mtbr member
    Nov 2010

First overnighter -- Central Oregon

Took my first stab at bikepacking. Went with two friends from Clear Lake (top of McKenzie River Trail) east along the north side of the Mt. Washington Wilderness to Big Lake and back.

It was a great time and a good lesson.

1) I packed WAY too much stuff. Threw everything into a borrowed Bob trailer the morning of departure and did not prioritize what I really needed. This turned out to be a challenge when the trail became much more sandy than we anticipated. The only one with smooth sailing at that point was the friend with the Pugsley with 4.0 tires. Seemed like he could float over anything!

2) I made do with what I had (such as a sleeping bag the size of a large suitcase when stuffed in its sack). Yes, it is good that we are all on the quest for the perfect gear and the ideal setup. But I am becoming more of a believer in "get out and try it" than in "read about it and plan for it and maybe someday do it".

3). Gear that worked well: the Jetboil stove and the Mountain Hardwear PCT2 tent. Things that were a challenge: a 1x10 drivetrain and the Bob trailer in loose, shifty soil.

Anyway, we all had a great time and I learned a lot. I now see some frame bags and a Surly Ogre in my near future!

Here are some photos:

First overnighter -- Central Oregon-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349133309.658064.jpgFirst overnighter -- Central Oregon-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349133351.136113.jpgFirst overnighter -- Central Oregon-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349133379.582024.jpg[ATTACH]727806[/First overnighter -- Central Oregon-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349133508.865199.jpgATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First overnighter -- Central Oregon-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349133431.210664.jpg  

mtbr member
    Good stuff! Totally agree with you about getting out there. I keep thinking about getting a BOB trailer, only because it is the quickest way to get out. Are you concerned about getting bags and then also having to get more ultralight (smaller) gear (like your sleeping bag)?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For gear, a light/small ~30 degree sleeping bag is the main thing I need. The Bob trailer has pros and cons. It is easy to disconnect and then take off on the bike without gear. On the other hand, I think frame bags would feel better when riding. They would get the weight of the gear more centered on the bike and not induce some of the weird swaying/fishtailing I experienced on this trip with the Bob. On smooth single track with hard pack, the Bob rode well. In loose stuff, the trailer would sometimes seek the lowest, softest line and pull the bike in with it. And when standing on the pedals (on any surface) the trailer would give me a weird feedback if I tipped my bike side to side when riding.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    But I am becoming more of a believer in "get out and try it" than in "read about it and plan for it and maybe someday do it".
    Words to live by.

Nice pictures thanks for posting them.

I hope you will keep us informed on your plans for tuning your bikepacking kit.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A couple more photos. Note the Pugsley, which was a blast to try out on the lakeshore.

First overnighter -- Central Oregon-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349145871.669840.jpgFirst overnighter -- Central Oregon-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349145905.435662.jpgFirst overnighter -- Central Oregon-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349145938.026576.jpgFirst overnighter -- Central Oregon-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349146004.317719.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Compare my tracks to those of the Pugsley!
    First overnighter -- Central Oregon-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349505581.137740.jpg

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackLovr View Post
    Words to live by.
    Just what I was thinking!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That is my Pugsley in the photos. I can say that I was very happy to have the Pugs when we hit the long sand section of the Santiam Wagon Trail. Once you hit the gated/non-motorized section of the trail it all turns to the loosest sand you can imagine. The Pugs was able to navigate most of it by floating on the fat tires. I should have let more air out of the tires to about 9psi but I didn't want to have to pump them back up to 15psi for the road sections.

The Revelate Design bags made for a very balanced and centered load on the bike as well making navigation of the singletrack sections very easy.

After leaving my two travel companions at Clear Lake on day 2, I proceeded to ride another 18 miles of McKenzie River Trail to Belknap Springs campground for another night under the stars.

Gear used:
    Tent: Sierra Designs Lightyear 1
    Big Agnus insulated mummy sleeping pad
    Optimus Crux stove w/8oz fuel - packs into the Optimus Terra cook set - very small set up

Frame bag carried most of the heavy stuff like tools, tubes, pump, tent poles/stakes, tent, gel food, knife

Viscacha seat bag held - second set of clothes, rain jacket, arm/leg warmers, tent fly and footer

Backpack - hydration 80oz bladder, 3 days worth of freeze dried foods, water purifying tablets, stove/pots, sleep pad, medical kit, phone, back up gps, compass

Sleeping bag and baseball cap on the handlebars.