in one of the two or three prescribed ways: front wheel removed, bars tied sideways, bike lashed down on the fore part of the raft with the loose wheel and luggage on top. Like shown in this Mike Curiak image:

mtbr member

First packrafting trip - Canyonlands

Pack raft is on my list of things to buy some day.

mtbr member
    Great trip. Thanks for the pics.
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    Quick two day trip to practice rigging and floating with a fully loaded bike on an Alpacka:

Rode from Moab over Hurrah Pass and down Lockhart basin to the Colorado River at the mouth of Lockhart Canyon. Paddled about 5 miles downstream to Lathrop Canyon where I rolled up the raft and rode up to the White Rim, then on to the Shafer Trail and back to Moab via the Mag 7 trail system.

The ease with which one can carry, rig and use a very capable little boat is quickly opening up all kinds of new trips for me!

Nicely done. Amazing how chilly it is in the 'warm' desert this time of year.

I think I was upstream of you on the Green that same weekend, or close to it. With bike on boat and boat on bike no less.