mtbr member

First fatty tour

Well that was fun. Left on Friday morning in a pretty steady rain to ride from northern NH over to VT to work for the weekend. It's just over 50 miles. The first 25 miles is big undulating hills on a pretty quiet highway. The second 25 is from the Connecticut river up and over on gravel road half climbing, half descent. It rained pretty good, but my rain attire worked perfectly. Bib shorts, long sleeve poly, and just get wet. The sun came out as I dropped down into Burke, which pretty much sums up Burke, VT for me.

I was fully packed up for a weekend of working, riding, and camping on my necromancer. Rear rack with panniers, Salsa Anything cages on the fork, an old handlebar bag, a gas tank and a seat bag on an already heavy bike. Oh, and I threw the fenders on last minute, and I'm glad I did. While it was obviously a bit slower and less efficient on the pavements, in the rain it was still a no worries ride. I had a Larry on the front and Hudu on the back aired up to about 17ish, and they rolled really well. Not worrying about what is in the road in front of you is a joy. Sand, gravel, shitty pavement, giant stick, small children, whatever...run over it.

On the gravel the fatbike obviously shined. The road was pretty smooth but a bit saturated from the rain. It would have been a slog on a touring bike. The descent was awesome, again what would have been a hairy white knuckle brake burning descent on a touring bike was a mellow stable brakeless 30mph descent of grins.

That was Friday. Today I did it in reverse to get home. The climbs were sunny and sweaty, the descents were rainy and cold. But other than that very similar.

First fatty tour-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372713159.610539.jpg

First fatty tour-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372713281.823385.jpg

First fatty tour-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372713377.581792.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks great. Even in the rain, a bad day on the trail beets a good day in an office. Nice pics!

mtbr member
    Looks nice. Post more pics if you got em.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    I've put several hundreds of miles on my Moonlander in the last few weeks, but your trip report has me yearning even more to do an overnighter! Love the photos and echo what Velo says, add more if you have them. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member

First fatty tour

No other pics, actually. I'm really bad about that....especially in the rain. Maybe a better one of the setup.

First fatty tour-imageuploadedbytapatalk1373116155.830499.jpg

mtbr member
    Very cool!